Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Take a second to answer one of the most pointless questions you’ve ever been asked.

Peak Steph Curry if he is not allowed to shoot/attempt to score the ball in any way or Phoenix Jason Kidd if he’s not allowed to pass it once he receives the ball. Both can do everything else as normal.

Who is better?

And of course…it doesn’t matter.

Default Re: Take a second to answer one of the most pointless questions you’ve ever been aske

Curry not being allowed to shoot is legitimately worthless, Kidd can at least provide ATG defense, rebound well for his position, and unlike Curry in this scenario is allowed to shoot and score points.

I'd honestly like to see an argument made for Curry in this scenario.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Take a second to answer one of the most pointless questions you’ve ever been aske

I was actually thinking about it watching a video of his I made before his prime. Back when he was more of a playmaker. I think both scenarios will come down to whether or not the defense knows the limitation. Once you know kid absolutely will not pass the ball you just collapse on him on the catch because he has to shoot it or dribble around looking for a shot. And if you don’t know curry can’t shoot it you would defend him as normal for quite a while and he would shred you. One game with no advanced warning of what they were doing and why? Curry might have 22 assists.

An ignorant defense unaware of the stipulations would make it interesting.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Assuming the defense doesn't know Curry isn't allowed to shoot he has more value. He will still keep one defense away from the action when he doesn't have the ball and demand a double when he does. He could try to play like prime Kidd in that circumstance and create some good looks. Kidd is still far ahead defensively but I would hate to see an offense that was based on him scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Curry not being allowed to shoot is legitimately worthless, Kidd can at least provide ATG defense, rebound well for his position, and unlike Curry in this scenario is allowed to shoot and score points.

I'd honestly like to see an argument made for Curry in this scenario.
    Well the argument would be Curry’s handles/passing are better than Kidd’s scoring, which is true I believe, I guess the question is does the defense know he isnt ever going to shoot? Since that will make a big difference in how they guard him. And does the defense know Kidd will never pass?

You also have to really picture a guy not being able to pass once he gets the ball. You could just trap him and hes gonna have to throw up a wild shot. Then again if Curry isnt allowed to shoot, you dont even have to put a man on him. You just play 5 on 4 and what are they gonna do?

I dunno. I guess you do have to take Kidd. It’s a pretty stupid question tho.

Enough tomfoolery OP. Atone for this silly and pointless topic by stickying a thread about Lebron’s immense ***** size.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

You could technically mold an offense around Kidd in this situation starting him at SG and never giving him the ball unless it's to shoot an open 3. When he retired he was like top 5 in 3pters made in league history I think.

The only players from the 90s that made more 3s than Kidd were Reggie, Ray, Vince Carter, and Paul Pierce. Kidd made more 3s than Dirk believe it or not. That kinda blew my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Assuming the defense doesn't know Curry isn't allowed to shoot he has more value. He will still keep one defense away from the action when he doesn't have the ball and demand a double when he does. He could try to play like prime Kidd in that circumstance and create some good looks. Kidd is still far ahead defensively but I would hate to see an offense that was based on him scoring.
    He wouldn't demand a double if he was taking 0 FGAs a game. He'd be unplayable in this scenario. Everybody would be though. Dennis Rodman is probably the only guy in NBA history that could get away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    He wouldn't demand a double if he was taking 0 FGAs a game. He'd be unplayable in this scenario.
    "Assuming the defense doesn't know Curry isn't allowed to shoot"

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    "Assuming the defense doesn't know Curry isn't allowed to shoot"
    Ok, but by the time you get to the 2nd quarter and he still hasn't taken a single shot, I think the defense and coaching staff would catch on to what was happening.

Well they're gonna figure that out pretty quickly when he's taking 0 shots per game.

Kidd would also have to stop rebounding the ball because once the defense figures out he can't pass he'd have to go 1v5 on every defensive rebound. Which would be a circus act filled with full and half court heaves.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Ok, but by the time you get to the 2nd quarter and he still hasn't taken a single shot, I think the defense and coaching staff would catch on to what was happening.
    If the defense is going to adjust to how they are playing and not go on reputation a Curry that doesn't score would not be a rotation NBA player. There has to be a reason for him to be on the floor or else this isn't a discussion.

Facts Are Misleading

An average defensive guard, who can't rebound particularly well either... While being a worthless offensive player (doesn't need to be guarded whatsoever)

Vs a guy who was a great defender, rebounder for his poison and is allowed to shoot (MPJ doesn't pass the ball much but he's still useful, so it's possible for JKidd to provide some type of value on offense if he's shooting well)

The answer is very very clear. So clear that you could have done better in this hypothetical.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

This is as inane (not insane, but inane) as when an insecure b!tch who never dated a dude as handsome before , asks sh!t like:

“Would you still be with me, if I got crippled in a car accident?”