Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA All-star

Default Re: Zach Edey (Godzilla) vs. Donovan Clingan (King Kong) [PURDUE v UCONN game thread]

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    What is he doing here?

toking and not getting toked

Default Re: Zach Edey (Godzilla) vs. Donovan Clingan (King Kong) [PURDUE v UCONN game thread]

Hell, a bigger Enes Kanter that can actually play effective drop coverage is undeniably an NBA guy. The main reason he's not on a team right now is because of his political shenanigans. He was putting up a double-double in like 24 minutes three seasons ago. 14 and 11 in 25.8 minutes per game in New York. His on/off was actually positive for the last few seasons.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    And how he plays must be analyzed with context. What competition is he playing in? What are its rules? What team is he playing for? What is its scheme? What does the personnel look like? What is his role on this team? All of these influence how Zach plays.
    exactly why I said Zach Edey lacks the brain and the heart go out and get his own. to be a critical thinker, to be something his stans know as an irrefutable scientific fact in which they never will be: impactful.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Kanter isn’t in the NBA because he is terrible and those numbers mean absolutely nothing when they get you murdered. Boban, even old as he is might literally average 24/13 if you told him to do it. It doesn’t matter when you score 102 and the other team scores 136. those players are only useful when they play defense now. You are not going to win taking jump hooks playing 1999 pace waiting for a big bum to get down the floor while everyone else is running like the Showtime Lakers and taking 50 threes.

Of course if you play him 30 minutes he gets 16 rebounds and probably scores 20. And if you pick and choose when to give him a short burst of minutes it can look positive. But as Charles Barkley once pointed out the bench guys who have great per 36 numbers don’t actually get played 36 minutes because they aren’t good. If they could maintain it and not wreck the team on both ends a coach would be happy to let them.

Your politics matter when you suck. Not when you’re good.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

There's a difference between being slow and playing slow. When you say someone is slow, you're implying they are athletically limited and not able to display a level or quality of movement. They simply don't have the physical capacity to move that way, regardless of effort or exercise and training. They just don't have the genetics.

Playing slow is different. It also includes processing speed, decision-making, and technique. In other words, basketball IQ and fundamentals.

Zach isn't slow - not to the degree you're implying. He plays slow at times. And how he plays must be analyzed with context. What competition is he playing in? What are its rules? What team is he playing for? What is its scheme? What does the personnel look like? What is his role on this team? All of these influence how Zach plays. He's not playing the way he does with Purdue to showcase his NBA potential. He plays to help his team win.

We know per the 2023 NBA Combine results Zach has comparable speed and agility to Steven Adams, Rudy Gobert, Brook Lopez, DeMarcus Cousins, and Hassan Whiteside to name a few. That's a fact. Unless you believe none of these guys tried and Zach did, which is ridiculous.

go look at Andre Iguodala, Monta Ellis and Russell Westbrook’s combine numbers. Then go look at JJ Reddick. At Steph who apparently can jump with 20 year old Russ and out jumps Iggy(as did Chris Duhon). Enough said.

Explosive is explosive. On the floor is what counts. Dude moves like he’s in 1.5 gravity at times.

There are many levels of players, not just "good" and "suck." It's not binary. And a lot of the impact signals (box-derived plus minus, play-by-play data) and one-number metrics point to Enes being a positive player from 2016 onwards. But if he doesn't fit your personal aesthetic/bias for what winning basketball looks like, then those numbers will fall on deaf ears.

You can pass on a bench guy and not lose sleep over it. And I'm sure NBA teams aren't. Nobody is getting fired because they didn't sign Enes Kanter. Some players above replacement level aren't worth the hassle if they come with baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    go look at Andre Iguodala, Monta Ellis and Russell Westbrook’s combine numbers. Then go look at JJ Reddick. At Steph who apparently can jump with 20 year old Russ and out jumps Iggy(as did Chris Duhon). Enough said.

Explosive is explosive. On the floor is what counts. Dude moves like he’s in 1.5 gravity at times.
    And what's on the floor is influenced by all those factors I listed. And those things absolutely can be improved upon, and optimized. It's how Brook Lopez can go from one of the worst defenders at his position to one of the best. Those Nets teams were historically bad defensively.

Value and impact must be contextualized. Zach may defend differently when he's not being asked to play 80%+ of a game and be Shaquille O'Neal on offense. Or he may defend exactly the same. We'll see.

Facts Are Misleading

He's incapable of defending differently.

Edey scored more points than the rest of his team combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

Considering how much they rely on him I'm sure a lot of it is fatigue.

NBA All-star

There are many levels of players, not just "good" and "suck." It's not binary.
    how pissed off do you get, watching at old Kevin McHale footage, and watching him average 2.5 assists during his peak years instead of scoring more points. what choices does it make you want to committ in the non-binary world between "love" and "harm".

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer View Post
    Considering how much they rely on him I'm sure a lot of it is fatigue.
    was that before the brain died or after the brain died when this conversation against someone weighing 20lbs less than him took place.

really, I can't find the point of conception.

Edey IS slow!

He is nowhere near an NBA level athlete. Therefore he is not an NBA level player

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

There are many levels of players, not just "good" and "suck." It's not binary. And a lot of the impact signals (box-derived plus minus, play-by-play data) and one-number metrics point to Enes being a positive player from 2016 onwards. But if he doesn't fit your personal aesthetic/bias for what winning basketball looks like, then those numbers will fall on deaf ears.

You can pass on a bench guy and not lose sleep over it. And I'm sure NBA teams aren't. Nobody is getting fired because they didn't sign Enes Kanter. Some players above replacement level aren't worth the hassle if they come with baggage.

And what's on the floor is influenced by all those factors I listed. And those things absolutely can be improved upon, and optimized. It's how Brook Lopez can go from one of the worst defenders at his position to one of the best. Those Nets teams were historically bad defensively.

Value and impact must be contextualized. Zach may defend differently when he's not being asked to play 80%+ of a game and be Shaquille O'Neal on offense. Or he may defend exactly the same. We'll see.
    While you make good points and I definitely see what you are alluding too. Even that being said I just don’t see it. I’m not trying to say i’m a basketball savant but my personal eye test has a hard time wrapping around how he will be a solid and positive impact guy on the floor. I might be wrong and if I am I will own it 100. As of right now i’m personally just not seeing it right now for what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duderonomy View Post
    I'm surprised Edey isn't a projected lottery pick. Remember the days when even an average big was taken in the top 3, here's looking at you Emeka Okafor.
    Bad defense, too slow, can’t shoot at all, and very one-dimensional. If Edey was around in the 80s or 90s he might’ve gone top 10 but his game for the modern NBA won’t adapt.

He’s probably just gonna end up being Boban 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyMeatballs View Post
    Bad defense, too slow, can’t shoot at all, and very one-dimensional. If Edey was around in the 80s or 90s he might’ve gone top 10 but his game for the modern NBA won’t adapt.

He’s probably just gonna end up being Boban 2.0

This. Theyd be calling him the next Greg Ostertag and it would be intended as praise.

Teams just dont use guys that way anymore. He could probably do most of the things Yao did (including look like him), but Yao played in the slowest pace era and now we’re in the fastest.

People gotta accept Lebron took this game to a higher level.