Default Would you rather be an NBA bench warmer or a star in the NBL?

Just a general philosophical question for ya, lads.

Anyone care to give it a go?
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 03-25-2024 at 08:53 PM.

Default Re: Would you rather be an NBA bench warmer or an allstar in the ABL (Australia)?

I dont know how the salaries compare to each other (Im guessing roughly equal?) and it’s up to you whether to factor that in your decision or not.

Also Im not really looking for a quality of life comparison between Australia and the US. Im just using the Oz league as a generic example, the question is about being a small fish in a prestigious pond or a big fish in a less prestigious pond.

Default Re: Would you rather be an NBA bench warmer or an allstar in the ABL (Australia)?

And yes I already know this thread will go nowhere.

Default Re: Would you rather be an NBA bench warmer or a star in the ABL?

Australian league is NBL*

Do you mean someone not getting any minutes, just playing garbage time etc? I'd rather be the bench warmer if actually given a role. Guys like Malik Monk make 10 times more money than NBL players.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Just a general philosophical question for ya, lads.

Anyone care to give it a go?
    The Australian league is called the NBL. Not the ABL.

To the question though, all things considered, surely you'd pick millions of dollars a year over hundreds of thousands? You could always go back to Australia in your 30s, like Delly and Baynes have.

Default Re: Would you rather be an NBA bench warmer or a star in the ABL?

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Australian league is NBL*

Do you mean someone not getting any minutes, just playing garbage time etc? I'd rather be the bench warmer if actually given a role. Guys like Malik Monk make 10 times more money than NBL players.
    Corrected.

And Malik Monk isnt a bench warmer. He plays 26 minutes a game.

Im talking about like… Scottie Pippen Jr. An end of the bench guy. DNP-CD. You travel with the team, youre on the roster, youre an NBA pro, but you only see action in blowouts.

More people are going to be familiar with your name if you make the NBA so you're going to get more opportunities no matter what happens. If I asked most casuals in Australia who made the Australian All-Star teams at any point in the last 5 years I would probably receive a blank star. Depends what you want to do with your life and where you want to live I guess. I'd want to make the NBA and test the waters. Pippen Jr has done some good things lately by the sounds of it.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Ive known NBA role players who barely lasted in the league. Not one of them talks about what they did in Europe. And every single one of them went to Europe after flaming out of the NBA. Their families don’t either. College? Yes. Nba? Yes. Over seas? Like it never happened.

Give me the nba career if the money is similar. And you would have to be utterly terrible for it to even be similar. There are 50 million dollar career earning bench warmers.

Default Re: Would you rather be an NBA bench warmer or a star in the NBL?

Financially there are a lot more opportunities in the NBA. Your salary is likely to be higher. And depending on how your people skills are, you could connect with the highest level of celebs, billionaires, CEOs, TV execs and star athletes.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Whichever pays more