Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cheapened records: Good, bad, or indifferent?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    Something 'extraordinary' needs to happen every other day to keep up with the rest of the world outside basketball where 'extraordinary events' are all over the place. It's just an endless cry for attention and not basketball related. We live in a 'culture' that tries really hard to believe in 'progress' and that we are living in the best of times, the 'most interesting' ever. In reality it's just very competitive for every 15 seconds of attention.

After a while you become indifferent to all these 'records'.
    100% on point.

It’s all, as some of my coworkers say “fake and g@y”

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Justin Garcia: Damian Lillard has matched his career high with 16 assists today and becomes the first player in @Bucks history to finish with 30 or more points and 15 or more assists in the same game
    – via Twitter tmjgarcia

StatMuse: Duncan Robinson today: 30 PTS 5 AST 7 3PM 13th game with 7+ 3PM. The only player in team history to do it over 5 times. statmuse.com/nba/player/dun…
    – via Twitter statmuse

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I had originally meant to refer to a tactic like Ricky Davis shooting at his own basket for a triple-double when I say"cheapened," I don't fault the players for the era they play in but seeing a we've gone down that road, Sam Hauser just set the record for fewest minutes needed to hit 10 threes in an NBA game.

Andrew Lopez: Spurs defeat the Nets in OT, 122-115. Victor Wembanyama finished with 33 points, 16 rebounds, 7 assists and 7 blocks. Only other players with 30-15-7a-7b in a game since 73-74: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (3x) Joel Embiid Charles Barkley
    – via Twitter _Andrew_Lopez

Jorge Sierra: Most points+rebounds+assists+blocks+steals per minute in NBA history: 1. Joel Embiid: 1.415 per minute 2. Victor Wembanyama: 1.358 3. Luka Doncic: 1.354 4. Nikola Jokic: 1.295 5. Wilt Chamberlain: 1.253 6. Giannis Antetokounmpo: 1.230 Just an FYI.
    – via Twitter *********

Jorge Sierra: Wilt would be No. 1 in all likelihood had the NBA kept track of blocks and steals back then. In case you’re wondering, MJ is No. 10 and LeBron James No. 11.
    – via Twitter *********

After Lakers point guard D’Angelo Russell made history in Monday’s 136-105 win over the Atlanta Hawks by tying Nick Van Exel’s franchise record for 3s in a season with 183, coach Darvin Ham granted him any shooter’s dream endorsement. “He has a green room,” Ham said of Russell. “Not a green light. A green room.” Russell went 6-for-10 from beyond the 3-point line against the Hawks, finishing with 27 points and 10 assists as L.A. romped, shooting 57.8% as a team and 41.7% from beyond the arc. “I mean, I just appreciate him trusting me to that extent,” Russell said of Ham. “Definitely try to feel like I earned something like that and it wasn’t given. So, to know that that’s something I put the work in to do and put the work and continue to do, it seems normal for me, humbly.”
    – via ESPN

In the Kings win over the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday, Sabonis recorded his 50th consecutive double-double. In that stretch, he's had 49 points-rebounds double-doubles and one points-assists double-double. For the run, Sabonis has averaged 20.6 points, 14.3 rebounds and 8.8 assists.

Only eight other players have hit the 50-game mark for consecutive double-doubles: Elgin Baylor, Walt Bellamy, Wilt Chamberlain, Elvin Hayes, Kevin Love, Jerry Lucas, Moses Malone and Bill Russell. Chamberlain holds the record with 227 consecutive double-doubles. Chamberlain also had runs of 220 and 133 consecutive games with a double-double.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    Something 'extraordinary' needs to happen every other day to keep up with the rest of the world outside basketball where 'extraordinary events' are all over the place. It's just an endless cry for attention and not basketball related. We live in a 'culture' that tries really hard to believe in 'progress' and that we are living in the best of times, the 'most interesting' ever. In reality it's just very competitive for every 15 seconds of attention.

After a while you become indifferent to all these 'records'.
    The 60s needed to make it more difficult for people like Wilt to make to score because he was making all the guards look ridiculous.

Every single person that learns to dribble today looks ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    I had originally meant to refer to a tactic like Ricky Davis shooting at his own basket for a triple-double when I say"cheapened," I don't fault the players for the era they play in but seeing a we've gone down that road, Sam Hauser just set the record for fewest minutes needed to hit 10 threes in an NBA game.

Hello did I read Ricky Davis?

Do you remember that I Ricky Davis was also flagrantly fouled after doing so and nobody cared about that they only cared about the Ricky Davis shooting at his own when was 1.3 seconds to go

Much better today was the in-season tournament when the Celtics tried to run up the score by over 30 points now while the other team had their third the bench in that was certainly more sportsmanlike

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX View Post
    Hello did I read Ricky Davis?

Do you remember that I Ricky Davis was also flagrantly fouled after doing so and nobody cared about that they only cared about the Ricky Davis shooting at his own when was 1.3 seconds to go

Much better today was the in-season tournament when the Celtics tried to run up the score by over 30 points now while the other team had their third the bench in that was certainly more sportsmanlike
    To clarify: In the OP I'm not talking about scoring getting easier or anything about eras. I liked Davis but the triple-double attempt was cheap. He shot at his own basket. The incident that sparked this topic was SGA giving a foul in a decided game so that he could get another shot and score 30 to break a Thunder record that no one knew about until he broke it. It was cheap. The Celtics running up the score in the tournament was lame on the surface but the creators of the tournament made scoring margin an important factor so the Celtics were doing it to advance in the IST. The rules should be changed but Mazzulla had a valid reason it wasn't just a cheap record.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    To clarify: In the OP I'm not talking about scoring getting easier or anything about eras. I liked Davis but the triple-double attempt was cheap. He shot at his own basket. The incident that sparked this topic was SGA giving a foul in a decided game so that he could get another shot and score 30 to break a Thunder record that no one knew about until he broke it. It was cheap. The Celtics running up the score in the tournament was lame on the surface but the creators of the tournament made scoring margin an important factor so the Celtics were doing it to advance in the IST. The rules should be changed but Mazzulla had a valid reason it wasn't just a cheap record.
    The Bum staying on the floor in a blowout to get a triple double

Justin Kubatko: Zion Williamson last night: ✅ 28 PTS ✅ 7 REB ✅ 11-16 FG ✅ 6-6 FT Williamson has scored at least 25 points on 60% shooting from the field in five straight games, the longest such streak in @PelicansNBA history. Please read, share, and subscribe: statitudes.com/p/nba-game-not… pic.twitter.com/4QKqhAVlbh
    – via Twitter jkubatko

Ball Don’t Lie: Domantas Sabonis tonight vs. Raptors 👑 13 points 👑 17 rebounds His 51st straight double-double, tying Moses Malone 👀 pic.twitter.com/g9HjOVPCEB
    – via Twitter Balldontlie