Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Default If Wemby went on to win 5 str8 rings then retired would you call him the greatest?

So let’s say Wemby didn’t make playoffs year one then won 5 str8 rings then retired. He averaged 40 ppg, 20 Rebs, 5 blks, and 5 steals per game in those 5 years. Would he be the greatest? No right? Because at some point longevity matters….This is why Lebron is the greatest….at some point it has to matter to dominate for this long when everyone else fell off in their later years.

He is in year 21 still…..knocking….teams…..out of the playoffs….. let that sink in

Default Re: If Wemby went on to win 5 str8 rings then retired would you call him the greatest

He is DEFINITIVELY better than Anthony Davis, RIGHT NOW.

I know that doesnt answer your question but thats the statement Id like to make.

Default Re: If Wemby went on to win 5 str8 rings then retired would you call him the greatest

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    He is DEFINITIVELY better than Anthony Davis, RIGHT NOW.

I know that doesnt answer your question but thats the statement Id like to make.
    He's better than Lebron too.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Better than 37 year old Kobe, but that isn't saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post

Man, BRAKE YO MUTHA****IN SELF

No.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Yes

I would. That accomplishment is so high that a mere 20 years longevity is not enough to beat it. Heck even if it's only 1 season but if a guy average 150ppg I'd call him the greatest.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

He'd be number 2 behind LeBron

5 straight with those averages? I'd say he had a good argument.

Why did he retire? Did he get in a car accident or something that ended his career in this scenario?

Does he also have 5 straight MVPs and Finals MVPs?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I was gonna come in and say “Not if he weren’t playing better than anyone I’d ever seen” but with the numbers you posted he likely would be.

Nobody really had issue saying the player they were seeing was the best ever for a long time. You can find many examples of people thinking rookie Wilt was the best ever. And Kareem. Prime Oscar. Bird had people saying it his second year. Bird said Jordan was the best in his 44th game in the league(though he made similar claims of others). If someone is the best…they’re the best. Making it entirely about complete resume is a fairly recent change. Lots of players in lots of sports are considered immediately the best if they justify it. You can go back 100 years. Guys like Ruth and Ty Cobb didn’t have to get old to get ranked as the best.

The way it’s done now is built off sports media arguments.

5 straight? In this day and age? Does he win 5 FMVPs? If so, people would absolutely consider him top 3.

Doesn't it depend more on how great he was in those wins?

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    5 straight with those averages? I'd say he had a good argument.

Why did he retire? Did he get in a car accident or something that ended his career in this scenario?
    Yes he won 5 str8 mvps + 5 FMVPs. He didn’t get in an accident. He just retired because he claims “the league is too easy”. He never returns to the game.

I wouldn’t call him the goat imo. He just left while on top. He had. Short run of dominance.