Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: If you had to guess, why will the Celtics not win the championship?

Quote Originally Posted by Nowoco View Post
    Because they're just another 2015 Hawks. Great record, solid starting lineup but no reliable superstar to beat the best teams and no-one really believes they can go all the way, just like that Hawks team. Superstars win championships, not regular season records.
    This is a comically bad comparison. These Celtics are literally tiers better than those Hawks, and would never in a million years get swept by the Cavs with Love missing and Kyrie barely playing.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Marcus Smarts career field goal percentage is 38%. In today's era of hyper efficiency.

Dudes honestly trash. I remember watching the Celtics and dude would be ĵacking the wildest shots trying to play hero. Boston looks a million times better and higher IQ with him gone.

Jrue Holiday provides the same defense and leadership but is way higher IQ. And jrue shoots better 49% on the year.

Marcus Smart is big trash and his name is incredibly ironic.
    This is not fair, Smart hit as many or more big shots for the C’s in the playoffs the last few years as Tatum and Brown, and hes not even supposed to be the one doing it. Relative to expectations, Smart was probably their second most clutch player, after Horford. And Derrick White once he came along.

Find me Tatum and Brown’s “clutch percentage” in the last 5 minutes of close playoff games and Ill bet you it aint any better than Smart’s.

That said, Porzingis clearly balances them better, plus they added Jrue, and Derrick White is a huge piece of the puzzle now, so they are in a better spot. But it’s not because Marcus Smart was “trash.”

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Marcus Smarts career field goal percentage is 38%. In today's era of hyper efficiency.

Dudes honestly trash. I remember watching the Celtics and dude would be ĵacking the wildest shots trying to play hero. Boston looks a million times better and higher IQ with him gone.

Jrue Holiday provides the same defense and leadership but is way higher IQ. And jrue shoots better 49% on the year.

Marcus Smart is big trash and his name is incredibly ironic.
    You are trying so hard to be that "done with the 90's" guy.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    This is not fair, Smart hit as many or more big shots for the C’s in the playoffs the last few years as Tatum and Brown, and hes not even supposed to be the one doing it. Relative to expectations, Smart was probably their second most clutch player, after Horford. And Derrick White once he came along.

Find me Tatum and Brown’s “clutch percentage” in the last 5 minutes of close playoff games and Ill bet you it aint any better than Smart’s.

That said, Porzingis clearly balances them better, plus they added Jrue, and Derrick White is a huge piece of the puzzle now, so they are in a better spot. But it’s not because Marcus Smart was “trash.”
    Marcus Smart is a career 39% shooter in the playoffs.

I've seen you hate a million times on Kobe for his inefficiency when he shot 45% for his career in a slower tougher defensive climate on triple the volume.

Smart was a hero baller on the Celtics but without the offensive talent. Jrue isn't the most efficient in the playoffs either but he looks REALLY good on the Celtics.

And he doesn't jack stupid 3s early in the shot clock like Smart used to.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post

When mentioning Marcus Smart it was more of a mentality thing than box score production that I was thinking about. I saw no more than 10 Celtics games this season and misses on-court leadership. Energy when things don't go your way. Things usually do go their way though because they are too good and balanced to be down for long. Their two losses to the Nuggets could easily have been wins if they had more composure.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

The Celtics got blown out in a Game 7 last year at home in the ECFs by an 8 seed.

And Smart didn't do shit about it. He shot 16% from 3. Whole team shot like ass but Smarts leadership didn't do anything to help. Actually hurt em.

Jrue is honestly better than Marcus.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

The Celtics got blown out in a Game 7 last year at home in the ECFs by an 8 seed.

And Smart didn't do shit about it. He shot 16% from 3. Whole team shot like ass but Smarts leadership didn't do anything to help. Actually hurt em.

Many players were better than Derek Fisher. He was very valuable still. I'm not trying to hype Marcus Smart. I don't really care either way. The question was what the Celtics might be missing and may answer is on-court leadership and too much emphasis on perimeter play when they have a walking mismatch in Porzingis. These are the two things i can think of. That's all. I'm not on a crusade for Marcus Smart.

College superstar

Coach

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckbe View Post
    Live by the 3, Die by the 3
    ditto --

I will add STOP BROWN---- you beat them

I don't see it happening this year. Tatum would need to go up a level IMO. Doesn't mean they can't win it, but they wouldn't be my pick right now.

Serious playground baller Nowoco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nowoco View Post
    Because they're just another 2015 Hawks. Great record, solid starting lineup but no reliable superstar to beat the best teams and no-one really believes they can go all the way, just like that Hawks team. Superstars win championships, not regular season records.

NBA All-star

they lack the hunger of banging their wives right in front of their exes, like some of that 5 times a night stuff, with the motor of a vibrator.

College superstar

Doesn't look like the celtics can make a lot of significant in-game adjustments. This team is not winning the championship anytime soon.

Summarizing the Heat as an 8th seed is a little disingenous, not just cause they were the 7th best team in the East.

No ones saying Jrue isnt better, why do you say "honestly" like that isnt the consensus? lol.

Youre going back to weird base settings takes after your stuff got rebuked.