Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Laker Free Throw Differential

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    I'm not trying to troll, but if their free throw differential is the highest wouldn't that INHERENTLY mean that they are fouling much less than their opponents? You've restated the OPs entire point by rephrasing it with new words, yet you're framing it as a reason.

To make an analogy:
    OP: Team X has the highest point differential in the league
    You: That's because typically opponents score less than them.
    No, it can also mean other things such as the refs colluding to not call fouls.

Lakers just don't foul. Pretty simple if you watch games.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post
    New Orleans takes 2 more threes per game (ranked 23rd), their opponents take one more three per game than the Laker’s opponents. So on your theory, they should be pretty comparable, right? After all “it adds up.”

Lakers have had 366 more FTAs than their opponents, which is 50% higher than the next ranked team. Meanwhile, the Pelicans have 122 more FTA’s than their opponents, which is 1/3rd of what the Lakers have. So the Lakers get an extra four FTAs per game in differential over the Pelicans because they shoot 2 fewer threes??? (Even though their opponents take one more three per game.). Try again.
    2 FGA could = 4 extra FTs in theory sure. Also, take into account the defensive side of the ball when talking about shooting more FTA than their opponent because most players will not want to go at AD, and even if they do, AD is great at contesting shots without fouling.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    2 FGA could = 4 extra FTs in theory sure. Also, take into account the defensive side of the ball when talking about shooting more FTA than their opponent because most players will not want to go at AD, and even if they do, AD is great at contesting shots without fouling.
    If ADs deterrent effect on D was the reason, then you might think the differential would decrease when AD sits out. This year, he’s missed only 4 games. In those games, the Lakers are plus, 5, 9, 7, and 19 FTAs. That’s 10 per game, which is 4 more per game than their average differential. Try again?

In the last seven games, they have had the following differentials, all plus: 10, 3, 5, 11, 27!!, 15, 16.

League average for FTAs since the all-star break has been 16.9. In their current win streak, the Lakers are averaging 32.6 free throws per game. In the last four games, the free throw differential has been wider than the Lakers margin of victory.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

In their current win streak, the Lakers are averaging 32.6 free throws per game. In the last four games, the free throw differential has been wider than the Lakers margin of victory.
    That's actually insane and indefensible.

We been telling people most sports are WWE. Except maybe Hockey or Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    That's actually insane and indefensible.

We been telling people most sports are WWE. Except maybe Hockey or Baseball.
    It’s thoroughly defensible. Right after the all-star break, the Lakers were getting 8-10 FTAs like everyone else. And they were losing. It looked like they might not even get into the play-in. I guess during that time, they started jacking up a lot of threes and stopped scoring in the paint?

Anyway, for their current streak, they seem to have gotten their mojo back and their getting their customary differential since, as LeBron puts it, “they foul, and we don’t.” The question is whether this streak will move them up into a more comfortable position. We know what will be best for ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post
    In the last seven games, they have had the following differentials, all plus: 10, 3, 5, 11, 27!!, 15, 16.

League average for FTAs since the all-star break has been 16.9. In their current win streak, the Lakers are averaging 32.6 free throws per game. In the last four games, the free throw differential has been wider than the Lakers margin of victory.
    It's clear to me you are just looking at the numbers without actually watching the games.

MYTH BUSTED:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...acy_that_isnt/

Had to repost, messed up the spelling in the title.

Anyway. This "the league is rigging things for the Lakers" conspiracy has always been goofy, but here's some good stats on the issue.

"Beyond a pernicious plot, moreover, there is ample reason to believe this Lakers team should draw many more fouls than it commits. On offense, the Lakers rank 29th in 3-point attempt rate, per CtG, and are tied for second in the rate of shots they attempt at the rim. (The team with the highest at-rim frequency is Orlando, which leads the league in free throw rate.) In other words, L.A. takes a larger proportion of its shots in the area most likely to draw foul calls.

And on defense, the opposite is true: The Lakers allow the fourth-lowest frequency of shots at the rim and the fifth-highest frequency of 3-pointers, meaning they funnel opposing teams into the sorts of shots that don’t draw fouls. Teams with similar defensive shot charts include the Celtics, who rank second in lowest opponent free throw rate, and the Heat, who rank fourth.

Put another way, the Lakers have taken 435 more free throws than their opponents this season—but they’ve taken 513 fewer 3-pointers (ahead of only the Bulls’ minus-535 margin). Given that not even 1 percent of 3-point attempts produce foul calls, that’s a gigantic number of extra shots on which the Lakers can draw contact."

But what about the size of the disparity? That is addressed as well.

"The free throw disparity kings of the 21st century are the 2017-18 Charlotte Hornets, who went 36-46 despite attempting a whopping 722 more free throws than their opponents. It’s hard to imagine that the league office concocted a conspiracy to help those Hornets, whose leading free throw takers were Kemba Walker, Dwight Howard, Jeremy Lamb, Frank Kaminsky, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Clearly, there’s more to a large free throw disparity than player reputation or the whims of referees.

On a percentage basis, those Hornets attempted 48 percent more free throws than their opponents. For comparison, the 2022-23 Lakers were at plus-28 percent (which ranks 15th this century), and the 2023-24 Lakers are at plus-34 percent (which ranks ninth this century) with 10 games to go."

But no. The league is rigging things for the 9th seeded Lakers. Clearly

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    It's clear to me you are just looking at the numbers without actually watching the games.
    In this thread, for the most part, all I’ve done is present stats and comparative stats.

I have watched the games, but I don’t trust my eye test. I’ve hated the Lakers for too long to be a fair judge just with my eyes. The explanations people give, however, simply don’t withstand scrutiny. The Nuggets, for example shoot as few threes as the Lakers and score almost as much in the paint. But they rank near the bottom in FTAs while the Lakers are near the top. And if you want to do the eye test, look at the scratches on Jokers arms and compare that to anyone on the Lakers (Steph is the only one I see with similar scratches.)