Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If Your Girlfriend Asked You To Stop Drinking...

would you stop?

Me and my friend are havin this discussion right now because her boyfriend said he doesn't like how she acts when she's drunk and he asked her not to drink anymore. She's flipping out saying that she would never ask him to change who he is blah blah blah. But I was telling her, drinking isn't a personality trait it's just something people do, so asking someone not to drink isn't trying to change THEM it's asking them to make a sacrifice, and relationships are largely about sacrifice/compromise.

To me it's not that big of a deal to give it up. I mean yeah it's fun but if it was upsetting someone i love that much then of course I'd give it up because when you weigh the priorities then the person comes waaay before the alcohol.

Just wanted some other opinions.

Default Re: If Your Girlfriend Asked You To Stop Drinking...

If you become an *******, then yeah I could see that. I wouldn't date a girl that drank regularly or smoked.

Thing she needs to realize is that guys are predators. Any time she's drunk, she is prey for men.

Decent playground baller TheProphet's Avatar

DOn't drink man. It's stupid chit. But it makes you forget about the long-hard work week and sex with random girls are totally awesome. But don't drink man.

I rarely drink because I am usually the designated driver so giving up the hooch for me is not a big deal. I can understand her not wanting to giving in to him. If he gets her to change this behavior he may think he can get her to give up other things.[COLOR="White"]If he gets her to quit drinking, he may have her eating right and going to the gym. We wouldn't want that would we?[/COLOR]

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

could be cuz she acts like a slut when shes drunk which would be very understandable

Ah the good ol stop drinking fight. What he should have asked her was to reduce her drinking and then give the reasoning why. This happens to be a problem in a lot of relationships because people act differently when they are drunk and it can really **** up the relationship.

Local High School Star

I don't understand why people drink so much anyways? Seems like the only thing people do these days is drink. Especially high school, college kids and the young adults. It's all they talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by KempSonics
    I don't understand why people drink so much anyways? Seems like the only thing people do these days is drink. Especially high school, college kids and the young adults. It's all they talk about.
    I'm not really surprised at how much they/we do it, i'm more shocked at how high a priority people make it. I've seen people leave their friends hanging to go drink with someone, I've seen people fail tests because they wanted to go drink, and now here you see people who might leave their boyfriend because they want them to stop drinking. People act like it's the greatest thing in the world

-primetime-
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    I'm not really surprised at how much they/we do it, i'm more shocked at how high a priority people make it. I've seen people leave their friends hanging to go drink with someone, I've seen people fail tests because they wanted to go drink, and now here you see people who might leave their boyfriend because they want them to stop drinking. People act like it's the greatest thing in the world
    It totally depends on the girlfreind...

I am trying to quit now as it is ....it is very tough

If it was a girl that I really cared about or was in love with I would def make a strong effort to stop drinking....not just for her but for myself.

It is everywhere though....every gathering/party/get together/holiday/wedding/funeral/ect.....EVERYWHERE!!!!....so it is almost impossible to avoid seeing it or being offered it a lot throughout your life...

people don't go to bars to drink water....the existance of bars is proof that people love to drink...and lets face it, on a weekend night for someone over 21 like myself there really isn't anything else to do....me and my freinds like to go out to the clubs and look for chicks and drink....we don't get any enjoyment from hanging out at home and playing monopoly while drinking cola and eating doritoes...

anyway....that was my drinking rant...but the answer is "YES" I would stop, if she was a girl that was worth it....as long as she is ok with spending weekend nights at the movies instead of going to any parties...

I have a wife.... and she wants me to quit drinking.

I must stay out of this thread, because a girlfriend is a diferent story.

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    Ah the good ol stop drinking fight. What he should have asked her was to reduce her drinking and then give the reasoning why. This happens to be a problem in a lot of relationships because people act differently when they are drunk and it can really **** up the relationship.
    +1

It's not the same thing to ask someone to quit drinking, from asking someone to control the way/amount they drink. The first one sounds pretty radical and unfair at first glance. The second one though, sounds much more fair and negotiable.

I wouldn't quit alcohol, but I would probably quit getting drunk to the point I'm wasted if it's affecting someone I love.

As a general rule, I don't like girls who get smashed outta their mind on a regular basis. I'd probably handle it better if I were drunk at the same time, but I don't drink so it can be annoying to deal with.

I'm a very responsable drinker myself, I don't like to lose control. It's definately something I look for in a girl too.

I could deal with someone who drinks from time to time, but I could NEVER date a smoker. That is just DISGUSTING. The grossest habit imaginable.

Drinking has never been much of a problem for me. After a few beers, I start to feel bloated. Not to mention, I dehydrate easily and I'm always hungry, so drinking doesn't mix very well with me, plus I hate that when I'm drinking, I have to get up to use the restroom every 10 minutes.
    Last edited by mlh1981; 05-11-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Stop drinking because YOU want to stop, not because your girlfriend says so. Grow some balls. I have a friend who has been smoking cigs since 6th grade and he just finally quit (22yrs old) only because a girl he liked doesn't like cigs. What a wuss.