Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: All the 90s fans upset at the we done with the 90s movement:

It will happen to everyone, as already pointed out. The fixation on the 90s is simply because that is when MJ had his 6 rings, hence the need to trash it. If the clapping back is coming from this generation, it's understandable. If it is coming from generations before the 90s, those that stan Wilt for example, it's just hilarious.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon View Post
    The biggest difference in eras is the pioneers of a previous era no longer wow the next generation, let's be honest. Sure the future is inspired by the past, but with the ability to study the methodology and creative processes it isnt so special anymore. Music, media, sports, any arena you call up the pioneers are ho hum normal to the next generation, especially when we're talking multiple generations past.And this is coming from someone who could care less about modern music lol.
    I don't think this argument is true necessarily.

A band like The Beatles is still massively popular as is Elvis and while I don't understand it, that's the way it is. Michael Jackson, if he was allowed to be played would wow everyone too.

I actually completely disagree that the ability to study the methodology makes things better. I think it makes them much worse.

Particularly I think the fact that there's so much money in entertainment, music, sports, whatever, it means that the incentive to be "just good enough" without taking too much risk is just too great.

Why take a chance on your music or your shooting form, when all these consultants and mentors will tell you just what the algorithm will promote on Spotify or how draft agents will choose the 3-and-D wing.

Money ruins everything.

Also, if the NBA remastered their games from previous eras, I bet they would be very popular. I'd watch Wilt, Russel, Oscar, West, Cousy, Pistol Pete all day.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    I mean, that's obviously true, but it's not a given that things get better.

Music was better in the 60s and 70s, just no comparison the explosion in bands. People didn't have streaming or even music videos, so bands had to be really good, so they were.

Movies were better in the 80s, again, for various reasons, mostly that video was just coming out, there was no streaming, no series.

Basketball was better in the 90s, there was far less money, but still modern day training, so players played harder, were better, had a blue collar background.

Are things better today, sure, but it's not music, movies or basketball, that's just facts.
    I think there are two sides to this conversation, the individual player and the product. The standard of the average player is better than 30 years ago. I'm not referring to the very top 5% of the league. I mean the 7th/8th/9th man off the bench. Of course modern rules allow these guys to do things that were outlawed in the 90s, but then the guys from the 60s and 70s would say the same thing about the 90s. The other side of the conversation is the product on the floor. That's what I would say is worse or at least, less interesting. Very few real rivalries, players are more concerned about protecting their brand, AAU culture affecting competitive drive, the 3 point explosion removing diversity from offenses as its just 5 out and spamming pick and rolls.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I think there are two sides to this conversation, the individual player and the product. The standard of the average player is better than 30 years ago. I'm not referring to the very top 5% of the league. I mean the 7th/8th/9th man off the bench. Of course modern rules allow these guys to do things that were outlawed in the 90s, but then the guys from the 60s and 70s would say the same thing about the 90s. The other side of the conversation is the product on the floor. That's what I would say is worse or at least, less interesting. Very few real rivalries, players are more concerned about protecting their brand, AAU culture affecting competitive drive, the 3 point explosion removing diversity from offenses as its just 5 out and spamming pick and rolls.
    I agree with this. The average player is better now. Top talent is top talent regardless of era. As for the product, as much as I was very much alive and involved in basketball in the 90s, I prefer the 2000s. From 1999 to 2012 or something like that. Defense was intense but not as brutal and the offense had versatility. You found teams playing different styles and be effective. Plus the star power was immense. Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Iverson, T-Mac, LeBron, Dirk, Nash... many others. I wouldn't want the 90s back if I had a choice. Give me the mid 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    I agree with this. The average player is better now. Top talent is top talent regardless of era. As for the product, as much as I was very much alive and involved in basketball in the 90s, I prefer the 2000s. From 1999 to 2012 or something like that. Defense was intense but not as brutal and the offense had versatility. You found teams playing different styles and be effective. Plus the star power was immense. Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Iverson, T-Mac, LeBron, Dirk, Nash... many others. I wouldn't want the 90s back if I had a choice. Give me the mid 2000s.
    I've started coming around to this as well recently. As far as my observations over the last 35 years or so, it's the center-point as far as skill-sets/team tendencies/rules.

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous View Post
    Fans have always been sick of 30+ years ago players/fans criticisms of the modern game. Fans have always wanted to remind old heads that their time is up. Fans have always felt the past game was played in a simpler more crude form against a bunch of people no current fan thinks is even worth learning about. A few good names from 30+ years back MAY be worth discussing at best and the rest are to be written off as scrubs. Your generation did exactly this in the Jordan and Kobe eras.. how many circular arguments did we see right here on insidehoops to the tune of "nobody/barely anyone from the 60's/70's could play today" in the Jordan/Kobe era and that those eras were defined as perhaps a few good guys vs mostly scrubs playing an ugly looking game that is best left behind?

And now your dumbasses are up in arms over the audacity of these new young fans that sound EXACTLY like your generation sounded
    Except we've seen no one do it better pre- or post-Jordan.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Except we've seen no one do it better pre- or post-Jordan.
    ...they literally moved the 3 point line in for Jordan WTF!? This is as embarrassing to modern fans as you thought Bob Cousy's dribble looked when you first saw it in slow motion. Literally kids today at planet fitness shoot a higher percentage from 3 than peak Jordan did, and they do it on step backs that he didn't even know how to do.

In your efforts to prop him up, you ultimately wrote the book on how to destroy Jordan. Don't you remember?

*era sucks, competition sucks, ugly awkward looking basketball, skills that don't apply to today*

You wrote that recipe down in your conquest to neutralize the dominant resume's of Wilt, Jabbar or Russell. Just remember, their era sucked, competition sucked, they played ugly awkward looking basketball, and their skills don't apply to today.

Same with MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon View Post
    And this is the jumping off point for most of the older fans, when the smoke clears alot of the 90s fans won't be fans anymore and the consensus will start to be reshaped on lots of things with the sport. Maybe it will happen slower this time around because we have social media.
    Most of them barely watch basketball anyway. They love the arguments more than the game.

Guys like Da Realest.

...they literally moved the 3 point line in for Jordan WTF!? This is as embarrassing to modern fans as you thought Bob Cousy's dribble looked when you first saw it in slow motion. Literally kids today at planet fitness shoot a higher percentage from 3 than peak Jordan did, and they do it on step backs that he didn't even know how to do.

In your efforts to prop him up, you ultimately wrote the book on how to destroy Jordan. Don't you remember?

*era sucks, competition sucks, ugly awkward looking basketball, skills that don't apply to today*

You wrote that recipe down in your conquest to neutralize the dominant resume's of Wilt, Jabbar or Russell. Just remember, their era sucked, competition sucked, they played ugly awkward looking basketball, and their skills don't apply to today.

Same with MJ.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    That's subjective though. There has always been shit music and shit movies and there is still good stuff today. Talking about no streaming etc...Imagine the amount of absolute garbage you didn't get to hear. The no talent hacks playing at the local drinking spots etc. Your basketball points can easily be argued against also and they ignore what people have already been saying.

Don't be a boomer.
    lol @ this dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by paksat View Post
    I am the eggman
    They are the eggmen
    I am the walrus
    Goo goo g'joob

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    I don't think this argument is true necessarily.

A band like The Beatles is still massively popular as is Elvis and while I don't understand it, that's the way it is. Michael Jackson, if he was allowed to be played would wow everyone too.

I actually completely disagree that the ability to study the methodology makes things better. I think it makes them much worse.

Particularly I think the fact that there's so much money in entertainment, music, sports, whatever, it means that the incentive to be "just good enough" without taking too much risk is just too great.

Why take a chance on your music or your shooting form, when all these consultants and mentors will tell you just what the algorithm will promote on Spotify or how draft agents will choose the 3-and-D wing.

Money ruins everything.

Also, if the NBA remastered their games from previous eras, I bet they would be very popular. I'd watch Wilt, Russel, Oscar, West, Cousy, Pistol Pete all day.
    I'm gonna press disagree on that one. The Beatles were unimaginably popular in their day, right now? Not so much. Completely agree that money changed sports and entertainment in general. So good ways and soem bad. And of course you'd watch remastered games from those years, you're old! Lol. Seriously those games matter to guys like us but to the the kids coming up now? Nope. I've actually braved watching some old tape with teen hoop fans, I was pissed .

Most of them barely watch basketball anyway. They love the arguments more than the game.

Guys like Da Realest.
    I never could quite figure that one out. It's widespread too. Guys who supposedly can't watch the product, because the 90s were so superior, yet have the most to say about it. They're really closet stans.

Banned

Same with MJ.
    MJ's skills wouldn't apply to today???

Lol, put down the crack buddy.

Same with MJ.
    Wasn't Jordan retired when this happened?