Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

Default Re: If PRIME Arvydas Came to the NBA, Where Would Have He Ranked As All Time Center?

Sabonis OWNED > Softy and Lucky (Duncan) David Robby :)

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Default Re: If PRIME Arvydas Came to the NBA, Where Would Have He Ranked As All Time Center?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    How did you know? He wasn't very impressive when he is playing for the Portland Trailblazers, and Rasheed Wallace was their best player during that time.

Sir Charles, you can't just predict that he is going to be an all star in the NBA because Prime David Robinson is going to schooled him in the 1990's.
    the man was in his 30's with bad knees and he was still effective. Rasheed was 10 years younger. by the time Sheed became their best player, Sabonis was 35.

Sabonis would have def been an all star had he come in his prime and trust me Robinson didn't want none of him. he could still grind with Shaq who was also 8 years younger than him.

LB23 how you gonna give props to D-Rob for winning the Olympics with the Dream Team? crazy.

Anyway Arvydas may be the most skilled center period. how many could step out and hit the 3 regularly and had a quick first step off the dribble. I think the thrashing by AS made Robinson go back and work on his game.

Sabonis had 136 three pointers in his NBA career.

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allball
    the man was in his 30's with bad knees and he was still effective. Rasheed was 10 years younger. by the time Sheed became their best player, Sabonis was 35.

Sabonis would have def been an all star had he come in his prime and trust me Robinson didn't want none of him. he could still grind with Shaq who was also 8 years younger than him.

LB23 how you gonna give props to D-Rob for winning the Olympics with the Dream Team? crazy.

Anyway Arvydas may be the most skilled center period. how many could step out and hit the 3 regularly and had a quick first step off the dribble. I think the thrashing by AS made Robinson go back and work on his game.

Sabonis had 136 three pointers in his NBA career.
    1-31 to 38 YEARS OLD (Past His Physical Prime: Less Speed, Less Potence, Les Agility, Less Leaping Ability)

2.INJURED FOR ALL OF HIS NBA CAREER (Major Injuries, DEAD KNEES, Crippled Knees)

Shaq said: "HE WAS THE BEST PLAYER I FACED IN MY POSITION".

ENOUGH SAID! :rolleyes
    :

1986 FIBA World Championshiop All-Tournament Team

Drazen Petrovic (Yugoslavia)
    Arvydas Sabonis (USSR)
    Oscar Schmidt (Brazil)
    David Robinson (USA)
    Valeri Phonetics (USSR)

I think both Sabonis and David Robinson are great players during their prime, but i think the Admiral is the better overall player because he was the the 2nd best Center in the 1990's right behind Hakeem Olajuwon.

As good as Prime Sabonis in Europe i think it's pretty difficult to translate his game in the NBA during that time because there are plenty of great center in the 1990's, and if the accusation of injecting steroids is true. I don't think the NBA would allowed him to play in their league unless he would stop using those enhancement drugs.

David Robinson also won a Gold Medal in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, and He was the best player on the USA Team during the 1986 FIBA World Championship.

And the Admiral is one of only 4 NBA players to ever accomplished a Quadruple Double in the NBA.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23

I think both Sabonis and David Robinson are great players during their prime, but i think the Admiral is the better overall player because he was the the 2nd best Center in the 1990's right behind Hakeem Olajuwon.
    How does that show he is better overall than Sabonis?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. Old crippled Sabonis was leagues above those guys. He was also arguably the best guy to have versus prime Shaq. Imagine him in his prime.
    exactly. in his prime, he was unstopable. steroids or not, dude had made skill in every aspect of the game. I might say top 3 C of all time.

NBA rookie of the year

Prime Sabonis vs Prime Robinson would be a good matchup.

Footwork/Post moves- Advantage Sabonis
    Speed- Advantage Robinson
    Athleticism- Advantage Robinson
    Rebounding- Equal
    Passing- Advantage Sabonis
    Defense/Shot Blocking- Advantage Robinson
    Shooting- Advantage Sabonis
    Size/Strength- Advantage Sabonis
    Scoring Mentality- Advantage Robinson

Both have advantages in many areas but I don't think either was clearly better at their best. Robinson is a top arguably a top 5 defensive center of all-time and possibly a top 5 scoring center as well but Sabonis was a better passer and a superior low post player. Sabonis was also a better shooter but Robinson could get to the basket at will and draw a lot of fouls.

Robinson's pre-injury career(7 seasons)

25.6 ppg, 11.8 rpg, 3.1 apg, 3.6 bpg, 1.7 spg, 52.6 FG%, 26.1 3P%, 74.7 FT%, 38.1 mpg, 557 games

Accomplishments during that time
    1989-1990 NBA Rookie Of The Year
    1991-1992 NBA Defensive Player Of The Year
    1994-1995 NBA MVP
    All-NBA First Team(1991, 1992, 1995, 1996)
    All-NBA Second Team(1994)
    All-NBA Third Team(1990, 1993)
    7 time All-Star(1990-1996)
    1993-1994 NBA Scoring Title
    1991-1992 Blocks Leader
    1990-1991 Rebound Leader
    One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History
    Only player in NBA history to win the Rebounding, Blocked Shots, and Scoring Titles and Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and MVP
    One of only four players to have recorded a quadruple-double
    First player in NBA history to rank among the top five in rebounding, blocks and steals (per game) in a single season
    Fourth player ever to score 70+ in an NBA game
    Third player in NBA history to rank among the league's top 10 in five categories (7th in scoring (23.2 ppg), 4th in rebounding (12.2 rpg), 1st in blocks (4.49 per game), 5th in steals (2.32 per game) and 7th in field-goal percentage (.551)

Decent college freshman

I think Sabonis is being way overrated here. There's no way he's better than a prime Robinson(a guy that once scored 71 points in a game).

Sabonis is becoming overrated because of the "underrated" hype.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Let me get this straight, a player who could not do ANYTHING going to his left is now going to become of of the greatest centers in NBA history? Right...