Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 17576465666768 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1009
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: (2) Nuggets vs. (7) Lakers First Round Playoff Series Thread

I was curious so I decided to check out ESPN's play-by-play for game 5, and sure enough:

"Lakers retain their timeout" sounds pretty clear to me
    With so many people confused over that rule it's a wonder if the refs and coaching staff knew about it during the game

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting. I guess it can be possible. Those statistics are just pretty eye popping.
    It sounds like it’s an explanation but it’s not. The differential is a derivative stat. FTAs - FTAs given up. It says nothing to say that the Lakers take more free throws than other teams while giving up fewer. That’s just what the stat means. The question then, is why? It might be because of LeBrons explanation: they fouled and we didn’t. It might be for some other reasons — points in the paint, three pointers attempted, play style. Or other reasons, like star players getting favorable whistles, or fan favorites getting favorable calls and no calls.

But what is offered here as an explanation is the same as saying that someone leads the league in Stocks because they are near the top in steals and near the top in blocks. That says nothing, except for what the definition of stocks are.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

The question then, is why? It might be because of LeBrons explanation: they fouled and we didn’t.

I get what you're saying but thats crazy subjective and superficial. Ref could call a touch foul one way and not blink when something more egregious happens the other way. And it's all top down for the bizness $$$.

It's beautiful to me when the Truth overcomes the Lie.

Like most conspiracy theory believers, they are making assumptions that are a huge reach. First of all they are making the assumption that this is a coordinated effort among all refs.

Secondly they are assuming that the refs are actually competent enough to carry out this plan and keep it quiet.

Given the lack of competence we see from refs in a regular basis it is pretty obvious they aren't even capable of pulling this off even if they tried.

Quote Originally Posted by White Hammer View Post
    I was curious so I decided to check out ESPN's play-by-play for game 5, and sure enough:

"Lakers retain their timeout" sounds pretty clear to me
    With so many people confused over that rule it's a wonder if the refs and coaching staff knew about it during the game

wtf

You know someone is a dumbass when they are talking about free throw numbers and not the play on the court. Jokic got away with a ton of shit. Whole series seen strange refereeing for both sides.

MJ stans WANT the NBA to be soft. They are the worst thing to ever happen to basketball. Hardly surprising TheInbred actually believe ttrolls is being serious though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post
    There were a bunch. The LeBron travel where he took two steps, a jump, and then another two steps, only to have a bail out foul called on MPJ on marginal contact.

Another LeBron spin move on the left block, where he cleared out, did not get hit and got the call.

A Reaves fall away in the lane where he contorted his body back, with absolutely no contact.

The DLo play where he elbowed Murray in the face, with no call.

The Gordon missed dunk where he was shoved in the back while in the air (especially bad on these two where the foul is dangerous)

A Murray shot which was ruled not a continuation.

AD draped over the back of Joker is deemed “marginal” on replay???

In fairness, there were terrible calls and no calls the other way too. A LeBron drive where he was clearly fouled and got no call was especially bad. The refereeing looked almost random to me. No way for the players to adjust their game to the refs.

I don’t think anyone could show that the game was called consistently. It clearly was not. I remember more vividly the calls that went against Denver because I’m not objective. In other games with the Lakers, where I have no real interest, it seems obvious that the Lakers frequently get a highly favorable whistle.
    You are a biased moron. Absolutely clueless.

For the record Denver actually took more total fts in games 1-4.

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    You are a biased moron. Absolutely clueless.
    Instead of simply insulting (your standard modus operandi), why don’t you address something someone says sometime?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post
    Instead of simply insulting (your standard modus operandi), why don’t you address something someone says sometime?
    "HurR dUrR JaMaL mUrRy aNd 1 No CaLl" The exact the same thing happened to Reaves the game prior. And that's just picking ONE of your pathetically biased points. Quite frankly, you are beneath me.

"HurR dUrR JaMaL mUrRy aNd 1 No CaLl" The exact the same thing happened to Reaves the game prior. And that's just picking ONE of your pathetically biased points. Quite frankly, you are beneath me.
    First off, show me one thing that says that I think last night’s game was rigged. Quite the opposite, I’ve said the bad calls, and the level of officiating seems random. This makes it easy to point out inconsistent calls that went against Denver (and also against LA). Were they even? I don’t think so, but I also admit (it’s in the post above) that I am not objective. So yeah, I remember bad calls against Denver more clearly.

I also know there are bad calls against LA. There was a clear foul on a LeBron drive not called. Porter got a ticky tack call on a three that was not called on a bunch of other shots (both ways). There was a reviewed foul on DLo that after review was deemed marginal. I’ve already talked about all of these.

The point of my post you find so objectionable is that there were lots of calls that Denver fans could point to that could have, and probably should have gone the other way. With the free throw discrepancy, the general financial interest in extending the series, the rubber band tendency to keep games closer and the prior commissioner’s stated preference for having LA in the finals, I think that’s enough to raise suspicion. But I don’t think these games were fixed in any way, and I never said so.

Instead, I’ve said pretty consistently that the way they are being called makes it impossible for anyone to understand what’s allowable contact and what isn’t. Sorry this bothers you so much. But if you insist on calling me a clueless dumbass, why don’t you take a little effort to try to understand what I’m actually saying?

What are we supposed to do? Feel sorry for Denver?

It wasn't rigged. Period. Stop providing talking points for conspiracy theorists and the scum that pollute basketball conversation. Saying it wasn't rigged and then laying out a number of reasons you have "suspicions". Making a list of things that went "against" Denver (some absolute nonsense) and disregarding everything else. Literally claims to be biased. What are we doing here?

What are we supposed to do? Feel sorry for Denver?

It wasn't rigged. Period. Stop providing talking points for conspiracy theorists and the scum that pollute basketball conversation. Saying it wasn't rigged and then laying out a number of reasons you have "suspicions". Making a list of things that went "against" Denver (some absolute nonsense) and disregarding everything else. Literally claims to be biased. What are we doing here?
    We are not supposed to do . What we are doing here is talking about basketball. That’s it, despite your penchant for telling everyone you don’t like (which is just about everyone) to shut up.

I made a list because someone asked for a list and said it wouldn’t be coming. You insist that the stuff on the list is absolute nonsense without pointing to a single example where I was wrong. All you’ve said is that a call went against Reaves in an earlier game. None of that has anything to do with my main point, which is that no one can tell what will count as a foul, a no-call or “marginal” contact since it seems to vary so wildly from minute to minute and play by play.

Also, which if the following do you think is false:

The league has a financial interest in extending series.

The Lakers have a large free throw discrepancy in their favor.

There is a rubber band effect in games which often tends to keep them close.

David Stern, when asked about his dream finals, said it would be the Lakers vs. the Lakers.

Vando will be available for game 6.

Oh wait.