Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Default Re: Most influential player of the 21st century

Stephen Wardell Curry

Either Curry or Kobe. It's close still but long-term Steph wins this argument by a long shot with how popular the 3s have become. Kobe's influence on players like Luka, Kawhi, Tatum etc is well-known though, but the next crop of stars about a decade from now will all have grown up on Steph and will be emulating his game.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    I stopped reading there.

It's obvious to me it's emotion-driven for you. So, we stop there.
    I'm calmly stating facts.

Curry is a product of marketing hype. Nothing more. It's the biggest sham in sports history.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Either Curry or Kobe. It's close still but long-term Steph wins this argument by a long shot with how popular the 3s have become. Kobe's influence on players like Luka, Kawhi, Tatum etc is well-known though, but the next crop of stars about a decade from now will all have grown up on Steph and will be emulating his game.
    The reason I didn’t go with Kobe for #3 is because he represents the antithesis of the modern nba: load management, buddy-buddy with your rivals, forming superteams. Lebron is a lot more… pragmatic in that regard. His move to the Heat opened the door to Durant to GS.

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    The reason I didn’t go with Kobe for #3 is because he represents the antithesis of the modern nba: load management, buddy-buddy with your rivals, forming superteams. Lebron is a lot more… pragmatic in that regard. His move to the Heat opened the door to Durant to GS.
    Kobe formed multiple superteams lol

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    1 - Nash
    I like the Nash idea as a precursor to Curry. Also, I think Jokic is having a similar effect with big men and hopefully with team play as well. Even Embiid and Giannis started passing more in the last 2 years and here come the Alperen Senguns. Traditional center play with playmaking ability and decent touch from 3 is a nice change.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would say Kobe. For a good chunk of his career he wasn't even very well liked outside of Lakers fan base and his crazy stans. He was just some guy who was pretty good but everyone knew he wanted to be Michael Jordan and never could be. Being a chucker is not a good thing. Nothing changed because he matured in his later years before his death, even if people want to get in their feelings and start rewriting history...

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    I honestly don't understand why anyone would say Kobe. For a good chunk of his career he wasn't even very well liked outside of Lakers fan base and his crazy stans. He was just some guy who was pretty good but everyone knew he wanted to be Michael Jordan and never could be. Being a chucker is not a good thing. Nothing changed because he matured in his later years before his death, even if people want to get in their feelings and start rewriting history...
    Most of the rest of the world saw it differently. But it sure is subjective. However, it's hard arguing with popular opinion. I can tell you why Kobe had an effect on me (actually the most effect out of all players in my 40+ years of watching) despite the fact that I don't think he is close to being top 5 all time. But I'll save you the trauma and the rest of the board the needless arguing about it. It is subjective as far as who is touching you through a screen is concerned. Kobe touched many people. Among them some great players and coaches. Not you.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    I can tell you why Kobe had an effect on me (actually the most effect out of all players in my 40+ years of watching) despite the fact that I don't think he is close to being top 5 all time. But I'll save you the trauma
    I'm all ears...

You don't understand what influence means. No one's gonna go out on the court and emulate Lebron because it's impossible to, unless you have god-like genetics with generational passing skill. Kobe's bag is why he's been so influential for the current crop of NBA stars like Tatum, Luka, Kyrie, Kawhi etc.

Kobe went to 7 Finals and won 5 rings. That's as close as anyone's gotten to MJ since his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    You don't understand what influence means. No one's gonna go out on the court and emulate Lebron because it's impossible to, unless you have god-like genetics with generational passing skill. Kobe's bag is why he's been so influential for the current crop of NBA stars like Tatum, Luka, Kyrie, Kawhi etc.

Kobe went to 7 Finals and won 5 rings. That's as close as anyone's gotten to MJ since his retirement.
    Luka's favorite player is LeBron and Kawhi plays nothing like Kobe (he has none of the guard skills in terms of playmaking).

Duncan also won 5 rings, and he was actually the best player for all of them, so I'd say he's the closest to MJ if we're using that as the metric.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Luka's favorite player is LeBron and Kawhi plays nothing like Kobe (he has none of the guard skills in terms of playmaking).

Duncan also won 5 rings, and he was actually the best player for all of them, so I'd say he's the closest to MJ if we're using that as the metric.
    Touching people has close to nothing to do with results. It's about a relatable story.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post

Lol Duncan the best player on all 5 of them? What a joke.

I'm all ears...
    Kobe was a few (5) years younger than me. My quasi-professional playing days had just been over and I had some spare time so started to follow the NBA regular season more closely at around 1998 or so. I saw many playoff games the years prior having started in the very early 80s. As the Showtime Lakers were the thing back then I became a Lakers supporter. A fan from afar.

So there was this young kid I really disliked at first. I think it was the 4 airballs against the Jazz that made me follow Kobe's path. I wanted the Lakers to trade him and bring someone better for Shaq. That's the way it started.

Throughout the years I watched a very interesting story about a human being. As if I saw a younger cousin grow up. A kid that had many flaws both on and ff the court. And it was mesmerizing seeing him work on everything the way he did. It was great to see character development. Success and failure. Growth. Drama. The whole package.

It wasn't basketball. Sure, there were some games involved. But it was the story. Like the one in "Dear basketball'. And not a Cindarella stroy but a more realistic one. Life itself with its ups and downs. The speech he gave at Buss' funeral. Interviews. Scandals. And basketball.

So he became my favorite player but not because of his game. That helped. He become my favorite because he was a human being I could relate to. I had my life, my mistakes, may better moments and so on. So it became somewhat personal. He didn't know that but he became a part of my life. Remained that way after his career had come to an end.

When he died a part of me died. It's true. I was 45+ when that happened. I was in shock for days. I cried and I didn't understand why. Then I realized I cried about my youth. It sure has ended sooner but somehow Kobe's death made my 'young years' officially over. I realized they died and are in a sense died with Kobe. (And my parents were dead at the time, I had children in high school and college so it wasn't lack of life experience.) For some reason it just had a huge effect on me. Still does. Because he was perfect or a better human being than most? No. To the contrary. Because he was imperfect as a player and a person but kept trying and actually got better as the years went by.

He was a very good player. But that was not the most interesting part. I've seen better.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    Kobe was a few (5) years younger than me. My quasi-professional playing days had just been over and I had some spare time so started to follow the NBA regular season more closely at around 1998 or so. I saw many playoff games the years prior having started in the very early 80s. As the Showtime Lakers were the thing back then I became a Lakers supporter. A fan from afar.

So there was this young kid I really disliked at first. I think it was the 4 airballs against the Jazz that made me follow Kobe's path. I wanted the Lakers to trade him and bring someone better for Shaq. That's the way it started.

Throughout the years I watched a very interesting story about a human being. As if I saw a younger cousin grow up. A kid that had many flaws both on and ff the court. And it was mesmerizing seeing him work on everything the way he did. It was great to see character development. Success and failure. Growth. Drama. The whole package.

It wasn't basketball. Sure, there were some games involved. But it was the story. Like the one in "Dear basketball'. And not a Cindarella stroy but a more realistic one. Life itself with its ups and downs. The speech he gave at Buss' funeral. Interviews. Scandals. And basketball.

So he became my favorite player but not because of his game. That helped. He become my favorite because he was a human being I could relate to. I had my life, my mistakes, may better moments and so on. So it became somewhat personal. He didn't know that but he became a part of my life. Remained that way after his career had come to an end.

When he died a part of me died. It's true. I was 45+ when that happened. I was in shock for days. I cried and I didn't understand why. Then I realized I cried about my youth. It sure has ended sooner but somehow Kobe's death made my 'young years' officially over. I realized they died and are in a sense died with Kobe. (And my parents were dead at the time, I had children in high school and college so it wasn't lack of life experience.) For some reason it just had a huge effect on me. Still does. Because he was perfect or a better human being than most? No. To the contrary. Because he was imperfect as a player and a person but kept trying and actually got better as the years went by.

He was a very good player. But that was not the most interesting part. I've seen better.
    My story would be similar.

Started watching NBA in 2000. I became a Lakers fan overnight watching Shaq/Kobe

I eventually got tired of Kobe's attitude and wanted Shaq to stay. I wasn't happy when Shaq was traded

I saw Kobe go through the same transformation from #8 to #24. Immature, out-of-control, selfish, spoiled child grew into respected, humble, and honorable person. Absolutely why I became an even bigger Kobe fan than I was. Before, I was more of a Lakers fan (and Kobe by extension) then became a Kobe fan post-Shaq.

I'm much younger than you so it actually resonated more with me being 10 years younger than Kobe. You are a bit older than Kobe.

The day after the crash, I watched Kobe's 81pt game and his last 60pt game. You can clearly see that transformation in Kobe between the two instances separated by ~10 years, one wearing #8 and other wearing #24. I have always preferred #24, although I really wish he could have won another chip with Dwight/Pau or beat Celtics in the first run.