Default Isiah Thomas was the only PG who won 2 while leading his team in scoring and assist

Why isn't he higher in the all time list? Some people even put him below (or equal) to PGs who never won or won less like CP3, Oscar, West, Nash, Payton or Stockton.

National High School Star

Default Re: Isiah Thomas was the only PG who won 2 while leading his team in scoring and assi

Because it was less than 20PPG, he was washed up at 31, his bench was better than teams that have made the finals...I think their is a better arguement that Isiah is overrated and given credit for the Pistons. But if you want to go one by one...

John Stockton - elevated his teammates, was an iron man for 19 seasons in the league
    Oscar - Terrible team that Oscar willed and carried as much as he could a legit five tool player
    West - I consider Jerry to be a SG...I think Jerry made a playoff run every year
    Nash - Isiah is better than Nash...but that's mostly because Nash was overrated and the media had a number of grudges against the top guys
    CP3 - Longevity played with much weaker teams and did more with them
    Payton - I think he was more of a guy who fit different systems better, I have Isiah over him.

For me...Isiah is on the same level with Jason Kidd, Walt Frazier, Chris Paul, and Tiny Archibald

National High School Star

Default Re: Isiah Thomas was the only PG who won 2 while leading his team in scoring and assi

Because it was less than 20PPG, he was washed up at 31, his bench was better than teams that have made the finals...I think their is a better arguement that Isiah is overrated and given credit for the Pistons. But if you want to go one by one...

John Stockton - elevated his teammates, was an iron man for 19 seasons in the league
    Oscar - Terrible team that Oscar willed and carried as much as he could a legit five tool player
    West - I consider Jerry to be a SG...I think Jerry made a playoff run every year
    Nash - Isiah is better than Nash...but that's mostly because Nash was overrated and the media had a number of grudges against the top guys
    CP3 - Longevity played with much weaker teams and did more with them
    Payton - I think he was more of a guy who fit different systems better, I have Isiah over him.

For me...Isiah is on the same level with Jason Kidd, Walt Frazier, Chris Paul, and Tiny Archibald

John has it right. In addition to scoring less than 20 ppg during their title runs his efficiency sucked. Those Pistons teams were stacked.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

We DONE with the 80s. Look at Isiah Zesty Thomas doing that move for nothing than he's going to pass it to Vinnie microwave Johnson who travels and gets beat. GARBAGE. Watch Isiah Thomas just travel. All they did in the 80s was shoot bricks, smoke dope, and kiss Magic Johnson. ZESTY.

That sums him up.

Curry, Nash, and Kidd >>>.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

He was a 21/14/5 player at one point. 16 assists a game for a month. If he’d kept that up and kept losing he’d be empty stats. Call a bunch of post ups and slow the games down(relatively speaking) and choose your spots while winning…people want the numbers. I don’t know where he would be on the list if they stayed playing that mid 80s style. He would probably be less happy with it though.

He's better than his stats suggests. It's crazy once he started winning, his All-NBA Teams went away. Was literally losing spots to Dale Ellis and Fat Lever.

Good High School Starter

Who rates him equal or below Steve Nash, CP3, Gary Payton or Jason Kidd?

IMO, he is above them. He won the titles while being the leader of the team. The only reason his stats and individual accolades went down is because he started to share the rock with better teammates, if his teammates continued to be scrubs instead of former all-stars he would ball-hog his way into great stats, like GP, CP3, etc. did.

Isaiah Thomas was the only GM that completely destroyed (for a decade plus) every single team dumb enough to hire him.

Also destroyed the CBA, and then didn’t even take the “save face buy out” stern offered him, only to declare bankruptcy just a few years later.

Son traded McGrady for like Jamal McGlore on some stupidest trades of all time type sh!t.

Most retarded executive in basketball history. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pandiani17 View Post

IMO, he is above them. He won the titles while being the leader of the team. The only reason his stats and individual accolades went down is because he started to share the rock with better teammates, if his teammates continued to be scrubs instead of former all-stars he would ball-hog his way into great stats, like GP, CP3, etc. did.

Soooo....when Detroit became contenders he was missing shots on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by pandiani17 View Post

I mean, some see him like Chauncey Billups. I don't know if Billups would be ranked above some of those names even if he won 2 rings.

College superstar

There are 2 names why Isiah gets overlooked.

Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson.

Jordan’s corporate machine ain’t giving props. And Magic Johnson is the flashy point guard personality from that era who hogs all the attention.

Those Detroit teams are similar to San Antonio of the 2000’s. The style of play wasn’t as fan popular as other teams and the stars are less marketable. Tons of dudes talked about over Duncan causing him to fly under the radar along with Parker and Ginobli too.