Default Filipino Cuisine-- most disappointing?

I've been to a few Filipino restaurants throughout my life and have friends who have a Filipino cookout in their backyard from time to time - you know, fish fry and everything. But I can't help but notice Filipino cuisine is just not great. Don't get me wrong, there are some that are very good, like lechon, but overall disappointing. Some foods are overly acidic and some are overall too fatty/greasy -- not really a good mixture to cut through.

But when you think about the history, they had the potential of something great - you know, geographically and the Spanish and American influence but they messed it up. Am I the only one with this experience?

Is there a more disappointing cuisine?

Default Re: Filipino Cuisine-- most disappointing?

all i can tell you is that lebron23 makes the worst fish-fry and is a terrible host to boot.

You should try sisig, liempo, menudo or Filipino basketball

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    I've been to a few Filipino restaurants throughout my life and have friends who have a Filipino cookout in their backyard from time to time - you know, fish fry and everything. But I can't help but notice Filipino cuisine is just not great. Don't get me wrong, there are some that are very good, like lechon, but overall disappointing. Some foods are overly acidic and some are overall too fatty/greasy -- not really a good mixture to cut through.

But when you think about the history, they had the potential of something great - you know, geographically and the Spanish and American influence but they messed it up. Am I the only one with this experience?

Is there a more disappointing cuisine?
    Have you had adobo chicken? It’s pretty good imo.

There are different regions with different types of foods. Where I'm from has some of the most unique but delicious dishes not found anywhere else. It all depends which region.

Also restaurant wise Filipinos aren't really great entrepreneurs but rather the prefer hires at other style restaurants. If you ever notice top end restaurants will generally have Filipino kitchen staff. So think about that when eating at your favorite restaurant. Filipinos with better wealth tend to stick to the health care industry. IE, nursing.

But I agree with you. In general Filipino cuisine is rare to find out there. Which is why I'm personally going to open a joint with Filipino cusine. I haven't quite figured out the overall concept, but it's definitely going to be geared towards tapas style that goes great with beer

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Jollibees has the weirdest menu ever. Like spaghetti and fried chicken. it tasted pretty good though.

My wife is Filipino so I tried a lot. Adobo and bulalo are great but I agree the cuisine is not my favorite!

I love the mango pies from Jollibee. The fried chicken is also top notch but the rest is just ok.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid View Post
    There are different regions with different types of foods. Where I'm from has some of the most unique but delicious dishes not found anywhere else. It all depends which region.

Also restaurant wise Filipinos aren't really great entrepreneurs but rather the prefer hires at other style restaurants. If you ever notice top end restaurants will generally have Filipino kitchen staff. So think about that when eating at your favorite restaurant. Filipinos with better wealth tend to stick to the health care industry. IE, nursing.

But I agree with you. In general Filipino cuisine is rare to find out there. Which is why I'm personally going to open a joint with Filipino cusine. I haven't quite figured out the overall concept, but it's definitely going to be geared towards tapas style that goes great with beer
    this I believe..
    remember folks we are talking about a pretty poor country, and making high quality food costs money for a product.

Local High School Star Chick Stern's Avatar

There’s no doubt that Filipino food brings the grease

Wow... I know Filipinos like Jollybee, but never did I think to the extent of used Jollybee

NBA Superstar

Went to a new place a couple of weeks ago that's already touted as the best Filipino restaurant in Atlanta. The appetizers and desert were absolutely fantastic but I found the entree to be lacking in flavor compared to some of the other Asian cuisines that I love. Not enough punch.

Everything was well done though so I'll probably be back and try something different.

The desert, which was a couple house-made churros with a sweet taro sauce on it, was absolutely unreal though. I'd go back solely for those.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Jollibee is the most mediocre chicken joint ever

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    this I believe..
    remember folks we are talking about a pretty poor country, and making high quality food costs money for a product.
    lots of poor countries have good food

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    Jollibee is the most mediocre chicken joint ever
    It's way too salty for my taste that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    lots of poor countries have good food
    One can argue the poorest of countries have some of the best of foods. Not surprised a dumbass like Jasper to have a dumb take...