Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    echo484
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: oden out for season

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Not arbitrary at all. It's a common practice among basketball scouts.

Also, have you ever seen any of those players walk in person or are you making an assumption
    I've seen McHale, Kareem and Yao. I've seen Adam Morrison and a bunch of college players as well: Lorenzo Mata, Michael Fey, James Augustine (and they all would have flunked the Simmons test), but I didn't include them because they haven't proven to be effective players in the league yet. The rest I'm just assuming, based on how gangly they look and how non-fluid their movements are on the court. The Simmons test seems primarily concerned with fluidity (correct me if I'm wrong). It makes sense for a perimeter player to need to be mobile, but not necessarily bigs. Off the court, basketball players tend to look awkward anyways: their arms are too long for their bodies, they seem disproportionately long, their heads are too small, etc. I need something more substantive than off-court mannerisms to determine how good a prospect is. Maybe it's just me, though.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

The "movement test", like anything else in scouting, is not 100% accurate. It is pretty solid though.

It is extremely rare to see a NBA interior player that has a "bad walk" or that looks like he's in pain when he jogs find long term success.

Quote Originally Posted by echo484
    I've seen McHale, Kareem and Yao. I've seen Adam Morrison and a bunch of college players as well: Lorenzo Mata, Michael Fey, James Augustine (and they all would have flunked the Simmons test), but I didn't include them because they haven't proven to be effective players in the league yet. The rest I'm just assuming, based on how gangly they look and how non-fluid their movements are on the court. The Simmons test seems primarily concerned with fluidity (correct me if I'm wrong). It makes sense for a perimeter player to need to be mobile, but not necessarily bigs. Off the court, basketball players tend to look awkward anyways: their arms are too long for their bodies, they seem disproportionately long, their heads are too small, etc. I need something more substantive than off-court mannerisms to determine how good a prospect is. Maybe it's just me, though.
    did you just say Kareem didnt move fluidly???I just stopped reading after that..Check out him training with Bruce Lee or their movie..Sorry but that is just false

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by echo484
    The Simmons movement test seems kind of arbitrary, doesn't it? There are lots of guys (mostly bigs) that would fail the test but still manage(d) to play well (e.g., Yao, Mutumbo, Bol, McHale, etc.)
    Mutumbo and Bol weren't exactly graceful on the court you know, and neither was Bill Cartwright. McHale was a bit more early on, but his ankle injuries helped a lot of that diminish. Yao is actually a bit more smooth in motion than most bigs. He looks a little awkward when he runs, but he's several foot/ankle/leg/knee injuries away from being a true stiff.

You know who looked funny walking? Rik Smits. When I lived in Indianapolis, we saw him shopping at Cub Foods over by Michigan and 86th at like 2am one night. The building was like a warehouse with a ceiling at least three stories tall.. but he still walked as though he was dodging some invisible ceiling fan.

echo484

Quote Originally Posted by JalenRawley
    Mutumbo and Bol weren't exactly graceful on the court you know, and neither was Bill Cartwright. McHale was a bit more early on, but his ankle injuries helped a lot of that diminish. Yao is actually a bit more smooth in motion than most bigs. He looks a little awkward when he runs, but he's several foot/ankle/leg/knee injuries away from being a true stiff.

You know who looked funny walking? Rik Smits. When I lived in Indianapolis, we saw him shopping at Cub Foods over by Michigan and 86th at like 2am one night. The building was like a warehouse with a ceiling at least three stories tall.. but he still walked as though he was dodging some invisible ceiling fan.
    Yeah, I mentioned Zeke and Bol because they weren't fluid, but were effective nonetheless (at least on defense). I forgot to mention Smits, but he's another effective-but-awkward big.

echo484

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    did you just say Kareem didnt move fluidly???I just stopped reading after that..Check out him training with Bruce Lee or their movie..Sorry but that is just false
    Wasn't that in the 70's? The Kareem I saw obviously wasn't prime Kareem.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Greg Oden out for season after micro fracture surgery

*Bump

Just to see people's reaction thinking it is happening all over again

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Greg Oden out for season after micro fracture surgery

I hate you.