Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What do you think about Reed Sheppard?

The Ringer just listed him as number one in its updated Mock Draft. A little controversial based on how people have responded.

If you don't know who he is, he's a 6'3" (more like 6'2") guard for Kentucky. Reed is a lights-out shooter, a strong playmaker, and surprisingly athletic and effective on defense. Basketball IQ is through the roof. His major shortcoming is his lack of size/length and explosiveness. Although I think the latter is overstated.

Do you like him as a prospect? Do you think San Antonio should pick him? Some more realistic player comparisons I've heard include Kirk Hinrich with an elite jump shot and late-career Mike Conley. Supposedly, there are even those in NBA front offices who have compared him to Nash.

The main thing holding him back from Nash, Stockton, and Price comparisons is his ball handling. How true is that? I don't know, but you wonder if it's something that can be improved.

It's pretty cool to see an ordinarily-built 6'2" white guy getting this much attention. In this supposed era where athletes are bigger and better. It would be great for the league if he's drafted by San Antonio and does turn out to be a Nash/Stockton/Price-level player. The perfect sidekick for Wemby.

Default Re: What do you think about Reed Sheppard?

If there is genuinely potential to be the next great PG there, San Antonio will be able to tell. I don’t see it. I see his nba role like current Grayson Allen (league leading 3pt accuracy), with worse size/length/no-dirty-defense.

John Stockton 2.0 ? Unless he gets a lot faster, and can steal it from big 2guards, very doubtful. Or another Jimmer ? Time will tell.
    Last edited by BarberSchool; 03-13-2024 at 06:04 AM.

I have watched Kentucky several times. Reed can shoot 3s accurately off the dribble moving either direction. He actually has 23 blocks on the season so he is more athletic than people think. He can turn on his scoring when needed and has gone off in the 2nd half in games they were struggling.

He is also a good passer and gets a lot of steals. His numbers are absurd. He actually has a TS of 70%. I don't know about picking him first but i can see picking him at 5. The top 10 in this draft isn't that strong.

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post
    If there is genuinely potential to be the next great PG there, San Antonio will be able to tell. I don’t see it. I see his nba role like current Grayson Allen (league leading 3pt accuracy), with worse size/length/no-dirty-defense.

John Stockton 2.0 ? Unless he gets a lot faster, and can steal it from big 2guards, very doubtful. Or another Jimmer ? Time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    I have watched Kentucky several times. Reed can shoot 3s accurately off the dribble moving either direction. He actually has 23 blocks on the season so he is more athletic than people think. He can turn on his scoring when needed and has gone off in the 2nd half in games they were struggling.

He is also a good passer and gets a lot of steals. His numbers are absurd. He actually has a TS of 70%. I don't know about picking him first but i can see picking him at 5. The top 10 in this draft isn't that strong.
    Do y'all like him for San Antonio or do you prefer the other PGs like Topic and Dillingham? Who would you lean toward The Spurs drafting?

I like him in Utah with Lauri and Kessler. That's an all-white trio, ain't it? I wonder if Danny digs Reed.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    I like him in Utah with Lauri and Kessler. That's an all-white trio, ain't it? I wonder if Danny digs Reed.
    Doubt Kessler will be in Utah long. Coach isn't a fan. Danny didn't draft him. Wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a center though wing or guard would seem to be a bigger need

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Doubt Kessler will be in Utah long. Coach isn't a fan. Danny didn't draft him. Wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a center though wing or guard would seem to be a bigger need
    What's coach's deal with Kessler? What about Zach Edey? Maybe Utah could snag him with their second pick if he's still there. Don't they have two first-round picks?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

What's coach's deal with Kessler? What about Zach Edey? Maybe Utah could snag him with their second pick if he's still there. Don't they have two first-round picks?
    might have only one if they don't finish in the bottom 10. High 2nd rounder too. Who knows what is up with Hardy? He keeps saying you won't play if you don't defend but their best defenders Kessler, Agbaji(before he was dealt), Dunn and Hendricks haven't played. He loves The Bum, Collins and George who don't defend

Do y'all like him for San Antonio or do you prefer the other PGs like Topic and Dillingham? Who would you lean toward The Spurs drafting?
    In general think those three will probably be ranked:

Topic
    Sheppard

Dillingham

I think Sheppard would work better in SA than other places because Wemby can cover for him defensively and Reed will provide great spacing.

In general think those three will probably be ranked:

Topic
    Sheppard

Dillingham

I think Sheppard would work better in SA than other places because Wemby can cover for him defensively and Reed will provide great spacing.
    Yeah, Wemby would not only mitigate Reed's limitations as a defender but also maximize his strengths. He could play super aggressively and blow up passing lanes like does in college with confidence knowing who's backing him up.

NBA Superstar

Grayson Allen isn't a good comp to me at all. Shepperd is way craftier and far more dynamic as a playmaker, and he shows skills at his age that Allen did not have at all.

He plays very restrained or in-control, but if Shepperd turned it on every game and attacked at will he'd score 20 a game as a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Grayson Allen isn't a good comp to me at all. Shepperd is way craftier and far more dynamic as a playmaker, and he shows skills at his age that Allen did not have at all.

He plays very restrained or in-control, but if Shepperd turned it on every game and attacked at will he'd score 20 a game as a freshman.
    Obviously his skill set, and natural instincts and tendencies, and grayson’s are wildly different.at the college level where they were a big option on their squads, they’re entirely different players …

The similarity I see, and was alluding to, is their on court USE at the NBA level,where often, two totally different players, will be hamstrung to weak side 3-pt shooting and scrappy perimeter defenses the rest of their services being underutilized at best, and completely neglected and forgotten about, more likely.

From the highlights OP posted, I don’t see a starting NBA PG. I see him being used as an elite shooter with JJ Reddick/ Grayson Allen usage. Not starting PG usage. Been wrong before about very small guards.

NBA Superstar

Obviously his skill set, and natural instincts and tendencies, and grayson’s are wildly different.at the college level where they were a big option on their squads, they’re entirely different players …

The similarity I see, and was alluding to, is their on court USE at the NBA level,where often, two totally different players, will be hamstrung to weak side 3-pt shooting and scrappy perimeter defenses the rest of their services being underutilized at best, and completely neglected and forgotten about, more likely.

From the highlights OP posted, I don’t see a starting NBA PG. I see him being used as an elite shooter with JJ Reddick/ Grayson Allen usage. Not starting PG usage. Been wrong before about very small guards.
    That's the thing though. Shepperd wasn't a big option for Kentucky until the last couple of weeks where he's shown a complete takeover ability in multiple facets.

I agree that his size might be an issue, but if he's utilized in a Reddick type of role, he will at least have the ability to be the primary ball-handler and playmaker when the starting PG is out. I could see teams staggering him in that way.

Another aspect, since Grayson was the 21st pick, is that he went to an established team where his role was going to be limited. Shepperd may be tasked with helping a team from the ground-up and I think he has the mental make-up, and skills, to etch out a different role.

I've seen the better-shooting Hinrich comps but I think Bibby ones are more accurate.
    Last edited by ShawkFactory; 03-13-2024 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post

He's had 20+ just in the 2nd half a couple of times when they needed him to score against Tenn and Miss St. He is more conservative in the 1st half. Apparently Calipari told him to be more assertive in the 2nd half so he responded.

NBA Superstar

He's had 20+ just in the 2nd half a couple of times when they needed him to score against Tenn and Miss St. He is more conservative in the 1st half. Apparently Calipari told him to be more assertive in the 2nd half so he responded.
    Yea I think if he was more selfish and just wanted to score/assist he could do so pretty much at will.