Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Wade/Dirk(06), Duncan/Lebron(07), Kobe/KG, or Kobe/Dwight.

Which finals opponent duo you talking to win the title right now in the form they were in at the time?

Am I crazy for leaning Wade/Dirk?

Kobe and Dwight would be pretty wild right now too but the personalities clashed last time. 09 Dwight might average 20/17 right now though.

Default Re: Wade/Dirk(06), Duncan/Lebron(07), Kobe/KG, or Kobe/Dwight.

Wade/Dirk is the best duo here, both are basically at peak form and compliment each other extremely well.

Kobe/KG would be my next choice, LeBron/Duncan 3rd, Kobe/Dwight last.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Duncan Lebron

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Wade/Dirk is the best duo here, both are basically at peak form and compliment each other extremely well.

Kobe/KG would be my next choice, LeBron/Duncan 3rd, Kobe/Dwight last.
    This exactly, pretty easily too.

Give me Kobe/KG. In 2008, Garnett wasn't far off from his peak. A Wade/Dirk combo while great might have issues defensively.

Kobe and KG is easily the best in terms of fit. Bran and Duncan would be the best on paper but their styles don't mesh at all. Bran doesn't need a big man clogging up the lane.

Wade slashing with Nowitzki spacing the floor would be nasty. Dwyane's rim protection would help make up for Dirk's defensive shortcomings.

Kobe/KG is the least flawed and most versatile, but I'm not sure the strengths are as great. Garnett gives you epic defense but it's an offense-slanted league in 2024. I get way more rim and foul pressure with Dirk and Wade; not to mention, their games don't overlap too heavily.

You could switch out Jokic and Murray for Dirk and Wade and you're good.

Dirk
    Gordon
    Porter Jr
    KCP
    Wade

You know Dirk and Wade made a combined 123 threes in 2006? Lou Dort has made 121 this year already and he came in as a guy most known as a defender too good to sit even though he could be utterly ignored on offense. Dirks game would look so different removing 5-6 midrange shots a night for 3s.

Dirk's career was funny about that. He started out shooting the most threes while playing with Nash under Don Nelson. Makes sense I guess. Then he morphed into more of a mid-range shooting, pinch-post guy as the Mavs transitioned into a defensively-oriented half-court team. And by the end, he came full circle and was back to shooting it like in the beginning.

For what it's worth, Dallas' best offenses were the ones from 2001-2004. I guess that's not surprising given Nash + Dirk + Nelson. But it gives me confidence in the Nowitzki + Wade pairing in 2024.

Hard to put a number on it, but based on how Dirk was shooting the three from 2017-2019, '06 Dirk would probably take 6-8 per game I'd think. But who knows...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Kobe and 2004 KG would be unstoppable. Better than Shaq Kobe imo.

I’m sure he would be great. It just got me thinking. Dirk might take 15 to 18 shots a game. Everyone here will be comfortable with dirk taking 10 threes. It wouldn’t be out of line. 10 threes+ the usual couple layups and dump offs. Some transition opportunities. How much of the dirk we know would remain? How many traditional Dirk isolation mid range shots would you expect? Two? Three? Would he even look like the player we remember? Would he still take a bunch like KD and just mix in more threes?

Dirk standing around waiting for kick outs is a thought I don’t like.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Kobe and KG is easily the best in terms of fit. Bran and Duncan would be the best on paper but their styles don't mesh at all. Bran doesn't need a big man clogging up the lane.
    True. Lebron has never meshed well with post playing PFs with no 3pt shot. That's why he always plays with stretch 4s or 5s.

Lebron + Dirk would be interesting though. That'd be a deadly combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I’m sure he would be great. It just got me thinking. Dirk might take 15 to 18 shots a game. Everyone here will be comfortable with dirk taking 10 threes. It wouldn’t be out of line. 10 threes+ the usual couple layups and dump offs. Some transition opportunities. How much of the dirk we know would remain? How many traditional Dirk isolation mid range shots would you expect? Two? Three? Would he even look like the player we remember? Would he still take a bunch like KD and just mix in more threes?

Dirk standing around waiting for kick outs is a thought I don’t like.
    Was '06 Dirk mobile enough to play like how Lauri is coming off screens, attacking off the catch/attacking closeouts, and faking and going backdoor for cuts? I need to watch some highlights to remember how often he was doing those things if at all. Might be better to have him operating at the elbows where he's one dribble from the rim I guess.

Which years are you using for Kobe and KG? I'm inclined to take them 2nd after Wade who would be carving up today's interior defenses with Dirk spreading the floor. That would be one hell of a pick and roll combo.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Kobe and 2004 KG would be unstoppable. Better than Shaq Kobe imo.
    Hard to say; depends on who the other guys are and what era. What would Shaq even look like in 2024?