Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Kobe Bryant is good, but can

Quote Originally Posted by w00terz
    With Gasol in the lineup, Kobe can score 25 points and win. Jordan never had a dominant center like Gasol on his team. Given the Lakers progression, I really think they will be a better team than the 72 win Bulls. Vujacic is like another Kerr, along with Vlad. Odom isn't as good as Pippen but Jordan never had truly dominant big men playing with him. Kobe may very well get another 3 rings but I still think Jordan is better.

Shut up Poseidon.
    My point is that Kobe deserves to be MENTIONED in the same discussion as Michael Jordan if he retires with the following achievements (all very likely BTW):

30,000+ career points

2-3 MVP's

2 Olympic Gold Medals

5-6 NBA Championships

2-3 Finals MVP awards

2-3 All-Star MVPs

81 points

62 in 3 quarters

4 straight 50+ point games

Average 40+ ppg in a month 7 separate times

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    . Right now 29 year-old Kobe's stats = 33 year-old Jordan's stats. I don't get why people think Kobe doesn't have to accomplish as much as Jordan to be considered his equal or better.
    True but you could look at what Kobe has done as the 1st option on his team. He's done a lot in 4 years. Also, Kobe took a step back this season as he obviously could have put up 30-32ppg this season.

I see what you saying though...

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Was Michael Jordan regarded the "best ever" at age 29?

Why not judge Kobe's career and his place in history when he retires and not during his prime years?
    He was! Like I've said before, we knew when MJ came into the league and there were talks of him being the best ever in 89. 1-9-8-9.

My point is that Kobe deserves to be MENTIONED in the same discussion as Michael Jordan if he retires with the following achievements (all very likely BTW):

30,000+ career points

2-3 MVP's

2 Olympic Gold Medals

5-6 NBA Championships

2-3 Finals MVP awards

2-3 All-Star MVPs

81 points

62 in 3 quarters

4 straight 50+ point games

Average 40+ ppg in a month 7 separate times
    Accomplishments don't make the player.

Sadly, Kobe played most of his career chasing accomplishments as if that would open the door for him to be better than MJ. He's just now realizing that's fool's gold. MJ didn't play to put up the biggest stats. His stats came cause he was just that good. If he was chasing stats, he wouldn't have retired twice! He would have played like Karl Malone and kept pushing those career stats beyond reach.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 06-02-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Banned

Not by everyone, but by alot of people he was, and everyone thought he was at least on his way.
    Alot of Kobe groupies will argue Kobe for GOAT and that Kobe is on his way.

Your point is pointless

Last edited by kobeFANNER; 06-02-2008 at 03:25 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore GreatLakes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by w00terz
    With Gasol in the lineup, Kobe can score 25 points and win. Jordan never had a dominant center like Gasol on his team. Given the Lakers progression, I really think they will be a better team than the 72 win Bulls. Vujacic is like another Kerr, along with Vlad. Odom isn't as good as Pippen but Jordan never had truly dominant big men playing with him. Kobe may very well get another 3 rings but I still think Jordan is better.

Shut up Poseidon.
    Now Gasol is a dominant center? Come on! Gasol is good. He is really playing out of position and would be a very good PF. But he is far from dominant.

Pippen is alot better than Odom, not just a little. How do you forget Rodman or Horace Grant? One is a potential HOFer and the other is an all-star caliber PF.

I am not stating this to make Kobe look better, just trying to make things abit more balanced.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kobeFANNER
    Alot of Kobe groupies will argue Kobe for GOAT and that Kobe was on his way.

Your point is pointless

Groupies are different. The media and analysts were saying Jordan was the GOAT or on his way. Right now, no one is saying that about Kobe. There saying he MIGHT be on his way to being up there with Magic, Bird, and/or Jordan, or at least thats what I've been hearing.

Groupies are different. The media and analysts were saying Jordan was the GOAT or on his way. Right now, no one is saying that about Kobe. There saying he MIGHT be on his way to being up there with Magic, Bird, and/or Jordan, or at least thats what I've been hearing.
    And that's only because they're hyping the NBA product. More people will watch if analysts keep saying Kobe is better than MJ. They'll watch to see if it's true.

Kobe groupies are the main reason Kobe isn't appreciated. They want him to be better than MJ so bad they keep comparing, only to have Kobe shot down everytime even though he is great player.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    He was! Like I've said before, we knew when MJ came into the league and there were talks of him being the best ever in 89. 1-9-8-9.
    No one said anything of the sort when he came in the league. If they would have thought that , he would definitely have been the number 1 pick. I agree that it seemed that MJ was transcendent in the league. But he definitely was not the "chosen" one like you're making it seem to be. Nobody expected anywhere close to the career out of MJ that he had.

Speaking of the "Chosen" one, LBJ is doing just as much (if not more) than MJ coming into the league to make you think that he could become the GOAT.
    Last edited by GreatLakes; 06-02-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Ask Mark Jackson or Greg Anthony who they think will be better in the long run. But I am sure you will just dismiss their opinions.

PS. I do think MJ > Kobe, but some of the reasoning that you guys have is questionable.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    And that's only because they're hyping the NBA product. More people will watch if analysts keep saying Kobe is better than MJ. They'll watch to see if it's true.
    I would've said the same thing but I left that alone. The reason being someone can say the media was just doing the same thing for Jordan. Either way, Kobe right now is not regarded as highly as Jordan was at 29.

Decent playground baller TheProphet's Avatar

Touch Michael Jordan? Kobe is on the verge of SLAPPING Michael Jordan in the next 4-5 years. Dude is just getting started. This article is going to look mighty foolish in a few years.
    Drink poison. It'll help.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakes
    Ask Mark Jackson or Greg Anthony who they think will be better in the long run. But I am sure you will just dismiss their opinions.

PS. I do think MJ > Kobe, but some of the reasoning that you guys have is questionable.
    Mark Jackson said that a long time ago, and you don't really hear that from him anymore. And yea Greg Anthony has said it, but thats one guy, and theres maybe a few others. Its not the majority opinion like it was for Jordan back then.

Decent playground baller TheProphet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakes

They read scripts provided to them by the NBA and ABC (make your characters you have look good). Look at WWE announcers, they say the same chit about popular wrestlers. Do you really believe they actually state their opinion. If you do, go watch any cable news show. They basically say the same chit.

If he really wants to "be like Mike"....he's going to need to play some pro baseball too