Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Jokic has a lock on the MVP now

69 games played, cannot be disqualified
    Top seed in the West, 1 game ahead of OKC

Based on record, only the Wolves, Thunder, and Celtics are comparable or better. The rest are too far away.

Anthony Edwards has an impressive stat line, but pales in comparison to Jokic.

Tatum's stats are better than Ant's, but still falls significantly short of Jokic.

ppg: 26.1 Jokic, 27.3 Tatum, 30.4 Shai
    rpg: 12.3 J, 8.2 T, 5.6 S
    apg: 9.0 J, 4.9 T, 6.3 S
    spg: 1.3 J, 1.0 T, 2.1 S
    bpg: 0.9 J, 0.6 T, 0.9 S
    fg%: 55.7 J, 46.1 T, 49.6 S

Jokic is a C that is 4th in assists in the league.
    He is 14th in the league in spg, beating ex DPOY Giannis, perennial DPOY contender Davis, and elite defender Bam. In fact, Jokic leads the league in defensive +/- and #6 in defensive rating.
    Jokic is #1 in PER, win shares, box +/-, and VORP.

Utterly dominant MVP season. No racist Perkins hit job is going to take this one away.
    Last edited by basketballcat; 03-28-2024 at 12:07 AM.

Default Re: Jokic has a lock on the MVP now

It's gotta be either Jokic or SGA. Luka might get a couple votes but his team hasn't won enough games. Tatum should not be in the convo.

SGA is #1 in EPM and if he carries a bunch of kids to a #1 seed he should be a strong MVP candidate.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Easily the MVP, should have 4 straight.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I still like my Giannis

I still like my Lebron

It will come down to Jokic and SGA. I don't think anyone else is close.

Facts Are Misleading

Its not Jokic and SGA. It's just Jokic.

The odds are -1100 in favor of Jokic. That's about as big a lock as you're gonna see at this point in the year.

Facts Are Misleading

SGA is a +1100 underdog. I could bet 100 dollars and win 1110 if SGA won it (he won't) or bet 100 and win 11 dollars on Jokic if he wins it (he will)

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Its not Jokic and SGA. It's just Jokic.

The odds are -1100 in favor of Jokic. That's about as big a lock as you're gonna see at this point in the year.
    Odds are not a prediction of result, they're a prediction of public expectation. It doesnt matter which way odds makers truly believe something is gonna go. The line is set based on where they believe the public thinks it's gonna go.

I'm not sure these odds take into account potential agendas among the voters. We all know which way Perk is going. And if Mark Jackson still has a ballot we know how that's gonna work out.

I personally think there are reasonable cases to be made for each guy. But SGA definitely has a narrative/agenda edge if they last couple years are any indication.

Facts Are Misleading

Vegas doesn't like to lose money. They have a pretty good idea what the voters are going to do at this point in time. They're protecting themselves from the inevitable (Jokic winning it) by putting his odds so far ahead that it won't attract a lot of bets.

Any SGA bets are just easy money for them right now. This isn't a game where odds are set on an unpredictable event. We know who votes, Vegas knows whos votes and they have a general idea where they are leaning as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Vegas doesn't like to lose money. They have a pretty good idea what the voters are going to do at this point in time. They're protecting themselves from the inevitable (Jokic winning it) by putting his odds so far ahead that it won't attract a lot of bets.

Any SGA bets are just easy money for them right now. This isn't a game where odds are set on an unpredictable event. We know who votes, Vegas knows whos votes and they have a general idea where they are leaning as of right now.

If it’s already a fate accompli then theres no reason for anyone to bet, and that does Vegas no good. Vegas isnt trying to bet against the public on the outcome. Theyre trying to facilitate the public betting against each other while taking a house cut.

The purpose with the odds is to entice bets for both guys. They place the odds wherever they think that is likely to happen. Some people will like the “easy money” on Jokic right now and some will like the potential for “big money” on Shai. But it’s based on how oddsmakers think the public sees it. If they believe Jokic CANNOT lose at this point, they would just stop taking bets on him. Otherwise theyre giving away money.

They believe this line will entice bettors on both sides.

My vote SGA.
    Went from 10th seed last season to a possible 1st seed.
    Joker is doing what he's done the past 4 seasons.

Facts Are Misleading

They take no cut with the odds set the way they are. If they get 50 percent of TOTAL payouts they're on the hook for, they break even. This is even more or a point that it's Jokic and nobody else in the conversation right now. If they thought it was a two man race, with both having a somewhat legit chance of winning it they would raise Jokic odds to entice more betting action on him and lower SGA significantly.

Something like Jokic -550 and SGA +350

That leaves a lot of meat on the bone for Vegas to take home a profit.

The NFL draft is no different. Caleb Williams is going #1 and everyone knows it. He's still on the board at ridiculously low payout to go #1. Any bets placed on anyone other than Caleb is free money to Vegas at this point.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    My vote SGA.
    Went from 10th seed last season to a possible 1st seed.
    Joker is doing what he's done the past 4 seasons.
    SGAs production is the same as last year basically. So it's obvious there are other factors at play like... Chet playing.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    SGAs production is the same as last year basically. So it's obvious there are other factors at play like... Chet playing.
    This, and Jalen Williams getting better, most notably his 3 and D ability.