Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: The Sixers are the 8 seed right now

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    All anyone means when they say such and such seed is where they are in standings. They had the 7th best record. Back when division leaders automatically got the first few seeds the 44 win nuggets of young Melo were the three seed with the same record as the eight seed. They played the 47 win 6 seeded clippers in the first round and lost. The 60 win mavs were 4th seed because the spurs won that division with 63 wins. Third best record in the league. Fourth seed in their own conference. You can call them the 4 seed when you describe them to make their finals run out to be more unlikely but it doesn’t really describe the situation to anyone who doesn’t remember the weird rules.

if you say Carmelo led his team to the third seed of a stacked west in 06, you’re being intentionally misleading, even though it’s factual.

so yes. The heat were the eighth seed. The heat Did not have the eighth best record. It feels like those two things mean the same but they don’t anymore. There will be years when it won’t even be close.
    The need to recollect the rules is exactly why none of it matters. Basketball is a game of match ups anyhow which is the exact reason for these upsets.

If the 2007 Mavs faced any other team, they are likely champs. The Bucks being heavily favored and losing is all that most will recall, not that Miami was technically 3 games ahead of the Hawks in the win column. It clearly bought no extra time for Bud. I'm sure he said to the GM "ThEy wErEn'T tHe 8tH!"

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    The need to recollect the rules is exactly why none of it matters. Basketball is a game of match ups anyhow which is the exact reason for these upsets.

If the 2007 Mavs faced any other team, they are likely champs. The Bucks being heavily favored and losing is all that most will recall, not that Miami was technically 3 games ahead of the Hawks in the win column. It clearly bought no extra time for Bud. I'm sure he said to the GM "ThEy wErEn'T tHe 8tH!"
    They dont give a **** about that to begin with. But Im sure if they were bothered with "so you lost to the EIGHT SEED" youd get someone to say, well, not really though..

But its funny you say Miami was "technically" 3 games ahead.

Not just technically.

Saying Miami was the 8th seed is disingenous at best.

The play-in makes them "technical" 8th seed, but they werent the true 8th seed.

Even you know that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    They dont give a **** about that to begin with. But Im sure if they were bothered with "so you lost to the EIGHT SEED" youd get someone to say, well, not really though..

But its funny you say Miami was "technically" 3 games ahead.

Not just technically.

Saying Miami was the 8th seed is disingenous at best.

The play-in makes them "technical" 8th seed, but they werent the true 8th seed.

Even you know that, right?
    They were the true 8th seed. What they didn't have was the 8th best record in their conference.

No matter what argument you're trying to make, all history will continue to log Miami as the 8th. A 7th seed cannot pay against the 1st seed in the playoffs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

I didn't even realize they lost to the very team Arby is claiming they were way better than on their own homecourt by double digits. The Hawks spanked them in Miami.

That makes Lil Arby's argument look even that much worse on top of the Bucks literally factually being the 1 seed and losing in the 1st round to the 8 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post

I didn't even realize they lost to the very team Arby is claiming they were way better than on their own homecourt by double digits. The Hawks spanked them in Miami.

That makes Lil Arby's argument look even that much worse on top of the Bucks literally factually being the 1 seed and losing in the 1st round to the 8 seed.
    Does it?

You think the Hawks were a better team than the Heat?

They were the true 8th seed. What they didn't have was the 8th best record in their conference.

No matter what argument you're trying to make, all history will continue to log Miami as the 8th. A 7th seed cannot pay against the 1st seed in the playoffs.
    In that case, the 8th seed beating the 1st loses all meaning.

A team could be 10 games better than the 8th seed but lose 1 play-in game.

Would they be the "true 8th seed" ?

Try answering that, and remember, its a matter of principle.

Current polls fellas.

In that case, the 8th seed beating the 1st loses all meaning.

A team could be 10 games better than the 8th seed but lose 1 play-in game.

Try answering that, and remember, its a matter of principle.
    It doesn't lose all meaning. Whatever the circumstance, all that will be remembered is the results that the history books will keep. Whether it's a unique order because of division winner rules, whether it's because of a play-in reorder, or whether there is a shortened series due to a 5-game series. Nobody is going to place large significance on those details.

It doesn't lose all meaning. Whatever the circumstance, all that will be remembered is the results that the history books will keep. Whether it's a unique order because of division winner rules, whether it's because of a play-in reorder, or whether there is a shortened series due to a 5-game series. Nobody is going to place large significance on those details.
    I dont care about people placing significance on it, of course most wont bother looking it up, but they arent the true 8th seed.

Theyre the opposite of the true 8th seed.

Thats wgy, again, try answering if a team could be 10 games better than the 8th seed but lose 1 play-in game.

You know its complete rubbish to think that way.

I dont care about people placing significance on it, of course most wont bother looking it up, but they arent the true 8th seed.

Theyre the opposite of the true 8th seed.

Thats wgy, again, try answering if a team could be 10 games better than the 8th seed but lose 1 play-in game.

You know its complete rubbish to think that way.
    Even if they were 10 games ahead, fault is on them for losing with HCA to an inferior team and putting their whole season at risk and possibly getting eliminated altogether by a 9th-10th seed.

Even if they were 10 games ahead, fault is on them for losing with HCA to an inferior team and putting their whole season at risk and possibly getting eliminated altogether by a 9th-10th seed.
    How tf does that make any sense?

It still wouldnt make them the true 8th seed. Are you playing stupid?

Its not their fault someone wanted to throw off a seasons worth of volume for entertainment purposes.

It doesnt change anything except its 1 lost game that arbitrarily was given more purpose than an entire seasons worth of games. Thats exacty why we play 82 games and not 16.

The bigger volume makes it bulletproof.

The play-in is purely entertainment (although it in fact makes the season finish far less entertaining)

I mean...

What exactly are we doing here?

Why are you people so easily swayed by some man-made interruption of a mathmetical fact?

Next thing the NBA is gonna implement a game between the 8th and the 5th seed, winner gets 5th loser gets 8th.

You two would be here "they were the true 5th seed, nothing else will be remembered, they even lost that game big haha!"

Thats the same principle as the play-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    The way it’s shaping up right now we might not get a garbage first round playoff series to throw on NBA TV and disregard while we all get our errands done before the real game start later on tnt or espn. That garbage series is ann important part of my early playoff experience.

What series are you running on nba tv while better ones are on abc right now?

If the Bulls win in the play in we would have that truly garbage series to ignore. But that’s our only option isn’t it?
    Well... you got your wish for the 1st playoff game of the year... Cleveland vs Orlando.

I'm going to pick up my taxes tomorrow during that one.