Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tatum

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Default Tatum

This is more about the celtics , but supposedly Tatum is the face of the team.

AGAINST Denver - denver won both games.

tatum last night 15 points , and Brown as usual the body of work 41 trying to win the game.

if these two teams meet up in the finals Denver will be a back to back champion, cause Celtics might win 2 in a 7 game series.

Tatum is hype up as this forum and media are proved to me once again he isn't the man in Celtics uni but BROWN IS !!!!

Wake up people , tatum is a hero baller and that is it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Tatum

Tatum is overrated. He has no creativity to his game. Just a line drive shooter and slasher on high volume. No bounce or flash. Kawhi was like that but he actually dominated when it counted.

College superstar

He is clearly not that guy. Neither is brown. They are decent players but it's time for them to realize they are not it and should change their mindsets about how they can best impact the team winning.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Tatum is not that guy, been saying this for years

I think after he fizzled in the clutch against the Cavs and the media made mention of his 15-46 conversion rate in whats considered “crunch time” this year (which I think is defined as the last five minutes of close games or something) I suspect he consciously took a step back to give others a chance to step up. Which Brown did, altho there are frequently nights when Brown is off and Tatum has the big line. They kinda go back and forth in terms of who’s feeling it, the issue is neither is consistent as a superstar caliber scorer, and neither has particularly good playmaking ability for a first option. Brown is okay but compared to other first options he’s nothing special.

The crazy thing is in the playoffs I would actually consider bringing Tatum off the bench and starting Al, I think you still have plenty of shooting and perimeter defense in the lineup, and if they can get a little bit more rebounding and rim protection theyll have better balance for the playoffs. Let Tatum come in and be a creator for Pritchard and Hauser and Kornet, and he can also take plenty of shots in that role.

Ofc its not gonna happen in a million years. But on pure effectiveness I think it’s valid idea.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Just a 15ppg scorer, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I think after he fizzled in the clutch against the Cavs and the media made mention of his 15-46 conversion rate in whats considered “crunch time” this year (which I think is defined as the last five minutes of close games or something) I suspect he consciously took a step back to give others a chance to step up. Which Brown did, altho there are frequently nights when Brown is off and Tatum has the big line. They kinda go back and forth in terms of who’s feeling it, the issue is neither is consistent as a superstar caliber scorer, and neither has particularly good playmaking ability for a first option. Brown is okay but compared to other first options he’s nothing special.

The crazy thing is in the playoffs I would actually consider bringing Tatum off the bench and starting Al, I think you still have plenty of shooting and perimeter defense in the lineup, and if they can get a little bit more rebounding and rim protection theyll have better balance for the playoffs. Let Tatum come in and be a creator for Pritchard and Hauser and Kornet, and he can also take plenty of shots in that role.

Ofc its not gonna happen in a million years. But on pure effectiveness I think it’s valid idea.
    You took it too far lol

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    You took it too far lol
    Why? It doesnt change how many minutes Tatum plays. It changes the dynamic of the lineups.

Their starting lineup has redundancies that in theory lead to diminished returns. If you can achieve everything you need to with four scorers, adding a fifth scorer doesnt mean you get another 20% better offensively. Thats how a lot of people see basketball but it’s not really how it works. What you want is to have the most harmonious five man lineups on the floor for as close to 48 minutes as you can get.

I know the Celtics are cruising but the regular season is really just target practice at the shootin gallery. The playoffs are a fight in a phone booth. Different animal. Weve seen a lot of 60 win hares get humbled by the tortoise over the years.

This Celtic team appears to lack… something. And there arent any changes they can make to the roster itself at this point. So they might have to still look at lineup tweaks to keep them a little more gritty and humbled.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Why? It doesnt change how many minutes Tatum plays. It changes the dynamic of the lineups.

Their starting lineup has redundancies that in theory lead to diminished returns. If you can achieve everything you need to with four scorers, adding a fifth scorer doesnt mean you get another 20% better offensively. Thats how a lot of people see basketball but it’s not really how it works. What you want is to have the most harmonious five man lineups on the floor for as close to 48 minutes as you can get.

I know the Celtics are cruising but the regular season is really just target practice at the shootin gallery. The playoffs are a fight in a phone booth. Different animal. Weve seen a lot of 60 win hares get humbled by the tortoise over the years.

This Celtic team appears to lack… something. And there arent any changes they can make to the roster itself at this point. So they might have to still look at lineup tweaks to keep them a little more gritty and humbled.
    Bro... you don't bench a guy doing 27/8/5 on elite %'s. He's still a great player. Just overrated when people make him out to be some untouchable superstar. You don't bench somebody that's producing like that and leading a 1 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Bro... you don't bench a guy doing 27/8/5 on elite %'s. He's still a great player. Just overrated when people make him out to be some untouchable superstar. You don't bench somebody that's producing like that and leading a 1 seed.
    I get that but “benching him” does not mean demoting him or playing him less minutes. He can still take the most shots and be the star while staggering his minutes with a different set of players in a way beneficial to the team.

You think Manu couldnt be today what Jayson Tatum is, if he was given a greenlight to play with mamba mentality? Manu came off the bench. So why is Tatum somehow “too good for it?”

Their starting lineup is overkill in a lot of ways, while having some deficiencies in other ways. If you stagger the minutes differently it might solve some things. You could still play him 35 minutes. If his ego cant handle other people “thinking” hes been dissed by changing how he lines up, hes not that guy (which we already know).

I guarantee if you told Duncan or Joker theyre coming off the bench but still gonna be the featured guy (you wouldnt actually do this with them but as an example) and explained to them why they'd be like “sure, I dont care, lets do it” and theyd go out and kill.

Real ones know that in the long run the results will tell the tale. It’s the imitators who need moment by moment validation.

He's not THAT guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    He's not THAT guy.
    Still way better than your hero Ingram though.

As far as Tatum goes ... I wish people would look at his body of work... Once Celtics have the game in hand Tatum mopes up and scores most of his points.

If you think he is the leader ... wrong he plays hero ball day in day out.

I saw only one game he dominated in the game and it was in Minny .
    I was impressed with his play at that game .. he sliced and diced to the hoop , when he shoot wasn't falling and took his team to the end.

Bring him off the bench isn't an option , but point is Celtics team has the weakest bench in the league.

If it was not for their back up center/PF and Prit'cher... can't even imagine where they would be.