Local High School Star

Default Hawks guard Dejounte Murray took 44 shots yesterday

BleacherReport: "Dejounte Murray had a big night on Thursday, scoring 44 points while adding seven rebounds, seven assists, two steals and a block in Atlanta's 123-122 overtime win against the Boston Celtics. Oh, and he hit the game-winning shot, too"

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Hawks guard Dejounte Murray took 44 shots yesterday

I read that the staff said they were just allowing him to iso on KP to work on their switch everything defense but I can’t find the video right now so I don’t know if it’s legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I read that the staff said they were just allowing him to iso on KP to work on their switch everything defense but I can’t find the video right now so I don’t know if it’s legit.
    He switched onto him it felt like almost every possession in the second half and overtime. I know he took 44 shots to score 44 points, but down the stretch he was money for them. Made the needed baskets at clutch moments. Also hit the dagger in OT over Jrue. Tatum couldn't even get a clean shot against Bogdonovic at the end of regulation.

It actually amazes me how the Celtics can't ever get a clean look off or put together some sort of play at the end of a game to get a better shot than what they get from Tatum. Dribbles out the clock essentially then takes a stepback shot, just to brick it. The reason the Celtics have been so successful this season has been because of their ball movement. At least try and run some sort of set and possibly have another player outside of Tatum take the last shot.

Super frustrating to watch, and even more frustrating to watch knowing that it'll cost us playoff games that we have no business losing.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

That was their strategy in the fourth. The Celtics didn't bother adjusting until it was too late.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    He switched onto him it felt like almost every possession in the second half and overtime. I know he took 44 shots to score 44 points, but down the stretch he was money for them. Made the needed baskets at clutch moments. Also hit the dagger in OT over Jrue. Tatum couldn't even get a clean shot against Bogdonovic at the end of regulation.

It actually amazes me how the Celtics can't ever get a clean look off or put together some sort of play at the end of a game to get a better shot than what they get from Tatum. Dribbles out the clock essentially then takes a stepback shot, just to brick it. The reason the Celtics have been so successful this season has been because of their ball movement. At least try and run some sort of set and possibly have another player outside of Tatum take the last shot.

Super frustrating to watch, and even more frustrating to watch knowing that it'll cost us playoff games that we have no business losing.
    I feel like at this point it couldn’t hurt to explore KP as a late game option. He seems to kill it mismatch hunting.

Celtics doing celtic things... only surprise is that it happened sooner than the post season

Ive always wondered why teams lean so heavily on perimeter hero ball at the end of games, but I've recently come to realize it's about the game-ending cost of a turnover on a final possession. You might get a better shot if you run a play, but you also increase the odds of a turnover by passing it around. Which is the one thing that cannot happen on a final possession. A single turnover elsewhere in the game isnt a big deal, but on the last play it's fatal. Which is I guess why teams tend to just give it to whomever is best at launching up prayers, and having him protect the ball until the end and hoist it up. Just to make sure you actually get an attempt on goal. Tbh it's sort of like kicking a field goal vs going for it on fourth/two point conversion. With hero ball youre at least guaranteed (usually) to get a shot at some points, similar to kicking a field goal when in range. It's the safer option. Running a play on the last possession (not withstanding inbound plays with no running clock and no choice but to pass) is higher risk, higher reward. There's still no guarantee someone hits the shot at the end of the drawn up play, and on top of that youre risking a turnover. So in that sense I kinda get it. Even though it often feels like a stupid shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I feel like at this point it couldn’t hurt to explore KP as a late game option. He seems to kill it mismatch hunting.
    Only if he has the mismatch. Otherwise he's too slow at making reads, is easily thrown off, and does not respond well to surprises or broken plays.

If he could do all those things then he'd be a superstar with his physical gifts and skill with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post

They were out-rebounded on the offensive boards, one of the things that costed them the game. Makes others wonder if mazzulla is ready for the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    They were out-rebounded on the offensive boards, one of the things that costed them the game. Makes others wonder if mazzulla is ready for the postseason.

I think you just invented a word

Oof uncle t seems to have become highly strung over a misspelling rn.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I could see faulting Mazzulla for not running better plays down the stretch to create easy shots and taking too long to change the way Murray was defended but the rebounding is largely about the Hawks out-hustling the Celtics.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    I could see faulting Mazzulla for not running better plays down the stretch to create easy shots and taking too long to change the way Murray was defended but the rebounding is largely about the Hawks out-hustling the Celtics.
    Yes, maybe they also underestimated the hawks after the huge lead they had in the first half but damn. To lose a 30-point lead as the overwhelming 1st seed and to the same team on b2b meetings is kinda embarrassing. Hopefully it doesn't happen again to them lol.