Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: Who defended Jordan the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20
    Loki still trying to under play Payton's defense on Jordan?

He tells us to watch the series again but the problem is he only watched in a "Jordan angle". The rest of us all watched it in a unbiased view and all we got was "Payton did a great job on Jordan".

It's not a coincidence that Loki is the only one underplaying Payton's defensive effort and he's a Jordan lover. While everyone else is saying Payton did an exceptional job.

And for those who don't know, Karl and the Sonics came out into the series with a gameplan of double teaming Jordan while having Payton stick Pippen. That didn't work out too well after the 1st 2 games, and they stuck Payton primarily on Jordan from games 3 and on.

Jordan actually shot just 39% when Payton was his primary defenders in games.

And I love Loki's excuse of how Jordan was just "off"?
    That is the most pathetic excuse I have ever seen. Loki obviously does not know that wide open misses can occur if the opposing defender frustrates you to a point that you miss shots you usually do. Payton was one of those defenders who would get inside your head with his trash talking. Not to mention he also did a great job playing ball deny defense against Jordan which took away some of Jordan's stamina. So when Jordan got the ball, he'd have less energy as well.

But yeah, those "wide open" looks weren't all when Payton was guarding Jordan. So talking about them is pointless, not to mention the psychological/stamina effects Payton put on Jordan.

But yeah, saying a player was "off" is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard. No one has ever shut down anyone according to that excuse. Everyone just has been "off".

Local High School Star Copperhead's Avatar

Jordan wrote about it in one of his books.. Jeff Malone. Or maybe Jordan couldn't guard Jeff. Either way, he gave Jordan trouble.

One thing not included in the article... Michael Jordan rated Jeff Malone as the person who gave him the most trouble one on one in his autobiography over Miller, Dumars, Richmond, etc.
    http://archive.sportingnews.com/malone/memories-p.html

Some people here probably don't even know who the h*ll Jeff Malone is.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 07-15-2008 at 06:46 PM.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Rodman's rebounding (especially his offensive rebounding) was crucial, but not as crucial as Jordan's production at or better than his team's efficiency while drawing the bulk of the defense and creating opportunities for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Karl
    "As you evaluate the series, Dennis Rodman won two basketball games. Game 2 and tonight [Game 6], he was the reason they were successful."
    In Game 2, in which Jordan shot 9-for-22 (40.9 percent), Rodman grabbed 20 rebounds, an NBA Finals record-tying 11 on the offensive glass. In the deciding Game 6, Jordan shot 5-for-19 (26.3 percent). Rodman grabbed 19 rebounds, 11 on the offensive boards, tying the single-game record for the second time. Without Rodman getting those offensive boards and giving Chicago extra opportunities, they don't win those games. Period. And they lose the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Hershey Hawkins
    "Rodman was definitely the difference."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Askew
    "Rodman killed us."
    Quote Originally Posted by George Karl
    "His offensive rebounds hurt us. A lot of possessions, the momentum of the game, the style of the game, and even the scoreboard might have changed.”
    There's no need to downplay what Rodman did. The Sonics certainly didn't, since they experienced it first hand. And this was said at the time rather than 12 years after the fact.
    Last edited by ThaRegul8r; 07-15-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Banned

The Regul8r, would the Bulls have stood a better chance of winning the series with Dennis Rodman replaced by the average PF (say, 13 pts/9-10 reb), or with Jordan replaced by the average SG (say, 15/5/4)? Thanks. LOL @ the certitude of "and they lose the series." They stand a better chance of winning the series with an average PF than with an average SG.

That line of argumentation is just ridiculous. Dennis had a fantastic series on THE BOARDS (defensively he got abused by Kemp). Jordan both scored 35-50+% more than his second-fourth options on equal or better efficiency while occupying the bulk of Seattle's defense the entire series and creating opportunities for others.

How poorly would the rest of the Bulls have shot the ball if they could actually have been, you know, double teamed? Worse than the 37% Pippen shot? Worse than Harper's 34%? Worse than Kukoc's 42%? Worse than Kerr's 30%? Yeah. All the offensive boards in the world aren't going to save you from that.
    Last edited by Loki; 07-15-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
    The correct answer you're looking for is Joe Dumars.

You beat me to that.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Dumars was normally considered the guy that game him trouble.

Later, Doug Christie I think did the best. Not that it was ever in an important game but he usually did a good job.

I think Starks D on him was SO overrated.

I rule the local playground Inspector Rick's Avatar

I think "Which TEAM defended Jordan the best?" would be the most suitable question.

Clyde was a good defender. He did his part against Jordan at times.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MWOqPs-3LXA