Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Anthony Edwards as the best shooting guard in the nba

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    Ant gets the nod over Kyrie and SGA because he’s the best defender out of the bunch. He’s meeting cats at the rim and altering shots.
    Takin him over SGA right now? Cmon man.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Nah that's a big cap.

Ants a great player but he hasn't even done or won anything in the playoffs on the level Kyrie has.
    So..?

SGA hasn’t won the level Curry has. Neither has Luka.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    So..?

SGA hasn’t won the level Curry has. Neither has Luka.

Curry, Luka, and SGA are all listed at PG, not SG. Kyrie is listed at SG and Luka is the clear cut point guard on Dallas.

The thing is Ant has a fiery competitiveness both ends that Kyrie doesn’t have. At least not to that level. He’s a dawg and even when his shot is off he finds ways to contribute heavily to the game, which is not something you really see from Kyrie.

I guess we’re calling Shai a PG in this scenario which is fair. But after him I’m taking Ant.
    Fiery personality =/= competitiveness. But I'm not disputing that Ant is competitive. Conversely, I've even heard a dumb take that Ant isn't that competitive because he's "smiling all the damn time".

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Curry, Luka, and SGA are all listed at PG, not SG. Kyrie is listed at SG and Luka is the clear cut point guard on Dallas.
    I’m not sure what this has to do with what I said. I was comparing the 3 PGs.

Unless you’re suggesting winning in the playoffs only applies to SGs.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Fiery personality =/= competitiveness. But I'm not disputing that Ant is competitive. Conversely, I've even heard a dumb take that Ant isn't that competitive because he's "smiling all the damn time".
    Well yea that’s why I said fiery competitiveness implying he’s both.

The thing is Ant has a fiery competitiveness both ends that Kyrie doesn’t have. At least not to that level. He’s a dawg and even when his shot is off he finds ways to contribute heavily to the game, which is not something you really see from Kyrie.

I guess we’re calling Shai a PG in this scenario which is fair. But after him I’m taking Ant.
    Kyrie is competitive lol he makes some of the most insanely tough shots and he does try on defense. Mavs wouldn't have been #1 on defense over the last 20+ games of the season if he was a bad defender. If you look at the On/Off splits for the season he was a positive on defense and a huge net-positive overall (+7.9), and had monster games to keep the Mavs afloat when Luka was out.

He was a better player than Edwards during the RS. We know he's more skilled overall it's not even a debate. Wolves have a great defense, they were even better by a decent margin on D (from 110 to 108.4 DRTG) when Edwards was on the bench this RS.

I'd go with Ant moving forward since he's trending up and is just getting started, he definitely has the juice.
    Last edited by ImKobe; 04-27-2024 at 02:52 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Kyrie is competitive lol he makes some of the most insanely tough shots and he does try on defense. Mavs wouldn't have been #1 on defense over the last 20+ games of the season if he was a bad defender. If you look at the On/Off splits for the season he was a positive on defense and a huge net-positive overall (+7.9), and had monster games to keep the Mavs afloat when Luka was out.

He was a better player than Edwards during the RS. We know he's more skilled overall it's not even a debate. Wolves have a great defense, they were even better by a decent margin on D (from 110 to 108.4 DRTG) when Edwards was on the bench this RS.

I'd go with Ant moving forward since he's trending up and is just getting started, he definitely has the juice.
    You’re taking a few leaps that I didn’t lead on to. I didn’t say Kyrie was a bad defender nor did I say he wasn’t competitive. However, Ant seems to have a level in him that Kyrie (and very very few people in general) have.

At 23 he’s the bonafide leader of a very good team. He has more oomph to his personality and his game translates in a lot of different areas that can impact across just shot-making.

He’s proving right now that these types of moments aren’t too big for him either. Eating Booker and KD both alive. Maybe he’ll win a ring, maybe he won’t. But I’m not really worried about him in big games so the lack of experience/winning doesn’t do much for me.

Very good NBA starter

Ant is the bastard son of MJ after all.

Ant is a legit leader who actually shows up to play. Kyrie is a talented flake who has been a part time player for years. He might show up and play hard, which he has done lately, or he might ghost the team to go on a walkabout to find the edge of the earth.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Ant is a legit leader who actually shows up to play. Kyrie is a talented flake who has been a part time player for years. He might show up and play hard, which he has done lately, or he might ghost the team to go on a walkabout to find the edge of the earth.
    Yesterday one of the announcers mentioned how some people call Kyrie the most skilled player of all time.

I remember ISH not agreeing with me when I said Kyrie was the most skilled player I've seen since MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Yesterday one of the announcers mentioned how some people call Kyrie the most skilled player of all time.

I remember ISH not agreeing with me when I said Kyrie was the most skilled player I've seen since MJ.
    Skilled is too broad. Kyries ball handling and finishing abilities are certainly all time elite.

Very good NBA starter

Skilled is too broad. Kyries ball handling and finishing abilities are certainly all time elite.
    It's not only finishing though, Kyrie can kill you from 3, from midrange and at rim, he can catch and shoot, drive to hoop, drive and pop, has crazy hang time and timing.

I only think maybe peak Kobe has had that broad of a set of moves in the more recent era.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    It's not only finishing though, Kyrie can kill you from 3, from midrange and at rim, he can catch and shoot, drive to hoop, drive and pop, has crazy hang time and timing.

I only think maybe peak Kobe has had that broad of a set of moves in the more recent era.

Kyrie is a good shooter no doubt, I just think the only skills he has that can be called among the best ever are his ball handling and finishing.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

So is his shooting. He's literally a 50/40/90 sniper club member with ~ 6 dimes a game at SG position. Your media takes don't line up with reality.