Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Do NBA players just choose any name they want?

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post
    Most of the “white” entertainers you’re talking about are Jewish. And don’t even get me started on how many times those families have changed their names, sometimes out of necessity during periods of intense persecution, sometimes to hide past family crimes and start over somewhere new, or to “wear a mask” so others get the blame…. Also … Jews don’t consider themselves white, until it’s advantageous to do so.

Example:

Gene Simmons of corny band KISS

Rodney Dangerfield

Sumner Redstone

Brad Garrett
    -Gerstenfeld

Etc
    The J's was robbing people weren't they with their loan sharking and tax collecting huh? Had to dip with the loot when they got found out and change they name to diamondstein.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    White people don't do that. Black people been changing their birth names like Ali and Kareem.

High School Varsity 6th Man meat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    For example, Bam Adebayo's real name is Edrice Adebayo. Trae's first name is Rayford. We all know Magic Johnson. And then them Spanish whose middle name are their actual last name. Like Pau Gasol Saez.

Do they just decide on any name they wanted?
    Is your real name iamgine? what does that even mean? my name is meat. that's pretty clear

Nicknames are not endemic to a single group of people

Back in the early 1900s you had aspiring boxers changing their names to sound Irish, since Irish boxers generally got the best bookings. A young Dino Crocetti changed his name to Dean Martin. The father of his future stage partner Frank Sinatra had similarly used the name 'Marty O'Brien' as a young aspiring prize fighter. Top enforcer for Al Capone, Vincenzo Gibaldi, fought in his youth under the name Battlin' Jack McGurn. Of course when he switched to a career in organized crime he became known as Machine Gun Jack McGurn.

Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney got his name as a boy when his toddler aged sister would refer to him in the family's thick southern drawl as 'Dat Boy' but could only pronounce it as 'Dabo.' One of my close friends as a kid was named James but his father and grandfather were also James, so the family and everyone else called him by a Scottish nickname that went back in the family. He used the name in school, around town, etc. It was how everyone knew him. Most people didnt even realize his actual name was James.

Nicknames are like a common thing everywhere. I honestly wouldnt have guessed anyone would suggest otherwise with a straight face.

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    Is your real name iamgine? what does that even mean? my name is meat. that's pretty clear
    Pretty sure his name is Gine.

He is Gine.

See how that works?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Nicknames are not endemic to a single group of people

Back in the early 1900s you had aspiring boxers changing their names to sound Irish, since Irish boxers generally got the best bookings. A young Dino Crocetti changed his name to Dean Martin. The father of his future stage partner Frank Sinatra had similarly used the name 'Marty O'Brien' as a young aspiring prize fighter. Top enforcer for Al Capone, Vincenzo Gibaldi, fought in his youth under the name Battlin' Jack McGurn. Of course when he switched to a career in organized crime he became known as Machine Gun Jack McGurn.

Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney got his name as a boy when his toddler aged sister would refer to him in the family's thick southern drawl as 'Dat Boy' but could only pronounce it as 'Dabo.' One of my close friends as a kid was named James but his father and grandfather were also James, so the family and everyone else called him by a Scottish nickname that went back in the family. He used the name in school, around town, etc. It was how everyone knew him. Most people didnt even realize his actual name was James.

Nicknames are like a common thing everywhere. I honestly wouldnt have guessed anyone would suggest otherwise with a straight face.
    Now name the NBA players who did it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post
    ^He certainly wasn’t going to stick with Adolph Shayes lol

Somebody find out what these dudes real names are:

Hot Rod Williams (hot plate more like)

Mookie Blaylock

Fat Lever (I think it’s Lafayette)

Dj Strawberry

Popeye Jones

God Shammgod
    (Dude had to change his name when he did the knowledge of self lol) (probably born Rodney Tompkins or something like that)
    Darell Strawberry Jr. I imagine

High School Varsity 6th Man meat's Avatar

This is a pointless thread. Yes, people have nicknames. You can call yourself whatever you want. You can be a woman these days if you want

Now name the NBA players who did it.
    Hondo
    Birdman
    Jimmer

Very good NBA starter

The J's was robbing people weren't they with their loan sharking and tax collecting huh? Had to dip with the loot when they got found out and change they name to diamondstein.
    It's pretty funny how the jews leaned into that though.

The number one prejudice against jews is that they love money too much and then they go choose name like Goldstein, Diamond, Rubenstein etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I imagine So. Most people do. I bet 20% of the people I know don’t go by their actual government first name.
    I guess my musing is more about if the players decide what name is put on NBA's official channels (rosters, website, jerseys, etc).

Like what if Shaq decided he wanted to be named Shaq Diesel in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    It's pretty funny how the jews leaned into that though.

The number one prejudice against jews is that they love money too much and then they go choose name like Goldstein, Diamond, Rubenstein etc.
    Jews were asigned these names so the general public could easily differentiate them from themselves. For every Goldstein there was a Feinstein or Rosenblatt. Has nothing to do with greedy judaism.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    Jews were asigned these names so the general public could easily differentiate them from themselves. For every Goldstein there was a Feinstein or Rosenblatt. Has nothing to do with greedy judaism.
    That guy 90sgoat is a white supremacist who's openly admitted to only cheering for white players lol

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    That guy 90sgoat is a white supremacist who's openly admitted to only cheering for white players lol
    Does he also still cheer for Harden on the Nets? I knew he was stupid, but that explains alot.