Default Re: easy solution to Cavs PG problem

Quote Originally Posted by sonicman
    They need to get Elton Brand somehow..
    He can opt out this season right?

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Disagree.

I've said it time and again. The biggest issue with the Cavs' offense is floor spacing and a lack thereof. The Cavs have the shooting and scoring at the 2 (Wally, Gibson, Sasha, Devin). Sure, they aren't great players, but they can knock down open jumpers and can be good role players.
    They dont have the shooting or scoring at the 2 on a consistent basis, and it's not just scoring either, they need a secondary creator on the floor. Gibson, Wally, Sasha and Devin cannot create offense for themselves or others consistently. Just look at how dangerous that team was when Larry Hughes actually had a game where he scored over 20 pts efficiently to go along with Bron's usual production.

The problem is that the Cavs do not have one post player. Z is a spot-up shooter. Joe Smith is a spot-up shooter. Varejao and Wallace are both completely offensively inept.

In order to have proper spacing, get open shots for your jumpshooters, and create driving lanes for your slashers, you have to have a guy in the post that defenses have to defend and be wary of at all times.

There are very few bigs out there, the only one that they realistically could get is Jermaine O'neal and his tires are flat. They need spacing, but they also need someone to create or carry the offensive load when LeBron is on the bench or going through a rough stretch, they have a bunch of shooters and only 1 creator on the team. Think of it like this, would they have lost the series to the Celtics if they had Jason Richardson in place of Wally?

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RajonKGcelts
    How do you think they will or should do that though, any good post players available draft or FA wise?
    The best answer to the problem in Cleveland is Elton Brand. It is interesting, because I do think that the Clippers would be willing to deal Brand, but they would want more than the Cavs have to offer.

In order to pull off such a deal, the Clippers would want in return an excellent young player (like the Celtics giving Minnesota Al Jefferson). The Cavaliers do not have such a player.

What the Cavs do have is $30 million in expirers and a good young prospect in Boobie Gibson. In order to get a miracle deal done for Brand, the Cavs would have to incorporate a third team that is desperate for cap space and one that owns the kind of young prospect that the Clippers would desire.

If Ferry could find that team, I believe with a good amount of expirers and draft picks, the Cavs could get Brand, but it is unlikely.

Lower tier established post players that I do think the Cavs could make a run at include Jermaine O'Neal, 'Melo, and Zach Randolph.

Any of the four guys I've listed could, possibly, put the Cavs over the top. It isn't like we are that far away as it stands right now.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    They dont have the shooting or scoring at the 2 on a consistent basis, and it's not just scoring either, they need a secondary creator on the floor. Gibson, Wally, Sasha and Devin cannot create offense for themselves or others consistently. Just look at how dangerous that team was when Larry Hughes actually had a game where he scored over 20 pts efficiently to go along with Bron's usual production.

There are very few bigs out there, the only one that they realistically could get is Jermaine O'neal and his tires are flat. They need spacing, but they also need someone to create or carry the offensive load when LeBron is on the bench or going through a rough stretch, they have a bunch of shooters and only 1 creator on the team. Think of it like this, would they have lost the series to the Celtics if they had Jason Richardson in place of Wally?
    bleedinpurple2 had a very interesting trade scenario that would address both the problem that you bring up and the problem that I bring up. I didn't like it at first, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

Here is what he came up with...

Cavs
    give: Gibson, Snow, Szczerbiak, Joe Smith, 1st rounder
    get: Vince Carter, Zach Randolph
    why?: win now, post scoring, relieve pressure off Lebron

Nets
    give: Vince Carter
    get: Boobie, Snow, Joe Smith, 1st rounder
    why?: dump VC and his ugly contract, get expirers, a pick and Booby

Knicks
    give: Zach Randolph
    get: Wally Z
    why?: dump Zach, get an expirer.

Cavs lineup:
    Delonte West
    Vince Carter
    Lebron James
    Zach Randolph
    Big Z

This trade really seems to make sense for all parties involved and would make the Cavs SIGNIFICANTLY better.

nashisbest
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    I think the lack of a consistent scorer from the SG spot is their biggest problem, they can get away without having a post threat if they would just let LeBron operate in the post every once in awhile.

They play elite defense, but have lottery offense, if they had a 17-20ppg scorer from the 2 they would be hard to beat.
    totally agree. lebron just need a no.2 consistent scorer on the team. let's not be greedy. just 1 will do.

theres no problem with the pg atm, delonte west is very good, he just needs 2 get his head right he is very capable just not consistent.

what they need 2 do is to put benedict wallets on the bench make a couple of trades and try and land there ass a decent post player in the proccess.

also get rid of Z for someone a little more athletic, someone that just doesn't have butter fingers like anderson varajeo, because the nights that varajeo wasn't dropping the ball he was dropping like 20 points all off assists from lebron, and then it was like 4 FT's.

with Z you basically have to spread the floor alot more for him to be effective, because he can't get out of the double team and he's very slow.

give lebron, andrew bogut as his center and Reggie Evans as his pf, along with delonte running the point and wally at SG, the cavs would basically win 55-56 games.

bleedinpurple2 had a very interesting trade scenario that would address both the problem that you bring up and the problem that I bring up. I didn't like it at first, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

Cavs

Nets

Knicks

Cavs lineup:
    Delonte West
    Vince Carter
    Lebron James
    Zach Randolph
    Big Z

This trade really seems to make sense for all parties involved and would make the Cavs SIGNIFICANTLY better.
    Th more I think about it the Cavs would probably have to throw in a few more pieces to make it work. I could see a deal looking like this though.

Cleveland trades: Varajeo, Szcerbiak, Gibson, Jones, Snow, Joe Smith, 1st rounder
    Cleveland gets: Carter, Randolph, Hassell, Marcus Williams

Z/Wallace
    Z Bo/Balkman
    James/Hassel
    Carter/Pavlovic
    West/Williams

Everybody knows why Cleveland does this deal, to get that much needed 2nd option and big inside thats able to finish. Losing Varajeo hurts a little, but with them having Ben Wallace he's expendable and with the way management treated him the last time he was a free agent theres no guarantee he re-signs after next season. Smith, Szerbs and Gibson while valuable last year are all expenable, and gaining Williams and Hassel along with Carter and Z Bo makes up for their loss and then some. The team would be much worse defensively but seeing Brown's reputation as a defensive coach, and the fact that the players would be playing for a title I see them putting a little more effort on that side of the ball.

NJ trades: Vince, Hassel, M Williams
    NJ gets: Szcerbiak, Smith, Cle 1st Round

Williams/Boone
    Smith/Kristic
    Szerbiak/Nachbar
    RJ
    Harris

New Jersey still wants to be competitive, they're not ready to let the world know their rebuilding, and because of that I doubt they do this deal without giving themselves at least the chance to still contend for the playoffs. Smith and Szerbiak could both be valable contributors in NJ. The only piece they might want to hang on to is Williams, but with them having Harris he's expendable. And on that they're getting another 1st round pick and getting out of under Hassel and VC's bad contracts and I can't see them saying no.

NY trades: Randolph, Balkman
    NY gets: Varajao, Gibson, Jones, Snow

Curry
    Lee/Varajeo
    Richardson/Chandler
    Crawford
    ?/Marbury

NY is a mess and I'm assuming this deal would at least peak their interest. Any time you have Curry as one of you're bigs you need the guy beside him to be willing to play D and do the dirty work and even though they have one guy like that in Lee, Varajeo would be another ideal compliment. Gibson helps them space the floor and give them another threat behind the arc, and Jones is just included as filler and as an expiring deal. With this move and them drafing or trading for a PG they could be closer to fitting the mold of a D'Antoni team.
    Last edited by 2LeTTeRS; 05-21-2008 at 09:04 AM.

I'm so tired of the true pointguard "problem". LeBron is the main ball handler. He is not a spot-up shooter so having a true PG would not help much there. He draws so much attention from defense, why would you want a PG take the ball away from him? He needs shooters like he got now to be able to spot-up when he gets the double team or a lot of defense on him. Just look at all the great wing players who has been able to win the title or atleast got close to it. They never needed a true pg.

What LeBron needs is a overall better team. Maybe not a superstar, but overall a better skilled team

NY can give them a PG and PF at the same time!

Marbury
    Randolph

for

Wallace
    Wally
    Snow

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by kidachi
    wedding ring?
    think you're funny eh...
    J will get angry

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

Mo Williams would be perfect for the cavs.

Cuba

Cavs

Nets

Knicks

Cavs lineup:
    Delonte West
    Vince Carter
    Lebron James
    Zach Randolph
    Big Z

That makes them better offensively, but defensively they would be horrible in my opinion. Zach Randolph is essentially what Drew Gooden would be if he had more shots and even less ability on defense. You get scoring but you get much much worse on the defensive side. I dont see Carter as the answer either, LeBron needs someone close to his own age that he can grow with, Carter is already showing signs of slowing down big time.

The pieces are there already, they just lack a number 2, if the Cavs had a consistent 17-20ppg scorer this year they would have made it past the Celts. I'd look for any 2 guard that can put the ball on the floor at times and hit the 3, they should consider calling up the Nuggets about JR Smith, with more discipline there's no reason he cant be a big scorer in the league. He's essentially the same player as Jason Richardson but younger.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

delonte did just fine.. IMO he is just suitable for the king... delonte can shoot well can penetrate.. RBA is right cleveland needs a post up guy.. if only they didnt trade gooden for boozer cleveland could have atleast won a game versus san antonio last year...

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Cavs

Nets

Knicks

Cavs lineup:
    Delonte West
    Vince Carter
    Lebron James
    Zach Randolph
    Big Z

How's it make sense for Jersey? They don't need Gibson, they have Harris and Williams. They don't need expirers, they don't really have any cap problems. I agree Carter's contract is ugly, but he's still producing at a high level. Have fun trying to re-sign LeBron with Carter's and Randolph's contracts on the books as well.

Give the Sonics a bag of Doritos for Ridnour, I bet he would fit in nicely in Cleavland.