NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default ***Cuban Alert***

Tio what do you think of this scene?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: ***Cuban Alert***

It’s an unrealistic scene cause they’re speaking English. It’s hard to take the movie seriously with the fact that a guy that just came from Cuba is speaking English throughout the entire movie. There are Cubans in Miami right now that have been in this country for 50 years and still can’t speak a lick of English. That always bothered me about this movie. Tony’s mother speaking perfect English….

Yea but what do you think about the message of the scene?

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    I mean, mothers know best. She knew what Tony was back in Cuba. He was in jail back in Cuba. So she knew that the sight of her son flashing money around was not a good sign and that he would have a negative influence on his younger sister and she was right. She had every right to kick him out and to protect her daughter.

Ngl, I skip this scene every time I rewatch the movie

Since we're on the subject, do you guys think Omar was really a stoolie, or was Sosa just bullshitting to leverage his position over Frank?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post

Since we're on the subject, do you guys think Omar was really a stoolie, or was Sosa just bullshitting to leverage his position over Frank?
    The movie leaves both possibilities on the table but I think Omar really was a stoolie.

Omar was a cokehead and seemed like a man of low character, so him being a snitch wouldn't surprise me. On the flip side, even though he was ruthless, Sosa seemed like an honorable business partner. Plus he couldn't know for certain at that moment in time that he could leverage Tony against Frank.

AFTER Omar dies is when Sosa sees what Tony is really made of.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    The movie leaves both possibilities on the table but I think Omar really was a stoolie.

Omar was a cokehead and seemed like a man of low character, so him being a snitch wouldn't surprise me. On the flip side, even though he was ruthless, Sosa seemed like an honorable business partner. Plus he couldn't know for certain at that moment in time that he could leverage Tony against Frank.

AFTER Omar dies is when Sosa sees what Tony is really made of.
    So honorable that he was willing to bomb that dude in the car with his children in it. Tony refused to do it, which basically sealed his fate.

But I agree that Omar was most likely a rat.

Btw, the actress who played Tony's mom was only 4 years older than Pacino.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 03-17-2024 at 11:30 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    So honorable that he was willing to bomb that dude in the car with his children in it. Tony refused to do it, which basically sealed his fate.
    I didn't say he was a good man, I said he was an honorable business partner.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

The message of a mother being disgusted by her drug dealing son?

Scarface isn't that deep of a movie, it's quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post

Why? It's one of the most important scenes in the movie. Tony ended up destroying his sister and best friend and his mom foreshadowed it.

As someone with Cuban heritage, I must say Scarface is one of the more disappointing movies I've seen. I'm disappointed in De Palma and Oliver Stone cause it's not like they didn't have other movies to emulate like the Godfather with their depiction of Italians in the Mafia. But this movie....did they even consult with Cubans for this movie? Probably not. That's why Carlito's Way is so much better and shows like Narcos are so much better than this movie. They're authentic.

Of all the gangster movies, I like this one the least. Outside of all the popular quotes from this movie, I really don't get its appeal. The only authentic Cuban thing in this movie is Manolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    As someone with Cuban heritage, I must say Scarface is one of the more disappointing movies I've seen. I'm disappointed in De Palma and Oliver Stone cause it's not like they didn't have other movies to emulate like the Godfather with their depiction of Italians in the Mafia. But this movie....did they even consult with Cubans for this movie? Probably not. That's why Carlito's Way is so much better and shows like Narcos are so much better than this movie. They're authentic.

Of all the gangster movies, I like this one the least. Outside of all the popular quotes from this movie, I really don't get its appeal. The only authentic Cuban thing in this movie is Manolo.
    In what ways do you think they misrepresented Cubans other than not having more Spanish dialogue?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post

Scarface is on the same tier as Godfather and Goodfellas. Great story, great vibes, great music, plus a GOAT level performance from Pacino.

The fact that Pacino wasn't authentically cuban doesn't take away from the film. Leo doesn't come off as an authentic new yorker in Wolf of Wall street but he still gives an amazing performance.

In what ways do you think they misrepresented Cubans other than not having more Spanish dialogue?
    I haven't seen this movie in years so I don't remember all of it, but for starters, Cubans who came over to Miami in the Mariel boatlift had nothing to do with drugs or with cocaine. The cocaine kingpin in Miami in the 80's was Griselda Blanco, a Colombian. Everyone knows this. So the idea of Cuban drug lord just doesn't really exist in reality. You probably couldn't make a Scarface today with a Cuban tie to it cause I'm sure the Cuban community would object. But back in the early 80's, Cubans were just kind of keeping their heads down for the most part.

So I guess my biggest gripe is that the movie just isn't an authentic representation of Cuban culture in Miami in the 80's cause Cubans weren't dealing with that drug trade nonsense, especially cocaine. It was always the Colombians.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Who's Poopsie kidding?

He's a Mexican.