Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Is Ant>Tatum an unreasonable take at this point?

Default Re: Is Ant>Tatum an unreasonable take at this point?

Yes

Facts Are Misleading

Absolutely not. It's debatable, and I for one would take Ant right now and for the next five years.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Similar level players. Both top 10 case guys.

Threads gonna look dumb though if Boston wins the title and Minnesota gets bounced in the 1st round by LA, Dallas, Golden State or Pheonix.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Similar level players. Both top 10 case guys.

Threads gonna look dumb though if Boston wins the title and Minnesota gets bounced in the 1st round by LA, Dallas, Golden State or Pheonix.
    I don’t think anyone thinks Minnesota is better than Boston. Is that what you’re taking this question to mean?

Tatum is more consistent offensively & a better shooter as of right now, but Edwards has more of that dawg in him. Post-ASB the numbers are really close, but that's with Tatum shooting a ridiculous 45% from 3 in those games.

With it being this close at their respective ages (Ant Man 22, Tatum 26), I think Ant could surpass him in a year or two unless Tatum takes that next step.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I don’t think anyone thinks Minnesota is better than Boston. Is that what you’re taking this question to mean?
    Nah just that the play in teams look stronger than the twolves right now. And losing 1st round with a top seed always generates hate.

Tatum is 3 years older and was 1st team All-NBA the last two seasons so no i don't think Ant is better right now. He might be better in a few years though.

Both guys have the same problem of settling for jumpers too often instead of using their physical advantages to get to the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Tatum is 3 years older and was 1st team All-NBA the last two seasons so no i don't think Ant is better right now. He might be better in a few years though.

Both guys have the same problem of settling for jumpers too often instead of using their physical advantages to get to the rim.
    Well the thing is Tatum's not that strong and Edwards is not that tall. Neither are really ideal guys for making plays in the paint for your offense. Sure they can finish plays in there some of the time but I dont think they're ideal for being primary shot creators for others.

Which is why I think teams should be wary of just forcing the ball into their hands because they're 'stars.' These guys can finish from anywhere, theyre good defenders, theyre athletic, you still get plenty of value out of them as all around players even if youre not giving them carte blanche to go 'mamba mentality.'

I think both guys would benefit from playing with a true point guard, which Conley is I guess but he's a more methodical one. When you watch OKC, Giddey pushes the tempo a lot and this gets SGA plenty of chance to finish in transition. They still go thru SGA when the offense slows and he has the leagues third highest usage, but it doesnt feel forced. But again thats the value of having a tall guard who can get into the paint and open up plays for the finishers. Guys like Giddey, Halliburton, Doncic. Tatum and Edwards arent really play makers, theyre finishers, but I feel like too often the offense starts AND ends with them. And I just dont see either of those guys playing that role at a championship level.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 03-21-2024 at 04:21 PM.

Can't speak on it until Ant performs more in the post-season.

Both are great during the season, but Tatum always becomes inconsistent in the post-season when opposing coaches figure him out. He and his coaching staff always fail to make adjustments leading to the Ls.

To be honest I haven't seen a single Wolves playoff game the last two years so I looked up ANTs numbers and so far( albeit a small sample size), he's had a decent start to his playoff career albeit in losses. I think that's what I need to see more of from him, a few more playoff runs. I think in terms of pure talent and upside, ANT has the edge if he can continue to refine his skills to match his otherwordly athleticism.

Not entirely unreasonable since they're not far apart but Tatum's still slightly better.

Tatum is among the more overrated players in the league. He's seen as great because his team has always been loaded.

Tatum on the Pistons would be Cade Cunningham.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    Tatum is among the more overrated players in the league. He's seen as great because his team has always been loaded.

Tatum on the Pistons would be Cade Cunningham.
    Tatum is a player waiting in the weeds in a game for 3 qtrs , then when his team is ahead , plays the hero baller.
    Ant like J.Brown is the core of their teams and I would take Ant any day of the week.

Tatum I believe can not carry his team(.)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

You can count on Ant to show up when it matters