Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Bradly Beal, 50 mil to score 9 points in 31 mins in an elim game (Kblaze get in

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Your memory sucks. I linked the 36 page thread about his signing. I only once mentioned his trade value, and I just said a $50 million contract with a no trade clause would be harder to trade than a $35 million deal which is closey to his true value.

My primary objection to paying him is that we already know what to expect. The wizards have no path to being good with Beal on the roster. It just means they will stay on the treadmill to nowhere. Portland east is what I called them.

Not only did we spend another year in irrelevance with 35 wins. We missed out on some excellent draft prospects last year. Starting our tank in a lousy draft year is right out of the #sowizards playbook.

3 things had to happen for Beal to get traded.
    -the GM got fired
    -we needed another team dumb enough to trade for him.
    -beal had to approve the trade.

Even after the trade all we got was expiring and pick swaps and that was the best case scenario. The worst case scenario was spending another 5 more years on the treadmill to nowhere.

There was minimal upside to resigning Beal and major downside. That is not a bet I would ever make.

You aren't a wizards fan so you can't grasp the fact that fans aren't interested in spending another 5 years on the same treadmill we've been on for decades.
    I read it and that is what you said. It was dumb to sign him and the contract would be difficult to move at his number.

Didn’t hurt them, actually got them assets they wouldn’t have gotten without signing him, and contract was moved easily.

All your other points, many I agree with, have no relevance our discussion about Beal.

Default Re: Bradly Beal, 50 mil to score 9 points in 31 mins in an elim game (Kblaze get in

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    If you are gonna shift goal posts and try to say you only said

“the contract is able to be moved” and that’s it….

fine, you win, congratulations, send a thank you to Mat Ishbia for being a special kind of stupid. you can leave the thread now

My point remains the same

Beal contract is terrible value for his performance and health. The No trade clause makes it even more insane.

He’s going to be detrimental to any team trying to win because he simply does not pull the weight of his salary. He’s a burden.

Suns are now big time ****ed

It’s the worst contract in the league.

Just saw this too lol
    Glad you finally admit you were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
    Yup. Agree with everything you said.

Looking at it from the other side it feels like Phoenix got caught up in the moment after last year's playoffs. It was like Suns decision makers forgot the massive investment they made in KD because all they could see was Booker's historic playoff run...

Monty was the problem. Old CP3 was the problem. Ayton was the problem. Bench missing shots was the problem. Nah. the problem always was Phoenix has unrealistic expectation for Booker. He does not offer enough when he is not scoring. It is unfair to compare him to Steph but that is the role the Suns tried to put him in... Curry drew the defense away from the areas KD likes to operate and Booker just is not that caliber of player.
    i completely agree what you said. Suns also expected booker to be a lead playmaker this year. He was ok at it but not good enough to lead a team like the best stars. One reason suns got hot at end of year is they had beal play more pg.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41 View Post
    I read it and that is what you said. It was dumb to sign him and the contract would be difficult to move at his number.

Didn’t hurt them, actually got them assets they wouldn’t have gotten without signing him, and contract was moved easily.

All your other points, many I agree with, have no relevance our discussion about Beal.

Contract was moved easily? That is just dumb. It took 3 unlikely events to occur simultaneously.

You are like the guy who goes all in preflop with qq and thinks he made a good play when he outdraws aa.

Contract was moved easily? That is just dumb. It took 3 unlikely events to occur simultaneously.

You are like the guy who goes all in preflop with qq and thinks he made a good play when he outdraws aa.
    its not a bad play to go all in preflop with QQ tbf, JJ sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    its not a bad play to go all in preflop with QQ tbf, JJ sure.

It is when the other guy is telling you he has aa and you don't buy it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Lol.

ESPN’s Front Office Insider Bobby Marks

‘That alone is prohibitive from a team-building standpoint for the Phoenix Suns, but Beal also has a no-trade clause alongside the three years left on his deal. And that should have given the Suns pause before they traded for him last summer, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks.
    "[Beal's no-trade clause] should have been a dealbreaker if you're Phoenix," he said Monday (2:00 mark). "That should have been a walkaway. Now you are married, again, to that no-trade clause and probably the most toxic contract in NBA history.’

Or maybe DMavs41 knows better
    lol

It is when the other guy is telling you he has aa and you don't buy it.
    that's fair

Bobby Marks is the NBA Front Office Insider for ESPN, previously performing this position for Yahoo! Sports' The Vertical. He had previously spent 20 years working in the NBA, the last five as assistant general manager of the Brooklyn Nets.
    Bobby Marks was working in the NBA front office for years, actually making these decisions, and called Beals probably the worst in NBA history. That is saying something for a guy involved in the NBA so long.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Bobby Marks was working in the NBA front office for years, actually making these decisions, and called Beals contract the worst in NBA history. That is saying something for a guy involved in the NBA so long.
    Yup. 100%

Complete revisionist history. Multiple teams were interested and he was traded within a few weeks of becoming available. Nothing about it was unlikely, which was my point and Blaze's point the entire time.

Terrible poker analogy. Nothing is that simple. It depends on what the chip stacks are and the risk / reward specifics of the decision. The problem with people like you is that you can't understand nuance or the specifics of a situation. Plenty of situations where going all in pre with QQ makes sense...and plenty of situations where it doesn't.

Beal was never going to be hard to move, even with the no-trade clause, unless he suffered a serious injury...and even then he likely could have been moved.

But yea...keep telling me how unlikely it was when reality begs to differ. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41 View Post
    Complete revisionist history. Multiple teams were interested and he was traded within a few weeks of becoming available. Nothing about it was unlikely, which was my point and Blaze's point the entire time.

Terrible poker analogy. Nothing is that simple. It depends on what the chip stacks are and the risk / reward specifics of the decision. The problem with people like you is that you can't understand nuance or the specifics of a situation. Plenty of situations where going all in pre with QQ makes sense...and plenty of situations where it doesn't.

Beal was never going to be hard to move, even with the no-trade clause, unless he suffered a serious injury...and even then he likely could have been moved.

But yea...keep telling me how unlikely it was when reality begs to differ. Funny how that works.

Who exactly were these "other teams" that were interested in Beal that Beal was willing to go to? Please enlighten us.

I am sure it would be news to Bobby Marks, and the Suns.
    "[Beal's no-trade clause] should have been a dealbreaker if you're Phoenix," he said Monday (2:00 mark). "That should have been a walkaway. Now you are married, again, to that no-trade clause and probably the most toxic contract in NBA history.’

Who exactly were these "other teams" that were interested in Beal that Beal was willing to go to? Please enlighten us.

i remember it being mainly miami but they balked at price and went after lillard. They didnt think herro was 30mil worse than beal and they were completely right. There were a few rumors with sacramento but that dont think that was serious and deal was going be huerter/barnes and filler. Finally, think beal said mil had interest if they didnt get lillard. Guess it wouldve involved middleton, mil needs assets to trade jrue for beal like 3 1sts. Jrue got 2 1sts with brogdon and timelord both guys had slightly positive value

so, raise the salary cap to 650 mil a year and all the troubles are solved, right.

money can buy sorrow. promised.

Widely reported that both Miami and Milwaukee were interested and trying to make it work.

Beal himself said he got word that the Knicks, Nets, and Kings were trying to make moves to make it happen as well. Like I said at the time, I highly suspected that the Nets would have traded Simmons and some future assets for him Beal. That was probably the deal the Wizards should have gone for. Simmons is a much worse asset than Beal and I bet the Wizards could have gotten more of the type of package you would have wanted. What the Wizards ultimately went for doesn't mean that it was the only option.

Again, he got moved within days / weeks of coming available and the Wizards got positive value for the contract.

To argue otherwise is to simply argue against reality.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-05-2024 at 11:39 AM.