Default Western Conference Final Standings Prediction

I think most teams don't care about seeding that much but rather health heading into the playoffs.

Here is my prediction for the end of the regular season (before play-in).

1. Thunder
    2. Nuggets
    3. Wolves
    4. Clippers
    5. Kings
    6. Suns
    7. Pelicans
    8. Lakers
    9. Mavericks
    10. Warriors

Nuggets start resting the last few games so although they could get #1 I don't think they care. The young OKC team gets it.

With injury to KAT and high likelihood of resting guys, I don't see the Wolves ending up top 2.

Clippers have a ton of injuries and a bold prediction would have them plummet to like #7 but I still think they win some games. They have an easy schedule. Still, if one team could fall way down, it's them. Kawhi back spasms, Harden on the injured report, Westbrook out for a while doesn't look good and their form is already slipping even when healthy in recent weeks. This team went from a solid contender a month ago to a firm non-contender for me.

Pelicans and Suns both have tough schedules to end the season but Suns face more top seeds with nothing to play for. Either way, I think the Kings leapfrog both.

Mavs and Warriors both have their star men, Doncic and Curry, respectively, suffering from injuries and likely to rest a bunch of games. Lakers are the healthiest of the play-in teams and likely to get #8. They are also the team that nobody wants to see in the first round.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Western Conference Final Standings Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Lakers are the healthiest of the play-in teams and likely to get #8. They are also the team that nobody wants to see in the first round.
    Denver isn't scared of them at all. OKC may give them a chance but the Lakers have been defending poorly. They hover around .500 for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Denver isn't scared of them at all. OKC may give them a chance but the Lakers have been defending poorly. They hover around .500 for a reason.
    Defense isn't the issue really, it's the offense and the lack of 3-Point shooting. Dlo has been giving them a nice boost on that front but they're not consistent enough. Denver can outscore them with ease. Phoenix or Dallas would be a much worse match-up for them IMO.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Windhorst was talking about how their defense is 29th over some recent stretch of games. The only great defender they have is Davis and certain matchups given even him trouble. They will need to be great to upset one of the conference's to two seeds and in fact will need to play better than they have just to win 7th or 8th in the play-in. A 50 point game from Steph Curry could end them.

I'm wondering if that's just raw ppg or DRTG. I'm guessing ppg because they're top 5 in pace and are ranked 23rd in points allowed overall, but have a mediocre DRTG (16th). Just overall tho the offense is the biggest problem for them this season.

Lakers are one of the worst teams (28th) in terms of Opponent 3PT%, I'm not sure if that's because they're actually that bad at contesting 3s or if it's just bad luck. They haven't been close to as bad at defending 3s in any of the other Lebron seasons. I don't think they have a chance of making a deep run when they shoot the least amount of 3s while also giving up 3s on the other end.

Gabe Vincent is set to return soon so maybe that will help them out on the defensive side, and Vanderbilt should be able to return by the end of the RS as well from what I'm hearing. With the league allowing more physical play post-ASB those guys could help them out enough for them to at least get into the POs.

Altho Denver wont be worried if they dont secure home court, I think they will play for it just because of the slight advantage they get from the altitude and hometown crowd. Until either they or someone else clinches, I think they're gonna stick with their normal lineup. And since theyve been surging since activating 'playoff mode' post allstar break, I expect they will finish first.

OKC continues to be solid and steady, I think they'll keep the second spot. I feel like between them and Minny, even before the KAT injury, OKC was the team more likely to sustain their winning ways.

That said, the 3 game gap between Minny and LAC is enough for Sota to hang onto third I reckon. Especially since if anyone is gonna start resting players it'll be the Clippers. In fact it wouldnt surprise me if the Pelle Pels overtake them for fourth.

Theres enough of a gap after that for the Clippers to hang onto fifth, and I expect if Phoenix stays healthy the rest of the season theyll get the sixth spot, with Dallas, Sacramento, LAL, and GS headed to the play in. I think the winner of DAL-SAC comes down to home court advantage, and I expect the loser to also benefit from home court in the second game and secure the last playoff spot. So I think it'll be Dallas and Sac that advance, assuming they finish in the 7 and 8 spot.

So basically:

Denver - Sacramento
    OKC - Dallas
    Minnesota - Phoenix
    New Orleans - LAC

is my prediction.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 03-14-2024 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    I'm wondering if that's just raw ppg or DRTG. I'm guessing ppg because they're top 5 in pace and are ranked 23rd in points allowed overall, but have a mediocre DRTG (16th). Just overall tho the offense is the biggest problem for them this season.

Lakers are one of the worst teams (28th) in terms of Opponent 3PT%, I'm not sure if that's because they're actually that bad at contesting 3s or if it's just bad luck. They haven't been close to as bad at defending 3s in any of the other Lebron seasons. I don't think they have a chance of making a deep run when they shoot the least amount of 3s while also giving up 3s on the other end.

Gabe Vincent is set to return soon so maybe that will help them out on the defensive side, and Vanderbilt should be able to return by the end of the RS as well from what I'm hearing. With the league allowing more physical play post-ASB those guys could help them out enough for them to at least get into the POs.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    What else is he good for, if not defense?

Team form last 10 games:

Lakers, Clippers and Mavs strong on offense but damn their defense looks bad recently!