Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Amare Stoudemire is WAYYYYY overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by dejordan
    forget it. we don't have the karmic cap space to sign nash's spirit. we could defintely get luke ridnoir's spirit for a karmic bargain though. so that's something to consider.

here's a question: would ty thomas look like a potential all-star if he played with steve nash (or kidd)?
    people would be saying ty thomas is one of the best big men in the game if playing with steve nash, it's a fact playing with nash makes you look better then you are. now everyone wants to slurp amare, amare is a very good player but he isn't a first tier big man in the league atleast not right now.

just:

How does everyone account for his shooting percentage jumping nearly 9% from his second to his third season, especially when it looked like he was going to be about a career 48% shooter. It's now 11.5% better now than the season before Nash showed up. Would Stoudemire have scored as much if Nash wasn't there? Probably, but he would been much more of a volume scorer than he is now. Nash allows him to play more efficiently (on offense anyway) and makes life a whole lot simpler. As an aside, his turnovers are also down.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Amare is NOT just a dunker. He is a very good shooter from midrange and has an excellent face-the-basket game in general. That said, he IS overrated. Defensively he's a joke. Sure, he blocks a lot of shots due to his athleticism, but he can't defend the 5 to save his life. Bynum drops 28 on him for a new career high, Jefferson burns him for 32/20 then 39/15... the guy just seems to be getting owned on the defensive end every other night.

Saw a basketball once BnchClearNBrawlR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The GM
    This guy is a product of steve nash just like Q-Rich was, and as soon Richardson left Nash look where his career went, down the tube. Amare doesn't have a consistant jumpshot to speak of, Nash basically gives him layups and dunks on every play off the pick N roll and has proven he can't create his own shot for his life. He's a decent free-throw shooter and should be a better rebounder. Now i do agree he is one of the best finishers in the game but i hear people calling him a top 15 player and i think that's total bs. I don't know how one can argue he's even in the same league as Duncan, Yao, KG, & Dirk as a dominant big man in the league. At this point i'd rather have Duncan, KG, Yao, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Chris Bosh all over Amare. We'll see in a few years when Nash retires how good Amare is but if he doesn't step it up and work in his game a bit he will come back down to reality, the potential is there but i think people give him way to much credit.
    Good point except you conveniently forgot to mention how he used to beast EVERYONE in the League with his strength, speed, and athleticism THEN had MICRO"friggin"FRACTURE surgery rob him of some of these assets. He's had to work on the rest of his game and may NEVER be like he was prior to SURGERY athletically but is still a GREAT player NOT OVERRATED!

"Don't make me clear the bench!" -BrawlR

National High School Star allball's Avatar

people would be saying ty thomas is one of the best big men in the game if playing with steve nash, it's a fact playing with nash makes you look better then you are. now everyone wants to slurp amare, amare is a very good player but he isn't a first tier big man in the league atleast not right now.
    rubbish

Amare Stoudemire is WAYYYYY overrated.
    LOL

Andrew Bynum is overrated

i think the reason people feel he's overrated is that he COULD be so much better than he is, but he's not. he doesnt work hard enough, he's not smart enough, and he doesnt have enough guts.

plus even tho he's statistically a good jump shooter, that's because he predominantly takes wide open jump shots. He doesnt create his own shot with a defender on his back, a la Duncan, Yao, Garnett, etc.

I rule the local playground joewait's Avatar

he blows on defense and is a cancer. he needs to be on a team where he is unquestionably not the best player so he can slide into his proper role

Quote Originally Posted by joewait
    he blows on defense and is a cancer. he needs to be on a team where he is unquestionably not the best player so he can slide into his proper role
    isn't nash unquestionably the best player on that team?

Both teams played hard 2LeTTeRS KD's Avatar

People who say this overrate the impact of an elite point guard. Name a player that performed at a superstar or even a star level with Nash, Kidd, or any other premier point gaurd and fell on their face when leaving.

I rule the local playground joewait's Avatar

isn't nash unquestionably the best player on that team?
    apparently not to Amare

So would you guys think amare's defense would be better if he played a 4?

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

I think everyone agrees that his defense is not good, be it because he plays against bigger, stronger guys night in night out or just because he doesn't put enough effort. But offensively, he's one of the best at his position.
    - He has a great looking jumpshot.
    - He is still quicker that most defenders.
    - He is a great finisher (he just has a feel for the basket).
    - He is a good FT shooter, which is good because he gets to the line often.

I usually hit open layups

Amare is not as overrated as before, even though he's still a little overrated.
    He is a beast on offense, even though his shooting percantage is helped a lot by Nash and Suns system.

The big knock is his defense, he can't guard legit big men, Yao,Howard, Duncan, Bynum, Jefferson etc all had big games against him. His defense is nowhere near top 10 in centers. What's so good when you score 30 points on 60% shooting but let your conterpart score 25 points on 55% shooting?

Basketball game has two parts: offense and defense. But normal fans and media members only see offensive numbers he put on so he's considered a top 3 center without doubt, even the top one as you can see he was voted to NBA first team.

That's why he's still overrated.
    Last edited by BonyFaceNDong; 01-24-2008 at 07:27 PM.