Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Gen Z is really pushing the “The 90s were awful” angle lately.

tbh jj going after cousy is one of the more disgusting things i’ve seen. like talk about standing on the shoulders of giants and appreciating that these guys paved the way for where you are today, and you go back and try to shit on them after the fact. with jj it’s even worse because he made all his money off their backs. His playing career is over. He doesn’t need any more money, he doesn’t need anything, it’s like an extra f u to all the guys who played in an archiach league that didn’t have proper compensation and medical care for the players…. The compulsion to undermine their achievements is really weird. JJ got some issues to say the least. god bless him.

Yea JJ's comments on Cousy were disgusting. I could understand a paper pusher, couch potato analyst making that kind of statement but for a successful pro to say that. He should respect the past legends that paved the way.

Gen Z morons.. yep. It is what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Yea JJ's comments on Cousy were disgusting. I could understand a paper pusher, couch potato analyst making that kind of statement but for a successful pro to say that. He should respect the past legends that paved the way.

Gen Z morons.. yep. It is what it is though.
    Do you think he doesn't?

This is the person we are talking about:

Why be so offended over a joke when you got guys like the one in your avatar throwing his ego about and talking shit about newer players year after year?

JJ was just doing the ridiculous shit talk in the wrong environment. The context is the game wasn't as developed. The network got the attention they wanted. People talked. He apologized.

He's a millenial btw.

I'm old enough now to understand that everyone protects their era whether it be sports, music, movies, etc. Wilt, Russell and Oscar fans were thumbing their nose at Jordan. Jordan fans thumbing it at Kobe. Jordan and Kobe fans thumb it at Lebron. Someone born in 2015 will thumb it at this current gen and think the NBA started when Wembenyama entered the league. I think cartoons peaked between the 70s and 90s but when I show my 6 year old nephew the OG TMNT show he thinks its absolute garbage and I think his version is crap. My wifes then 12 year old Goddaughter loves the Looney Tunes show that came out a few years ago, but blank-faces Bugs and Daffy fighting over wabbit or duck season or Yosemite cursing nonsensically trying to keep an inheritance that Bugs was deducting from if he lost his temper. It is what it is.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 03-08-2024 at 03:55 AM.

The thing old heads usually don't get is players get better and better as each era passed. If you think Bob Cousy would be something more than team accountant today you'd be fooling yourself.

The thing new heads usually don't get is the new players won't fare better if they played in the old era. If you think Lebron James would average 50 points in canvas shoes, bus travel, terrible coaches, no 3s, no injury management, smoke filled arena, racist chants. You'd be fooling yourself as well.

This thread reminds me of this dude here:

I don't think he's gen Z though, more like an older millennial. If you're not that emotionally invested in protecting this shit it is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post

Reminds me of that Tom Brady hater who would make vids like this years ago.
    Oh shit I just posted that guy without even looking at all the comments to know you and Reggie43 already posted him lol

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Gifs like that do show the lack of 3pt skill back then. Even non shooters today would drill a 3 with that type of sagging.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

This is every era tho. It's pretty funny, but it happens all the time.

In the 91 finals, there was a player who played in the 70s who complained that you couldn't play defense with the new rules. And how they could guard MJ.

Wilt was saying how MJ couldn't shoot and he couldn't go left I think. The pistons made that their whole defense against him.

Wilt was complaining about Shaq in the 90s, at how he used to foul people.

Now you have guys like Sheed talking about how the 00s was the golden era of basketball and how the 20s don't compare. In Gil's podcast, they recently went over the best decade and thought the 00s is the best. One of the dudes thought AI is better than Curry.

Eventually, you'll have fans criticize the 00s too haha. The 00s can't shoot or play the offense like the 20s can. And eventually, we are going to criticize the 10s and the 20s too. It's a cycle. I feel like if you been around long enough, you see the same thing. It's going to happen. Even back in the 90s they predicted this. They called Magic a complainer and he had more help than MJ. And criticized the early 80s for the lack of defense. Then Magic fans clap back and said ppl are going to criticize the era that MJ played in too in the future.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    This thread reminds me of this dude here:

I don't think he's gen Z though, more like an older millennial. If you're not that emotionally invested in protecting this shit it is hilarious.
    That guy cracks me up lol!

Good High School Starter

Look at how skinny the players were. Anyone that thinks most of the league isn't on PEDs is kidding themselves, lol. And by most of the league, I mean almost all of them. Most of the league has been on PEDs for 15-20+ years at this point.

A decent number of star players were on PEDs even in the 90s tho. 80s, I don't really think so. Maybe.
    Last edited by Wardell Curry; 03-09-2024 at 12:08 PM.

You can cherry pick any highlights these days and make it seem like any particular was good/bad. I take it with a grain of salt but is there any other sport where different generations sh1t on each other? Like older commentators on ESPN and TNT will just straight up criticize the new players and call them soft. I don’t see that in football for example. Retired football players who work on fox or cbs always give current players their due credit. It works the other way around too or course. Zoomers will try to minimize or make fun of Jordan and magic for no reason other than sh1t posting and showing generational allegiance. How hard is it for supposed basketball fans to simply show respect to the game as a whole?

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    You can cherry pick any highlights these days and make it seem like any particular was good/bad. I take it with a grain of salt but is there any other sport where different generations sh1t on each other? Like older commentators on ESPN and TNT will just straight up criticize the new players and call them soft. I don’t see that in football for example. Retired football players who work on fox or cbs always give current players their due credit. It works the other way around too or course. Zoomers will try to minimize or make fun of Jordan and magic for no reason other than sh1t posting and showing generational allegiance. How hard is it for supposed basketball fans to simply show respect to the game as a whole?
    It's because no other sport except basketball fundamentally changed its style across eras. The change in rules, officiating practice, and tactics have made today's game unrecognizable to those that played in the past. And honestly the 90's game was also unrecognizable compared to the 60's. Basketball is the only sport that did that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    That guy cracks me up lol!
    I know they're cherrypicking the plays but man... Oakley out here airballing wide open 15 foot shots.

And he was an All Star!

Makes you wonder... some of these guys... did they even practice basketball? Or just goonsmanship?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    I know they're cherrypicking the plays but man... Oakley out here airballing wide open 15 foot shots.

And he was an All Star!

Makes you wonder... some of these guys... did they even practice basketball? Or just goonsmanship?
    Oakley had a good face up game. Could shoot and pass. Couldn't jump and was pretty useless around the basket offensively