Default Why is college B-Ball still two 20-minute halves and a 30 second shot clock?

And a bunch of other NCAA Basketball only rules. Why haven't they masked the NBA closer in rules and play over the years? I mean, 30 seconds tho. They were still 35 seconds not too long ago.

Default Re: Why is college B-Ball still two 20-minute halves and a 30 second shot clock?

In terms of game length I imagine it has to do with the logistics of student athlete schedules. These aren't once-a-week football games, these are games often played on weeknights, multiple nights per week. And the players are still at least in theory supposed to be students who attend classes and do homework and such. So minimizing the overall game time, with shorter halves and a single designated stoppage makes sense.

As far as the shotclock... probably has to do with giving kids who are still supposed to be "learning" to play the game at a high level more time to execute their offense properly, rather than just rushing things to satisfy fan demand for a faster product. Remember they are not technically "professional" players. The college experience is still supposed to have some kind of at least nominal emphasis on teaching.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Why is college B-Ball still two 20-minute halves and a 30 second shot clock?

A Number of people didn’t want the shot Clock in college at all. They liked the slower game where you took your time and found the right way to beat the defense. But the downside was teams getting a lead and just giving the ball to somebody you couldn’t get it from and stalling.

The shot clock was good, but I don’t see much reason for them to mimic the NBA much further. The NBA does a lot of things I don’t think leads to good ball.

But they aren’t trying to be good. They’re trying to be entertaining.

College ball is dope because you have so many teams and a wide variety of styles. You can find a team that's winning with just about every style of play.