Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: A Rookie 1984 Michael Jordan or a Current Kobe Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Obviously current Kobe. I'd prefer to watch Mike again though.
    I agree. Kobe's experience and ability to hit the J makes him a better player than '84 MJ. But there's never been a more exciting player than a 1984-90 Michael Jordan. I would donate my left nut to science research to watch Jordan play again from 23-24 years ago.

This is SUCH a joke. Kobe at the same age as rookie Mike was arguably better. Similar numbers, better shooter, better defender(All-NBA Defensive First Team the YEAR BEFORE).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    This is SUCH a joke. Kobe at the same age as rookie Mike was arguably better.

Jordan at 22(Most of rookie year)

28.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 5.9 apg, 2.4 stl, 51.5 FG, 17.3 3FG, 84.5 FT

Kobe at 22

28.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 5.0 apg, 1.7 stl, 46.4 FG, 30.5 3FG, 85.3 FT, All-NBA Defensive Second Team(First-Team year before)

Not to mention Jordan was in a faster paced, less defensive easier to score league.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Kobe at 22

28.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 5.0 apg, 1.7 stl, 46.4 FG, 30.5 3FG, 85.3 FT, All-NBA Defensive Second Team(First-Team year before)

Not to mention Jordan was in a faster paced, less defensive easier to score league.
    Lesser defense in the 80's? I'm not sure about that. What sport were you watching back then? Were you even alive in 1985?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore GreatLakes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Lesser defense in the 80's? I'm not sure about that. What sport were you watching back then? Were you even alive in 1985?
    Its true. Just look at scoring averages.

It's threads like these that make we want to get a sledge hammer and start swinging at the TC's head.

I'll take Jordan at birth (say 12 minutes old) over Kobe at age 83 with Leukemia.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakes
    Its true. Just look at scoring averages.
    Faster game, true. Less defense... not really. Different defense. More physical defense.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore GreatLakes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Faster game, true. Less defense... not really. Different defense. More physical defense.
    Sure more physical defense. But less athletic players. Guys not as long and able to cover as much ground. Easier to run your offense.

Banned

Kobe at 22

Not to mention that Jordan was the focus of every defense he faced as opposed to Kobe, who was playing with a top 7 all-time player in his absolute prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Not to mention that Jordan was the focus of every defense he faced as opposed to Kobe, who was playing with a top 7 all-time player in his absolute prime.
    Meh, I bet Kobe would still get similar numbers or higher when by himself. It might have been a bit harder but Kobe could adapt. But we'll never know which is why threads like this are worthless...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    Meh, I bet Kobe would still get similar numbers or higher when by himself. It might have been a bit harder but Kobe could adapt. But we'll never know which is why threads like this are worthless...
    Right. Because it's easier to score against double and triple teams than when you have a teammate commanding those double/triple teams, and it's easier to get assists passing to shooters than it is by driving and dumping it off for guaranteed dunks.

Funny when history tells us that a star is on his own team where he has to carry the load on a bad team...his numbers go UP. As Kobe's did without Shaq Oh yeah...and Kobe was operating in the triangle, not freelancing like MJ.

Banned

Funny when history tells us that a star is on his own team where he has to carry the load on a bad team...his numbers go UP. As Kobe's did without Shaq Oh yeah...and Kobe was operating in the triangle, not freelancing like MJ.
    Kobe's numbers went up only once they changed the defensive rules that benefitted all perimeter players. Nice try though. In 2005 and from '00-'04 in the games Shaq was out, his numbers were noticeably worse than when Shaq was in.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    They were different types of players. Rookie Jordan could most likely equal current Kobe's production, but Kobe's game management and the general polish of his game is more than what rookie Jordan's was. Rookie Jordan was also more of an energy/intensity player than current Kobe, so he could provide a spark that way.

I'd probably take current Kobe. I would take '87 and later Jordan over any version of Kobe, however.

This is a solid analysis. From a MJ groupie no less.