Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Anyone on this site a vegan?

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Tell that to the people of Hong Kong, who have the highest life expectancy on Earth, and eat more meat per capital than any country, including huge amounts of beef and pork.

The reality is that there are a ton of factors when in comes to longevity and health. Saying not eating beef or pork would take care of an imaginary life expectancy gap is a preposterous statement.
    The Blue Zones have the highest life expectancy on Earth

https://www.verywellhealth.com/blue-...-foods-4159314
    The diet is mostly plant-based. The daily food intake of people living in Blue Zones is about 95% vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. They do not eat much meat, dairy, sugary foods or drinks, and processed food.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Exactly what I was going to point out. Meat eaters tend to have very different dietary profiles across the board than vegetarians. Reducing any life expectancy discrepancy down to meat without controlling for it in the studies is not good science.

That said, every person has a slightly different optimal diet for their own body, just like everyone has different finger prints. This is how, in primal conditions, species diverge. Some primitive early mammal exists and some individuals prefer vegetation, they gradually evolve into hippos and gazelle and whatever, others prefer meat and evolve toward bears and cats and so on, eventually consuming exclusively their certain diet. Humans on the whole are omnivorous of course, but many individual persons will feel and be healthier leaning toward one direction or the other.

You really have to listen to your own body and observe what kind of diet makes you feel your best week in and week out. If you feel good not just when you eat it, but afterward as well, then it's almost certainly healthy for you regardless of what 'studies say.'
    Yea this is true. I know keto is healthy but I'd always feel weak and unsatisfied with no potatoes or rice with the meal. My genetics might code for those things. Going all carb and fake food vegan would be disastrous though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates View Post

The diet is mostly plant-based. The daily food intake of people living in Blue Zones is about 95% vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. They do not eat much meat, dairy, sugary foods or drinks, and processed food.
    That 95% figure is definitely bullshit. Mediterrean cuisine has plenty of meat involved. But it's high quality and bathed in fresh olive oil.

There's also more to life expectancy than food. Some of those cultures a re rich with social contact and communication and live in great climates year round. It doesn't all boil down to just food.

Decent playground baller

Hong Kong probably has a high life expectancy for the same reasons that California and New York do in the US. The cost of living is extremely high which means the population is mostly well off, high earners. And those are the type of people with great healthcare and doctors. As opposed to Alabama, Mississippi, etc who have low earners, no healthcare.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    That 95% figure is definitely bullshit. Mediterrean cuisine has plenty of meat involved. But it's high quality and bathed in fresh olive oil.

There's also more to life expectancy than food. Some of those cultures a re rich with social contact and communication and live in great climates year round. It doesn't all boil down to just food.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Yawn.

https://www.thrivenutritionmn.com/bl...es-plant-based

Longevity is much more complicated than "avoid pork and beef!"

You were duped by dubious studies and manipulated by pro-vegan advocates trying to make a buck.

Decent playground baller

The pork and beef statement was my own hunch. But yes it is mostly due to the irrefutable link between red meat and heart disease.

Listen, I eat red meat, like I have said multiple times in here. I don't have a "side" in this. You can believe what you want. But if you think it's all "dubious studies" or a hoax by pro-vegan advocates, I think you are telling yourself lies so that you can eat what you like. Also saying and doing are two different things. We can both say what we believe to be healthy in here while eating a Big Mac and Soda.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Exactly what I was going to point out. Meat eaters tend to have very different dietary profiles across the board than vegetarians. Reducing any life expectancy discrepancy down to meat without controlling for it in the studies is not good science.

That said, every person has a slightly different optimal diet for their own body, just like everyone has different finger prints. This is how, in primal conditions, species diverge. Some primitive early mammal exists and some individuals prefer vegetation, they gradually evolve into hippos and gazelle and whatever, others prefer meat and evolve toward bears and cats and so on, eventually consuming exclusively their certain diet. Humans on the whole are omnivorous of course, but many individual persons will feel and be healthier leaning toward one direction or the other.

You really have to listen to your own body and observe what kind of diet makes you feel your best week in and week out. If you feel good not just when you eat it, but afterward as well, then it's almost certainly healthy for you regardless of what 'studies say.'
    I do largely agree with you here, but also just something to note. When someone drastically changes their diet for whatever reason, maybe from a high carb diet to low carb, there will be a period of time where you don't feel good. Maybe even for weeks at a time, as your body adjusts to using a different fuel source for energy and an altered microbiome.

If you take a random fat slob who lives off fast food and processed junk, and he immediately shifts to eating whole foods and much lower carbs, that guy is gonna feel like shit for quite a while.

Personally I felt weaker and low energy for a couple months when I cut out carbs initially. Felt weak in the gym libido was lower etc. It wasn't until about 2.5 months in until I started to feel better than I ever had, day in and day out, without cravings and general feelings of being unsatisfied.

Most people in my situation just quit before giving it a real shot and go back to their old diets, thinking it must be healthier because they felt better on it.

But yes, some people will ultimately do better with more meat, more veggies, whatever it is, based on their own unique makeup. But generally most people will be healthier if they limit carbs and incorporate fasting protocols. Insulin resistance is a real killer and leads to all sorts of ailments.

Yea and this guy lived til 112 years old smoking 10 cigars a day, drinking coffee and whiskey, and eating fish, corn, and Campbell's processed soup.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Yea and this guy lived til 112 years old smoking 10 cigars a day, drinking coffee and whiskey, and eating fish, corn, and Campbell's processed soup.

This is one man. That isn't telling of anything. Also coffee is linked to longevity. Maybe that is what did it for him lol.

The pork and beef statement was my own hunch. But yes it is mostly due to the irrefutable link between red meat and heart disease.

Listen, I eat red meat, like I have said multiple times in here. I don't have a "side" in this. You can believe what you want. But if you think it's all "dubious studies" or a hoax by pro-vegan advocates, I think you are telling yourself lies so that you can eat what you like. Also saying and doing are two different things. We can both say what we believe to be healthy in here while eating a Big Mac and Soda.
    I'm just giving you alternative view points. You need to check sources and question whether you need to actually make drastic changes.

I dont overdo it on red meat either, but I also don't think eating red meat regularly is linked to heart disease based on everything I've read. It's one of those tropes that have been around so long that people just blindly take it as fact. I think the other contributing factors and dietary choices are much more to blame for heart disease and cancer than red meat. Processed foods, refined carbs, sodas, vegetable oils which all lead to insulin resistance, and systemic inflammation. Not to mention a sedentary life

If you're worried about meat like it's the boogeyman I don't think you truly have a grasp on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    I do largely agree with you here, but also just something to note. When someone drastically changes their diet for whatever reason, maybe from a high carb diet to low carb, there will be a period of time where you don't feel good. Maybe even for weeks at a time, as your body adjusts to using a different fuel source for energy and an altered microbiome.

If you take a random fat slob who lives off fast food and processed junk, and he immediately shifts to eating whole foods and much lower carbs, that guy is gonna feel like shit for quite a while.

Personally I felt weaker and low energy for a couple months when I cut out carbs initially. Felt weak in the gym libido was lower etc. It wasn't until about 2.5 months in until I started to feel better than I ever had, day in and day out, without cravings and general feelings of being unsatisfied.

Most people in my situation just quit before giving it a real shot and go back to their old diets, thinking it must be healthier because they felt better on it.

But yes, some people will ultimately do better with more meat, more veggies, whatever it is, based on their own unique makeup. But generally most people will be healthier if they limit carbs and incorporate fasting protocols. Insulin resistance is a real killer and leads to all sorts of ailments.
    Definitely true, I just meant that if youre eating for instance a lot big macs and candy bars and not much fiber, you probably wont be feeling ‘great’ to begin with. So you can probably feel you need a change. People get hooked on that stuff for the taste, not because it really makes them feel healthy. But I agree that changing your diet radically is similar in many ways to drug withdrawal. You may well feel worse for a while (I did, and Im still working thru it) if you switch cold turkey, but you probably didnt feel super healthy in the first place as an addict.

But in terms of very specific levels of meat, and sugar and so forth, I think it varies by person exactly how much is gonna have anyone feeling their best. Its def not a one size fits all.

College superstar

I’ve said it a million times on this site that if you eat animal products it should be raw.

Raw unadulterated animal fat and protein are probably the most healing things one could consume. Once you cook or god forbid over cook meat and animal fat it becomes toxic.

I’ve said it on here for 10 plus years, and no one ever tries it for themselves. Lol. Good thing there are tons of other online personalities on different platforms that have come along endorsing a raw animal diet. It’s catching on.

Local High School Star Back In Shape's Avatar

People who eat a high fat, high protein diet need to be more active than people who who eat more of a plant based diet pure and simple. High fat and high protein diets mixed with a sedentary lifestyle is a horrible combo. At the same time our gut and brain are designed to eat both. Particularly those of northern Asian and European descent. It's a high meat diet that built our big brains and it is essential that northern Asians and Europeans incorporate some meat into our diets for good brain activity and mental health because that's what mother nature designed it around. We can't just turn on a dime with mother nature, she requires time for our bodies to adapt to change. But if you are not active, then being vegetarian is probably the best of 2 bad options.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Shape View Post
    People who eat a high fat, high protein diet need to be more active than people who who eat more of a plant based diet pure and simple. High fat and high protein diets mixed with a sedentary lifestyle is a horrible combo. At the same time our gut and brain are designed to eat both. Particularly those of northern Asian and European descent. It's a high meat diet that built our big brains and it is essential that northern Asians and Europeans incorporate some meat into our diets for good brain activity and mental health because that's what mother nature designed it around. We can't just turn on a dime with mother nature, she requires time for our bodies to adapt to change. But if you are not active, then being vegetarian is probably the best of 2 bad options.
    Yea agreed. You gotta do what your ancestry dictates. I've seen rastfarians looking super healthy eating mostly fruit and coconuts and stuff. For a white person who grew up in areas where there were no tropical fruits it's not ideal. We need high quality sources of meat.