Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star Shaquille O'Neal's Avatar

Default So what do the Lakers do with regards to the play-in / playoff picture?

So for the play-in they have the Pelicans @ New Orleans. Winner gets the #7 seed, and the opportunity to face Denver in Round 1 @ DEN.

If LAL loses that game, they'd have to play the winner of Kings/GS; the Kings I believe are 4-0 vs LAL and GS 3-1. If they'd win game #2 and get the 8th spot, they'd face the OKC Thunder.

My prediction: Anthony Davis does not play the first game, LAL loses "on purpose" to duck the Nuggets, then the Lakers face the GSW @ home (Davis returns) and get typical favorable call treatment to shore up the #8 playoff spot.
    Lakers win round one 4-2 and advance to the Western conference semi-finals vs. the Clippers.

That's what I think is going to happen.

Default Re: So what do the Lakers do with regards to the play-in / playoff picture?

I don’t know but you’ll certainly sob about it regardless.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: So what do the Lakers do with regards to the play-in / playoff picture?

You can't risk losing the second play in game and missing the playoffs entirely. They have to beat the Pelicans if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaquille O'Neal View Post
    So for the play-in they have the Pelicans @ New Orleans. Winner gets the #7 seed, and the opportunity to face Denver in Round 1 @ DEN.

If LAL loses that game, they'd have to play the winner of Kings/GS; the Kings I believe are 4-0 vs LAL and GS 3-1. If they'd win game #2 and get the 8th spot, they'd face the OKC Thunder.

My prediction: Anthony Davis does not play the first game, LAL loses "on purpose" to duck the Nuggets, then the Lakers face the GSW @ home (Davis returns) and get typical favorable call treatment to shore up the #8 playoff spot.
    Lakers win round one 4-2 and advance to the Western conference semi-finals vs. the Clippers.

That's what I think is going to happen.
    Absolutely terrible idea.

As you stated they have a losing record vs both lower play in teams. Leaving it up to one game when you have a chance to secure a berth earlier is AWFUL strategy.

Moreover, they likely have to go thru Denver at some point regardless. Id argue it’s better to play them now while the Lakers have max health (assuming AD’s injury is not serious) after a rest on wed/thur/fri/sat, rather than after playing two other grueling series first and possibly a short turnaround between series.

Anyone in Lakers leadership who even floats the idea of doing what you suggest should be fired.

Playing Denver when both are fresh is better than playing them deep into the POs. They have a better chance beating them in the 1st round IMO.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I never understood the logic of someone like OP's. Why try to duck a team when you are likely to meet them later on in the playoffs regardless? I know upsets happen, but Nuggets are not losing in the 1st round if the Lakers avoid them.

And you are really gonna lose a play in game on purpose when your playoff chances are at stake? That shit is moronic

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I never understood the logic of someone like OP's. Why try to duck a team when you are likely to meet them later on in the playoffs regardless? I know upsets happen, but Nuggets are not losing in the 1st round if the Lakers avoid them.

And you are really gonna lose a play in game on purpose when your playoff chances are at stake? That shit is moronic
    The logic of OP? When did I suggest that should be their strategy? Lebron historically looks for excuses when he loses. No AD vs the Pels Tuesday = built-in excuse. Just like the "hand" in 2018, Delonte in 2010, "I might retire" from last year, etc.
    Of course that would never be "the plan". But if Davis needs rest until Thursday while his VA-Ginah heals, and the Lakers KNOW they'll get favorable calls at home in the 2nd game (and get to avoid Denver) I'm telling you it's not an impossible stretch.

You're not talking to a 19 year old kid on here. The league is predictable - remember in 2013 the last 2-3 weeks all the calls the Lakers got to squeeze them into the playoffs? I sure as hell do. I sure as hell remember David Stern when asked about who he'd like to see in the playoffs..."Lakers vs. the Lakers".

No, if things are legitimate no one would ever suggest playing with fire. That's not reality; their freethrow discrepancy vs. the rest of the league the last 2 years, the propping up Lebron in the media / Klutch sports, the play-in tournament schedule rigging, etc. all points to this - don't be surprised if that's what happens. There's also plenty of debate of Lebron vs. Steph as they both have 4 chips - another opportunity for Lebron to knock Steph out of the playoffs adds more fuel to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Playing Denver when both are fresh is better than playing them deep into the POs. They have a better chance beating them in the 1st round IMO.
    If I'm coaching the Lakers of course, you always go for it when you have the opportunity.

NBA lottery pick

This. Although them playing OKC is much better for them

Good High School Starter

Is eliteballer specifically reserved for steroids meltdowns now? And when you want to be at least somewhat serious you switch to Shaq?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

The logic of OP?
    Yes. You are a shit poster.

Nobody is losing a play in game on purpose, it's too dangerous.

Go away.

Yes. You are a shit poster.

Nobody is losing a play in game on purpose, it's too dangerous.

Go away.
    I think you have reading comprehension problems. Me saying what I think will happen does NOT = what I think they SHOULD do. Sorry I had to break it down to that simplistic level for you.
    Last edited by Shaquille O'Neal; 04-14-2024 at 09:31 PM.

I think you have reading comprehension skills.
    Yes he does, unlike you.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhileonard2 View Post
    This. Although them playing OKC is much better for them
    Of course. OKC might even get swept by the Lakers.

If you use critical thinking and look at the big picture:

Lebron was the primary reason they got swept in 2023. He played piss poor down the stretch, and every game was "winnable". For that to happen again (4-0, 4-1 or even 4-2) would look very bad.

If the Lakers lose vs NOP and beat GS/SAC and then have a 5-6 game series, you get at a minimum 10-12 more Lakers games to bring in viewership to a TANKING league ratings-wise.

The Lakers will not beat Denver in the first round, so there's that.

Now for the mentally challenged among us (1987_Lakers) I'm not saying that's what I'd DO, I'm just saying it will likely happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Yes he does, unlike you.
    Much appreciated sir. Is he/she always this dense on here? I normally have he/her on ignore as it's mostly pro-Lebron EPSN simplistic spoon fed garbage being posted.