Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you take prime Hakeem/Shaq/Duncan over prime Jokic today?

Or even back in the 90s/00s?

Default Re: Would you take prime Hakeem/Shaq/Duncan over prime Jokic today?

They all have inherent strengths and weaknesses. They're not on different tiers. I hope no one thinks that. I don't think you're implying that.

Hard to tell what they'd be in today's league. I'd say Hakeem has the strongest case out of the 3.

They all represent unknown quantities playing in eras outside their own. Yes Im sure all these guys COULD play in each other’s era, but we dont know how they would stack up against the very best under different circumstances. So theres just no point.

Whatever era the hypothetical game takes place in, you take the best guy from that era (or Lebron to cover your bases in all eras).

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Hakeem...HELL YES!!!

Hakeem ran through a gauntlet of all time great centers to win his titles, back when the game was played from the inside out. Jokic, and I respect the hell out of him, He could play in any era.. simply doesn't have that competition at his position.

I actually think Hakeem would thrive in today's league. The guy didn't start playing basketball until he was 15 years old, he was a soccer player/goalie (reason for the blocks/rebounds/feet) and could run and handle like a guard. Hakeem would thrive in today's league. He not only had the greatest footwork of any center, but he also had one of the greatest footwork and moves regardless of position. Watching him against Jokic would've definitely been a treat ��

Quote Originally Posted by TMac&Luther View Post
    Hakeem...HELL YES!!!

Hakeem ran through a gauntlet of all time great centers to win his titles, back when the game was played from the inside out. Jokic, and I respect the hell out of him, He could play in any era.. simply doesn't have that competition at his position.

I actually think Hakeem would thrive in today's league. The guy didn't start playing basketball until he was 15 years old, he was a soccer player/goalie (reason for the blocks/rebounds/feet) and could run and handle like a guard. Hakeem would thrive in today's league. He not only had the greatest footwork of any center, but he also had one of the greatest footwork and moves regardless of position. Watching him against Jokic would've definitely been a treat ��
    Career loser bar the years MJ was swinging at curveballs and the 3 point-line was shortened.

For 6 straight years from the ages of 24-30, he failed to win a playoff series, often losing to teams led by Dale Ellis, or Derek Harper.

Hakeem wasn't transcendent like Jokic or Duncan (neither was Shaq).

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness View Post
    Career loser bar the years MJ was swinging at curveballs and the 3 point-line was shortened.

For 6 straight years from the ages of 24-30, he failed to win a playoff series, often losing to teams led by Dale Ellis, or Derek Harper.

Hakeem wasn't transcendent like Jokic or Duncan (neither was Shaq).
    Obviously posted by a guy who never saw him play and is just pulling up stats.. the team was derailed by injuries and cocaine addictions during that time.. As far as Jordan goes stat guy.. please pull up Hakeem's win total verses Jordan's 90's bulls. Something people always forget, the bulls had no answer for him. Bill Cartwright ect.. paleassse

The Bulls are lucky we didn't come out of the Western Conference (would've changed Jordan's entire legacy).. They can thank the Super Sonics for that.. styles make fights. We didn't match up against them.. the same way the "badass Jordan bulls" didn't match up against us. We definitely matched up against them, but Jordan decided to take a Dave Chappelle hiatus and play shitty baseball.

Take your Jordan retirement B.S. and shove it.. would've loved to see Hakeem slay him (like so many others) during that run too

"Hakeem Olajuwon wasn't transcendent"... Wake me the **** up when all time great guards/forwards like Kobe and LeBron ask a 50+ year old Jokic to teach them his post moves/footwork..

You are completely ignorant regarding the question asked.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 03-28-2024 at 10:26 AM.

You know what is probably one of Hakeem's greatest accomplishments... He was drafted in front of Michael Jordan.. and NO ONE QUESTIONS IT.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Hakeem yes now or then. The others would be asked to adjust their games a bit more today and were less mobile on D so it’s harder to say what they would be. For the times they played I’d keep all 3 over Jokic. What’s he gonna do that they didn’t? Win it extra hard?

Generally you go with whoever proved it in the setting in question. Hakeem I just have more faith in today as a defensive menace who also can’t be guarded.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

If I already have the best player in the league, why would I swap him out for an unknown?

Yes I would take Hakeem, Shaq, and Duncan over prime Jokic.

Yep, Dream would've wiped his ass with today's centers..

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TMac&Luther View Post
    Hakeem...HELL YES!!!

how many titles does Hakeem have ???

I would take Shaq and Duncan over one title Joker.
    Duncan would be hard to pass at 4 titles and his high IQ of bball.
    Joker gets 3 chips ,, we can have another discussion.

** If Giannis gets another chip and possibly another MVP , we can have a discussion of Giannis and his mentor Keem ..

What the **** are you dudes even thinking when you make threads like this?

Take to what? What is the situation?