Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Domantas Sabonis

This guy needs a thread.

He's getting better year after year and he's now honestly a borderline superstar.

Plays well in the post, shoots really well from outside (though doesn't take many), best rebounder in the league, great passer for a big man and this season an improved defender. He's basically a worse version of Jokic but still really good.

If I have to make a top 10 list for this season, I would actually consider him. And I kind of consider the Kings a sleeper team but that's another topic.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Domantas Sabonis

I agree, he's been great. It was Fox who jumped out of the gates in the first quarter of the season, but since then it's been all Sabonis. Domantas' box numbers are off the charts but his play-by-play data is a little underwhelming. Perhaps some form of lineups, rotations, and coaching scheme helps explain this?

Still, those one-number metrics grade him out well enough.

Aside from offensive IQ, I think his biggest strength is his determination to be honest. Always hustling around the floor. He's obviously not the most athletic guy but is strong (and obviously juicing) and gets quite a bit done on the floor. Sac has been perfect for him. Also, he absolutely owns AD's soul at this point. I was going to make exception and write how AD is the better player but when he gets constantly outplayed by him I dunno how to feel about that comparison anymore.

Top 10 is a stretch but you could make the argument I guess.

Ad's biggest kryptonite. Btw, is it true that dom's father used to be an all-star bt?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Ad's biggest kryptonite. Btw, is it true that dom's father used to be an all-star bt?
    one of my favorites ever. You wouldn't have liked him. He didn't score enough

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Aside from offensive IQ, I think his biggest strength is his determination to be honest. Always hustling around the floor. He's obviously not the most athletic guy but is strong (and obviously juicing) and gets quite a bit done on the floor. Sac has been perfect for him. Also, he absolutely owns AD's soul at this point. I was going to make exception and write how AD is the better player but when he gets constantly outplayed by him I dunno how to feel about that comparison anymore.

Top 10 is a stretch but you could make the argument I guess.
    He looks like he's playing a playoff game every time

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

I made a thread about him a few weeks ago when I said that he was at worst a top15 player in the league but I have him in my top 10. There were a few arguments there so I'll bump it maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    one of my favorites ever. You wouldn't have liked him. He didn't score enough
    Before his knee injuries some were calling him the best big man in the world in the 80's.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    Before his knee injuries some were calling him the best big man in the world in the 80's.
    Can't say I was that impressed by him in the olympics and world championships I'd seen before he joined the NBA but he was certainly a special player. Too bad he wasn't able to come over sooner

I have Sabonis ranked 11-14 with Curry, Kawhi and Haliburton.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    I have Sabonis ranked 11-14 with Curry, Kawhi and Haliburton.
    Curry wiped the floor with All Star Sabonis in the playoffs last year.

Thing that surprised me was he's a euro that you can sag off and dare him to shoot apparently. Or at least that's what Golden State did to lock him up. Never seen that before from a euro.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post

Thing that surprised me was he's a euro that you can sag off and dare him to shoot apparently. Or at least that's what Golden State did to lock him up. Never seen that before from a euro.
    We talking about this year regular season

I rule the local playground

Giannis???

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post
    Giannis???
    Giannis isnt a euro genetically.

He was just over eager about his first playoff series and the nerves got to him. Sabonis is like a guy on a constant natural coffee jolt. In the playoffs he was clearly wound a bit too tight and just missed a lot of shots he normally makes due to nerves. As long as he settles down, teams shouldnt be able to get away with that again this postseason. He's not actually a bad shooter.