Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Amare Stoudemire is WAYYYYY overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by The GM
    he played 55 games the year before nash came there, granted he average 20 a game but c'mon 55 games doesn't account for anything and he average 13the year before that and thats playing well??
    How can 20.6 pts and 9 rebounds in your second year not account for anything? I agree that he is a better player with Nash on the floor but to call him overrated is just crazy. He definitely needs to work harder on the defensive end but he has better free throw shooting and a mid-range jump shot than most others and he's still only 25.

MLK of NBA Minorities

Word brother. He is very overrated. The only player more overrated than Amare is Kobe.

Banned

my only beef with Amare now is he doesnt have heart or drive to win. He may pretend to sometimes if he makes some big dunk or block but he rarely steps up to carry them from game to game towards the end and disappears too much sometimes like hes ok with being a 2nd or 3rd option...thats why he doesnt deserve to be looked at on the top tier, because everyone else you put there wants the ball and usually gets it. How can you be 14-16 fg's and lose the game by like 12 or something? Get the goddamn ball Amare if you know your hot and can score at will. Hes too soft inside too but i guess you could make the case he should be a PF...he definitely doesnt like contact too much

I think people don't understand the phrase, " *insert player name here* makes his team better." To me, it means that a player makes the game easier for his teammates. Not that he makes them improve their jumper, or make them work on footwork, post moves, ball handling, etc. I think that's where people go wrong with Nash. He makes the game easier for everyone by finding them in good positions to score.

Nash doesn't make Amare a better jumpshooter. He does not make him a better finisher, or rebounder, or passer. Those are characteristics that must be improved on by the player. I absolutely HATE when people say Amare or Shawn are only where they are because of Nash. Marion has been putting up the same numbers for years without Nash. How has Nash made him better in terms of being a better finisher, shooter, or ball handler? Nothing, he is pretty much the same player he has been for years, but Nash makes the game easier for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
    Amare Stoudemire was rookie of the year, and averaging 20+ points per game before Nash was even there.
    Not to mention he got those numbers playing with ball hog stephon marbury.

my only beef with Amare now is he doesnt have heart or drive to win. He may pretend to sometimes if he makes some big dunk or block but he rarely steps up to carry them from game to game towards the end and disappears too much sometimes like hes ok with being a 2nd or 3rd option...
    Maybe a little. I know I have questioned his effort on the defensive end a lot this year, but I can tell you with certainty, that he is not okay with being the teams 2nd or 3rd scoring option. A lot of the time he gets frozen out of games, especially if the team is behind. They start launching three after three. He's already once expressed concern about lack of touches during crucial parts of the game.

thats why he doesnt deserve to be looked at on the top tier, because everyone else you put there wants the ball and usually gets it.
    Amare wants the ball, but at the same time, he plays in a system when on any given night, Grant Hill can have a huge game, Barbosa can have a huge game, Nash or Marion could step up. Mike D'Antoni when questioned about why Amare doesn't get the ball more said, "the system is set up to find the hot hand." I hate this philosophy. Yesterday against the Wolves, they completely froze Amare out in the second half because Bell and Barbosa were too busy chucking three's.

How can you be 14-16 fg's and lose the game by like 12 or something? Get the goddamn ball Amare if you know your hot and can score at will.
    The answer to your question is easy.

Offensive Rebounds:

Minny - 22
    Phoenix - 3

That's where you could put more blame on Amare.

Hes too soft inside too but i guess you could make the case he should be a PF...he definitely doesnt like contact too much
    Couldn't disagree more. Amare is one of the best finishers in the game. He finishes better than any big in the league after absorbing contact. He not afraid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Not to mention he got those numbers playing with ball hog stephon marbury.
    And most of the year with a rook in Barbosa as the PG after Marbury was traded.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rab

Couldn't disagree more. Amare is one of the best finishers in the game. He finishes better than any big in the league after absorbing contact. He not afraid of it.

but he does it mostly by avoiding contact, hes more a guard type big man than a Shaq like big man and thats why i get the impression hes soft i guess. Because he relies on going around everyone and avoiding contact than bruising his way in, even on D he doesnt look like he enjoys getting body'd down low too much. its kind of like in boxing or mma where you have one guy whos the aggressor backing up the other guy, and Amare is usually the one being backed up or tries to cut around them.

and yeah he does make alot of his and 1's from hack fouls. Its because hes quick and maybe one of the best short range jumper big men in the game. but we'll have to agree to disagree on him not being soft, altho he has the ability to makeup for that so its not that big a deal. I guess more on D and playing Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokee
    but he does it mostly by avoiding contact, hes more a guard type big man than a Shaq like big man and thats why i get the impression hes soft i guess. Because he relies on going around everyone and avoiding contact than bruising his way in, even on D he doesnt look like he enjoys getting body'd down low too much. its kind of like in boxing or mma where you have one guy whos the aggressor backing up the other guy, and Amare is usually the one being backed up or tries to cut around them.

and yeah he does make alot of his and 1's from hack fouls. Its because hes quick and maybe one of the best short range jumper big men in the game. but we'll have to agree to disagree on him not being soft, altho he has the ability to makeup for that so its not that big a deal. I guess more on D and playing Center.
    Well, he's definitely not your traditional post up, back to the basket center. I cringe even calling him a center, because he's not. He's always been a face up, blow by with quickness type of player. Occassionally he'll bust out some good post moves, and you're like, WTF???

I do think he looks uncomfortable on defense, and he doesn't like being bodied up, but I think that has more to do with him getting his ass kicked every night by bigger players. When he plays more players to his size, he's more physical.

I think there is a lot of untapped potential in him though. I just wonder if we'll see it sometimes.

Love me or Hate me Unreal Skill's Avatar

I love Amare and Ill admit that he's little overrated but definitely not "WAYYYYY" overrated like you said. 90% of NBA superstars are overrated either by little or a lot.

Banned

Amare IS overrated. He's still a great player, one of the best at his position. But he's still overrated and a moron. In the offseason, instead of working on his post game, he works on his 3-pt shot? WTF? The reason why he helps the Suns is so they could have an inside-outside game, not an outside-outside game.

Retired ISH Legend

Amare and Dwight Howard are in the same league, as raw, physical specimens. They dont demand double and triple teams in the post the way Yao Ming or Tim Duncan do. Half of Amare's points come off dunks because of Nash's brilliance. Half of Dwight's points come on dunks off offensive boards.

Banned

If anything, Amare is a dumbass. This summer, instead of trying to work on his non-existant post game, he spent all his time working on 3 pointers. Because obviously a 28% 3 point shooting 7-footer is just what the suns need

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain
    Amare IS overrated. He's still a great player, one of the best at his position. But he's still overrated and a moron. In the offseason, instead of working on his post game, he works on his 3-pt shot? WTF? The reason why he helps the Suns is so they could have an inside-outside game, not an outside-outside game.
    haha great minds think alike

Both teams played hard 2LeTTeRS KD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruinlove
    If anything, Amare is a dumbass. This summer, instead of trying to work on his non-existant post game, he spent all his time working on 3 pointers. Because obviously a 28% 3 point shooting 7-footer is just what the suns need
    You really think tahst the only thing he worked on? Some people need to grow a brain and not think that if they dont hear it on sportscenter it didnt happen.