Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Where are all the Doc Rivers haters now?

First of all, I am not a Doc Rivers fan, I think he was a bit overrated in the 2010s because of his Celtics ring. However, I didn't like how the media, former players (like Reddick), etc. were trashing him a month ago, saying things like the not-that-good Clippers of the 2010s failures were Doc's fault, instead of admitting their own shortcomings. Where are all those people now? I would like to see the Bucks make the finals, just to shut up all those jerks who ripped Doc.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Where are all the Doc Rivers haters now?

The things Doc Rivers haters use as the primary ammunition don’t happen in the regular season. There’s pretty much nothing he could do in the regular season to change anybody’s opinion of him. Hell he already has a title, so I’m not sure what another one would even do. You could say it proves the first one isn’t a fluke(the fluke argument being generally ridiculous anyway), but his critics are just going to point out all the blown series leads and all.

Perception about him is pretty much settled unless something outrageous happens

Good High School Starter

Well, IIRC people were mocking him in February because of his RS record with the Bucks (after playing lots of tough teams.) Now that he has turned the situtation around they should give him some props for it, I suppose.

Not sure about the "turnaround". They just beat the Sixers without Embiid and the Clippers without Kawhi and PG13, and got blown out by the Kings. They've lost 3 of their last 5 games.

Blowing another 3-2 lead in the playoffs last season wasn't a good look. The only way to change the narrative is success in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Not sure about the "turnaround". They just beat the Sixers without Embiid and the Clippers without Kawhi and PG13, and got blown out by the Kings. They've lost 3 of their last 5 games.

Blowing another 3-2 lead in the playoffs last season wasn't a good look. The only way to change the narrative is success in the playoffs.
    This.

Even ask the resident homer Jasper whether he thinks Doc has overhauled anything about this team and it will be difficult for even him to reach and find anything noteworthy.

He's been extremely "adequate" just like Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by pandiani17 View Post
    Well, IIRC people were mocking him in February because of his RS record with the Bucks (after playing lots of tough teams.) Now that he has turned the situtation around they should give him some props for it, I suppose.
    Did you legitimately expect fans to be on here giving the coach of a title contender props for doing well for a few weeks during the regular season? That’s so out of touch with sports reality it’s honestly insane. This is a league where coaches get fired within 2 years of winning championships.

This is a very weirdly timed thread.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    This.

Even ask the resident homer Jasper whether he thinks Doc has overhauled anything about this team and it will be difficult for even him to reach and find anything noteworthy.

He's been extremely "adequate" just like Griffin.
    To defend him a little bit he's not in a good position to change the team's plays and approach in the middle of the season. That's why when a coach is fired in the season he's normally replaced by an interim guy that was part of his staff. Rivers can call different plays and give a different leadership style but those plays are largely coming out of the same playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    To defend him a little bit he's not in a good position to change the team's plays and approach in the middle of the season. That's why when a coach is fired in the season he's normally replaced by an interim guy that was part of his staff. Rivers can call different plays and give a different leadership style but those plays are largely coming out of the same playbook.
    Can't say I totally agree. He had the all-star break to try to implement a few things. The team has largely performed no better, slightly worse record-wise. Beverly helped with defensive energy some, but that's about it.

Can't say I totally agree. He had the all-star break to try to implement a few things. The team has largely performed no better, slightly worse record-wise. Beverly helped with defensive energy some, but that's about it.
    He was the allstar coach in the the allstar break. And beyond that it's a break, the players are on vacation.

Now I'm not going to defend the lack of improvement and/or decline in wins and losses. I'm not sure he is to blame but he took the job so it's up to him to make it work.

He was the allstar coach in the the allstar break. And beyond that it's a break, the players are on vacation.

Now I'm not going to defend the lack of improvement and/or decline in wins and losses. I'm not sure he is to blame but he took the job so it's up to him to make it work.
    Sounds like you're agreeing that he hasn't done much at all, which was my point to start with.

To fulfill our silly need to judge things that haven't happened yet I will predict he needs the Bucks to do no worse than Game 6 vs Boston to avoid criticism from people like us that really don't judge a coach based on anything more than wins and losses.

Sounds like you're agreeing that he hasn't done much at all, which was my point to start with.
    of course he hadn't done much. He's been there a month. But unlike you I'm also pointing out there isn't much he could have done. He can tweak the defense but changing everything they do without training camp is hard. The huge changes of the team happened before he got there. Shouldn't have fired Budenholzer and then needed better offensive schemes of they're going to take advantage of shifting from holiday to Lillard as well as a scheme that hides Lillaird on defense.

Their defense has improved a lot since he took over. As far as criticism goes though, he'll need to prove it in the POs.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Their defense has improved a lot since he took over. As far as criticism goes though, he'll need to prove it in the POs.
    Offense is also a lot worse though.

of course he hadn't done much. He's been there a month. But unlike you I'm also pointing out there isn't much he could have done. He can tweak the defense but changing everything they do without training camp is hard. The huge changes of the team happened before he got there. Shouldn't have fired Budenholzer and then needed better offensive schemes of they're going to take advantage of shifting from holiday to Lillard as well as a scheme that hides Lillaird on defense.
    Again, I can't say that I totally agree. We've seen many coaches get fired and the team went on a run/ significantly improved. Just in recent years Nets after Nash, Hawks after Pierce, Wolves after Saunders, notoriously the Cavs after Blatt.

Were any of those teams already a top 5 record? Maybe not. My original point is that Doc hasn't done anything even knowing we will only judge him by the playoffs. Just by regular season standards there's not much here. But we already know Doc's reputation as it goes with adjustments anyway.

Not sure what there is to debate about here.