Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1926272829303132 LastLast

Default Re: Gen Z is really pushing the “The 90s were awful” angle lately.

These guys looking to frown upon others after just realizing he doesn't only make videos about the 80s and 90s.

So sad seeing another generation of the boomer mentality.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Yo we just found a clip of grandpa kblaze watching these videos.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    From what I've seen, it seems to be a trend that players improve as their volume increases. This was generally the case with the greats from the 80s going into the 90s, and what we've seen more recently from 2015 onward.

It makes sense, actually. These are NBA players, and not just any players, but some of the best. Why wouldn't they improve at something they consistently practice, or something that's made to be the mainstream style of play within the league?

Having said that, I have no problem thinking that MJ wouldn't shoot higher than 35% in a league like today's. Though I do think he would hover around 35-36%, with some years being 33-34%, and some possibly being 37-39%.
    The more you shoot a shot from basically anywhere on the court, the better your accuracy will get.

I know apparently not many people here have played organized basketball, doesn't even sound like a lot of people here even play pick up ball (put down the PS5 controller fellas and break a sweat, your body will thank you for it one day).

But as someone who played a lot growing up at various levels ... absolutely it makes a huge difference if you're shooting 1 or 2 threes a game versus 3-10 a night like modern players do. Jordan's percentage being higher and in line with modern players when he shot 3 or more a night is perfectly logical.

Shit, even for free throws it makes a big difference if you're only shooting 1 or 2 free throws a night versus shooting like 8 or 9. It's much easier to get a rhythm at the line the more you shoot. A 3 point shot is not any different. You can't get into any kind of rhythm with a shot if you're only shooting 1 or 2 from that range a night unless we're talking like lay ups or put backs and things like that.

Based on the fact that Jordan shot a bit over 36% in games where he took 3 or more 3 pointers, I think that would basically be the floor for him in the modern game because he'd shoot in that range minimum given how the game is played today. He'd probably naturally practise that shot more given it has more emphasis put on it today, so that 36% could very easily go to 38%, 39%, maybe even 40% in certain years.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 03-25-2024 at 06:01 PM.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Yo we just found a clip of grandpa kblaze watching these videos.

It really is amazing to me how people can interpret literally one person trolling like the guy that started all of this cited in the OP and do two things.

1 - Take the argument/memeing seriously
    2 - Label an entire generation of people as having the same views even though the guy making the videos isn't even from said generation

This kind of take is embarrassing. The guy making these videos doesn't think Michael Jordan was trash and neither does anyone posting here that isn't trying to get a reaction out of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    It really is amazing to me how people can interpret literally one person trolling like the guy that started all of this cited in the OP and do two things.

2 - Label an entire generation of people as having the same views even though the guy making the videos isn't even from said generation

This kind of take is embarrassing. The guy making these videos doesn't think Michael Jordan was trash and neither does anyone posting here that isn't trying to get a reaction out of people.
    A lot of people take it too serious... can't joke around nowadays.

NBA rookie of the year

He's taking it too seriously, it's just a dumb insincere trend that a few nerds on the internet are clamouring about, not many people really agree with the takes.

Gen Z loves Jordan, they watched The Last Dance in droves, they buy Air Jordans still in droves, if it was just 80s/90s-heads buying those shoes they would've fizzled as a brand 10-15 years ago. How many young people would rock like Magic Johnson shoes today ... not many. Shit how many kids even wear Iverson or Vince Carter or Dwayne Wade merch these days ... pretty much no one outside of the odd retro Raptors 15 jersey you'll see pop up when visiting Toronto. I see kids all the time wearing like Air Jordans or something that they probably paid out the ass for, lol. And not just like the Air Jordan XI or something, like everything from the Air Jordan I through to the XIV especially, I end up seeing all over the place.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 03-26-2024 at 02:53 AM.

This is pathetic.

MJ is literary getting the Ben Simmons treatment.

https://twitter.com/BronnyMuse06/sta...79665609400586

90s basketball has been busted. SOrry. No coming back from that!@

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn View Post
    This is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn View Post
    This is pathetic.

This is why I laugh when people say guys today would get locked up in the 90s because they're not tough enough. Yes... scoring in the paint would be way harder but they would get absolutely sniped playing that type of defense. And that was the standard if you watch the tape .

Good High School Starter

All jokes aside, as they existed in reality at their peaks and not from a speculative standpoint of how they would do in a certain era had they grown up in that era, which team is winning?

Magic, Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Olajuwon

Curry, Thompson, James, Durant, Jokic

Feel free to substitute people from the 80s/90s as you see fit, I don't really care.

Banned

All jokes aside, as they existed in reality at their peaks and not from a speculative standpoint of how they would do in a certain era had they grown up in that era, which team is winning?

Magic, Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Olajuwon

Curry, Thompson, James, Durant, Jokic

Feel free to substitute people from the 80s/90s as you see fit, I don't really care.
    If you transported that 80's team to current day using a time machine and they had to play that day, and they didn't have time to adapt or develop a more modern approach, they would lose.

They would basically be trading 2's for 3's the entire game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

This dude is a legit comedian. James Worthy guarding James Worthy.

Last night a full game of Bulls/Pistons from 96 popped up on my YouTube( the game Jordan had 53) so I said why not so watched the first 18 minutes or so. Was quite jarring....a number of times Ron Harper, Jud Buechler, Kukoc got wide open 3s, Pistons don't even bother closing on them. Clank after clank. Joe Dumars clanked a few open jumpers, ditto for Houston. The guy who looked like the 'shooter' on the floor was Terry Mills who had a physique resembling Jokic. Funny enough in the moment Luc Longley came out the gate looking like the Bulls 2nd option. Rodman mixing it up on the inside with Don Reid and Otis Thorpe with his antics drew a chuckle.

Not the finest representation of 90s basketball but in the moment I could see a younger fan from today watching it and coming away thinking these guys couldn't shoot. Mostly I was looking at it seeing MJ draw tons of shots for guys and thinking aloud imagine if he had todays shooters on the wings.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 03-28-2024 at 04:56 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    number of times Ron Harper, Jud Buechler, Kukoc got wide open 3s, Pistons don't even bother closing on them. Clank after clank.
    In 1996 Tonik Kukoc hit 40% from 3, Jud Buechler hit 44% and Steve Kerr hit 53%. MJ made 43%.

It was the shortened season.

If people think that those players couldn't step half a foot back and still hit the 3 at a respectable rate, if the teams decided to plan for it, then yeah, that's not rational.

I think most younger people who look at 90s don't really understand what they're watching. They don't understand the physicality and the packed paints, they don't understand that a semi-open midrange shot is as good a shot as you're ever going to get. That's why players took them constantly. It was considered your most consistent option, because you weren't getting open layups and you might not have a great post player, so your strategy is to execute decisively and when you see daylight you take the shot.

Personally, what I see is a very fast and dynamic game, not fast as in number of possesions, but in decision making. There is no room to pound the ball endlessly or try to get just the right matchup, you try to make quick decisions to get some space and then you make a move. You don't endlessly pass the ball around or endlessly dribble the ball.

If people ever played basketball like this, they'd understand how demanding it is and why tempo and fundamentals were very important.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post

This dude is a legit comedian. James Worthy guarding James Worthy.
    It's actually crazy. Watch the beginning of this clip... guards on the left side of the court dribbling like TEN times in a row all right handed. And absolutely ZERO ball pressure. And the Lakers and the Jazz were considered great teams. This shit is crazy.