Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Outrageous take or no?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Outrageous take or no?

I suppose it's not an outrageous take. Because as you always say, the margins between these top guys are so thin that it often comes down to team construction, coaching, various personalities within the organization, etc.

I personally would rather have Steph because I think he came with less drama.

As the league is currently constructed I wouldn't consider someone crazy for choosing Luka though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Both great players but Lukas style in place of curry doesn't fit with Golden State back then. Dray and Iggy spotting up while he pounds the rock isn't a winning formula imo.

There's a very thin line separating the best of the best. There are situations Luka would be better in and also situations Curry would be better in.

The only conclusion I can take out of this after watching the tape is that they are both apart of the evolution of Supreme basketball skill and we are done with the older eras of right hand spam dribbling and sagging defenses.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Not a hot take at all. I personally like Curry because his game's just so portable, you can put him in any offense and we will make it exponentially better. But Luka in his limited playoff showing has shown that he's a gamer and is able to impose his will physically.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

what place are the Mavs in ???

Wars all most never saw anything but first place

/

Curry was the only unanimous MVP in league history, in a league with prime KD/Lebron and healthy Kawhi, so yeah that is a pretty lame take.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Curry was the only unanimous MVP in league history, in a league with prime KD/Lebron and healthy Kawhi, so yeah that is a pretty lame take.
    Yea but he crumpled in the playoffs in a way we haven't seen from Luka yet.

So your opinion is based on the media's opinion...?

And yes, of course it is reasonable for a given person to prefer any one of the top players over another one.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    So your opinion is based on the media's opinion...?

And yes, of course it is reasonable for a given person to prefer any one of the top players over another one.

That and the fact that Curry had the best advanced stats in the league across the board. Curry also led the league in ppg, TS and steals.

You imagine that if you polled the people who voted him mvp they would say he was the best player in the league at the time? I don’t know that they would. It isn’t really the same question is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    You imagine that if you polled the people who voted him mvp they would say he was the best player in the league at the time? I don’t know that they would. It isn’t really the same question is it?
    You could argue that "best player" would need to prove it for more than 1 season......oh wait Steph won the MVP the year before too. Never mind.

You could argue that "best player" would need to prove it for more than 1 season......oh wait Steph won the MVP the year before too. Never mind.

And The people who gave it to him that year routinely said the best player in the league was LeBron then as well. There is a clear distinction Made by the people giving out the award. Would you disagree? Even if you don’t think there should be a distinction, it clearly exists. It’s entirely possible the MVP is about to go to someone else not generally believed to be the best player in the league.

It’s not that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    And The people who gave it to him that year routinely said the best player in the league was LeBron then as well. There is a clear distinction Made by the people giving out the award. Would you disagree? Even if you don’t think there should be a distinction, it clearly exists. It’s entirely possible the MVP is about to go to someone else not generally believed to be the best player in the league.

It’s not that uncommon.

Everyone has their own criteria for the MVP. There never was a clear directive from the league what the parameters were. In theory a voter can just vote for the best player on his favorite team.

But when one player gets all the first place votes that gives a pretty clear indication that they feel he is the best player, not to mention the overwhelming statistical advantage Steph had over everyone else.

I don't buy the notion that there were a lot of people who voted for Steph in 2016 who didn't think he was the best player.

Imo if there was a poll given in 2016 asking who the best player was, at least during the regular season, I do think Steph would get the vast majority of the votes. He was so phenomenal individually, while leading his team to a record most people assumed would never be broken. He even had the championship hardware for those insistent on rings being a requirement.

After the Finals though, it'd be hard to say LeBron didn't emphatically take that mantle back.

I suppose it comes down to the time you generally mean when you ask those questions. When I ask who the best player was in 2011 Does the general answer from that time of LeBron come to your head first or do you think about Dirk? It kind of varies by season doesn’t it? Hakeem was the best player in 1995. An unbelievable amount of people during the season in 1995 would’ve said David Robinson. He also won MVP. Hakeem was 5th. 4th among centers even. But Hakeem feels like the answer.

how often would you say the answer people might give you in March supersedes the answer that immediately comes to your head when you ask yourself the question?

For the record I don’t care if anyone thinks Curry was better in 2016 than Luka is now. I assumed that would be the general answer which is why I was compelled to ask when I saw so many people saying they agreed Luka was better.

The actual answer doesn’t bug me either way. As usual I’m more interested in the process and the weeds around the question.

Now I’m thinking….

What do we generally mean when we say somebody was the best player in a season?

The changes so much by year. Like I think Kobe would probably win that poll during the 2006 season. But an awful lot of people call it wades year. I still think he’d lose to Kobe in a poll now but I’m not sure he loses it in June 06. Seems we take the season as a whole that year.

But 2011? 97? Anyone repping Embiid as the best last year? Doesn’t seem like it. But he was unproven. Duncan was unproven going into the 99 playoffs but left a made man. 99 Duncan’s year? Or the unproven at the time Shaq or MVP Malone who got embarrassed?

It kinda just…takes on a life of its own. Nothing across the board seems to govern it like the mvp award itself.