Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: The Sixers are the 8 seed right now

Yall got me.

Giannis lost once as 8 seed to the Heat. The bubble season was so mixed up and Miami did win as big underdog I thought they were an 8.

Either way that reinforces the point. 6/80 is the 1v8 seed win rate for the underdog.

That's a 92.5% rate of failure.

Big Trash!

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    In last years WCFs the Lakers had double digit leads in multiple games. It was much closer than it appeared. And Jamal Murray can't possibly go as nuts as he did in those stretches. He was Jordan level in the middle of that series. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers made it competitive again even as an 8 seed. Ditto if the Warriors or suns catch fire on offense for a short series spurt.
    Lakers perimeter defense has been worse than it was last year. Other than injury, what do the Lakers have that will stop Murray? On top of that, if he ups his play in the post-season for a third time this year, people will probably be best advised to stop saying that he can’t do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post
    Lakers perimeter defense has been worse than it was last year. Other than injury, what do the Lakers have that will stop Murray? On top of that, if he ups his play in the post-season for a third time this year, people will probably be best advised to stop saying that he can’t do it again.
    Him not going on hot streaks shooting like 90% from the floor on all long jumpers in the clutch.

If we watch the defense... it's not even remotely bad. Dude just couldn't miss. He was just insane in the middle of that series banging contested jumpers over and over.

Those aren't always going to string together like that. Even GOAT shooters can't keep that up.

Yall got me.

Giannis lost once as 8 seed to the Heat. The bubble season was so mixed up and Miami did win as big underdog I thought they were an 8.

Either way that reinforces the point. 6/80 is the 1v8 seed win rate for the underdog.

Big Trash!

Miami wasnt even the 8th seed last year.

They were 3 games ahead of the Hawks.

They were by far the 7th seed.

They were much closer to 6th than to 8th.

If you become the 8th seed through the play-in format, that needs a major asterisk.

Cause this:

doesnt look right.

Yes... they were an 8 seed. The Miami Heat were the 8 seed last year and they beat the 1 seed. It's already been established that the play in tournament has increased variance of low seeded teams.

Kblaze just posted a year where a 48 win team missed the playoffs and a 37 win team made the playoffs and that was back in 2008.

Life can be unfair.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

In last years WCFs the Lakers had double digit leads in multiple games. It was much closer than it appeared. And Jamal Murray can't possibly go as nuts as he did in those stretches. He was Jordan level in the middle of that series. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers made it competitive again even as an 8 seed. Ditto if the Warriors or suns catch fire on offense for a short series spurt.
    Yes, I agree. The Nuggets are the favorites against the Lakers or the Suns but it's not 90-10. I see it more like 65-35. Boston losing would be a bigger upset to me.

Yes... they were an 8 seed. The Miami Heat were the 8 seed last year and they beat the 1 seed. It's already been established that the play in tournament has increased variance of low seeded teams.

Kblaze just posted a year where a 48 win team missed the playoffs and a 37 win team made the playoffs and that was back in 2008.

Life can be unfair.

They were the 8th seed yet in every other year through history since 2 years before that, they would have been the 7th seed.

They were not a true 8th seed.

The Hawks won 3 less games than them and were clearly the weaker seed.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    They were the 8th seed yet in every other year through history since 2 years before that, they would have been the 7th seed.

They were not a true 8th seed.

The Hawks won 3 less games than them and were clearly the weaker seed.
    You're splitting hairs. They were 8th by the current rules. Period.

Someone else can come up with some contrived reason that some team advanced back in the day when Division winners were guaranteed a top 4 seed, and that's the "real reason" why X team won/lost, but that would be similarly useless.

Trying to re-rank Miami as 7th is bad logic. They lost with home court advantage to the Hawks. They were 8th.

Yall got me.

Big Trash!
    They're the only team to lose in the finals twice since five years ago.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

All anyone means when they say such and such seed is where they are in standings. They had the 7th best record. Back when division leaders automatically got the first few seeds the 44 win nuggets of young Melo were the three seed with the same record as the eight seed. They played the 47 win 6 seeded clippers in the first round and lost. The 60 win mavs were 4th seed because the spurs won that division with 63 wins. Third best record in the league. Fourth seed in their own conference. You can call them the 4 seed when you describe them to make their finals run out to be more unlikely but it doesn’t really describe the situation to anyone who doesn’t remember the weird rules.

if you say Carmelo led his team to the third seed of a stacked west in 06, you’re being intentionally misleading, even though it’s factual.

so yes. The heat were the eighth seed. The heat Did not have the eighth best record. It feels like those two things mean the same but they don’t anymore. There will be years when it won’t even be close.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    You're splitting hairs. They were 8th by the current rules. Period.

Someone else can come up with some contrived reason that some team advanced back in the day when Division winners were guaranteed a top 4 seed, and that's the "real reason" why X team won/lost, but that would be similarly useless.

Trying to re-rank Miami as 7th is bad logic. They lost with home court advantage to the Hawks. They were 8th.

Im not splitting hairs.

The point of the 1st vs 8th upset, what makes it so historic, is that the team with the 8th best record beats the one with the 1st.

The Heat had the 7th best record, by some distance.

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Horford is getting older and older and slower with every season that goes by..he gets easier and easier to score on for Joel.good luck in round 1….youre going to need it Boston……

Quote Originally Posted by Mask the Embiid View Post
    Horford is getting older and older and slower with every season that goes by..he gets easier and easier to score on for Joel.good luck in round 1….youre going to need it Boston……

Embiid's presence is so invaluable to his team. Having that said, still no chance getting to the ecf.

I agree but this thread is all kinds of silly