Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Worst single-season team to ever win an NBA championship?

Anyone saying 03 Spurs adverted something very reprehensible. You have to be out of your mind to denominate them as the worst single-season team to win a championship. They won more games that year than any of the other San Antonio Spurs championship teams. They eliminted the 3 time champions Los Angeles Lakers. Tim Duncan was at his peak during that year winning his 2nd MVP in a row. Parker, Bowen, and Steven Jackson were also present and were great role players. Lastly, it was David Robinson's last year in the NBA. He was still a solid player and the Spurs haven't had a Center as good next to Duncan since he has left.

I'd would agree with D-Fence who mentioned a 1940s team. That seems the most reasonable.
    Last edited by Gifted Mind; 05-29-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    The '04 Pistons are in the discussion along the same lines as the '79 Sonics, though I don't think they rate that low. Really good team, but it took facing a team in total dysfunction relying heavily on two former greats who were basically corpses at that point to win it.

If you can't consider a team truly great, then I think they're in the discussion automatically. And no one in their right mind can honestly call the '04 Pistons a great team. And yes, I know how good their record was after trading for Rasheed.

They weren't any better or worse than any of their other teams in their current run. A lot of really good teams, a model franchise that keeps churning along, one of the best organizations in sports and an example that an ensemble cast without a megastar can compete at the highest level, but great? No.
    That's ridiculous. That team was absolutely brillant post-Sheed trade. They had a minor misstep during the Nets series but rolled over everyone the rest of the way (and even in the games they lost, looked like the better team). I think you're probably letting Detroit's reputation for not trying hard in recent years cloud your thoughts here. The '04 Pistons were one of the better teams of this decade. '05 Spurs and '01 Lakers are the only 2 I would say are definitely better.

This is an especially bad comment when you consider that the '06 Heat won a 'chip this decade. Talk about a mediocre championship team. They never played better than above-average ball until the second round of the playoffs. Sure, they were really good for the last 2 series (especially Wade), but that doesn't change the fact that they are one of the worst championship teams of all time.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by D-Fence
    The 1948 Champions, the Baltimore Bullets. Back when the NBA was called the BAA (Basketball Association of America). This team had a 28-20 regular-season record, with a .583 winning percentage. They had to win a tiebreaker game to even make the Playoffs. They had a roster that made the '79 Sonics and '04 Pistons look as though they were loaded with stars. They were led by aging player-coach Buddy Jeannette (the last player selected to the All-NBA 2nd Team that season). Their leading scorer averaged 12 PPG. The team was only in the league because a few teams from the BAA's first season had folded, and so the league adopted Baltimore from the minor leagues. Everyone assumed the defending-champions Philadelphia Warriors, led by the league's best player, Joe Fulks, would win it. Somehow, they didn't.
    Nice, I like the old-school insight.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsizzle
    Miami Heat 05-06
    Co-sign

Quote Originally Posted by Gundress
    Co-sgin. Dallas vs Heat was one of the worst series along with Spurs vs Cavs.
    Dallas/miami was a bad series? I mist have missed that memo, cuz that series was VERY entertaining, I'm thinking about the games miami won.

Dunking on everybody in the park 206kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gundress
    Co-sgin. Dallas vs Heat was one of the worst series along with Spurs vs Cavs.

Spurs vs Cavs was bigger worst than Dallas vs Heat cause we all knew it whos going to won anyway.

are you serious? heat mavs was a great series and im not trying to be bias. and it had great ratings

Banned

By single-season, I'm assuming record wise. The Miami Heat from '05-'06 don't even come close to that, so LOL at you clowns saying they were. I haven't been watching the league long enough to know the worst team record wise, but it's definitely not Miami.