Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Is Grayson Allen better than Bradley Beal?

It seems every time I check out a Suns game Grayson has gone off. And he apparently is the best 3pt shooter in the league right now and he is the best defender on his team.

Am I tripping or is Grayson better than Beal?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Is Grayson Allen better than Bradley Beal?

In a vacuum, no. He’s a better fit alongside KD and Booker though.

For a 3rd option to thrive alongside 2 stars they need to be an elite shooter and Grayson provides that at a level that Beal can’t.

If you’re starting a team from scratch then you’re probably going Beal.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    In a vacuum, no. He’s a better fit alongside KD and Booker though.

For a 3rd option to thrive alongside 2 stars they need to be an elite shooter and Grayson provides that at a level that Beal can’t.

If you’re starting a team from scratch then you’re probably going Beal.
    Wizards Beal definitely had more talent but it seems he's getting too many shots attempts now for what he produces. Inefficient and plays no D. How is that valuable?

This season? Absolutely. He's been available for one, and he's much more efficient in his role.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

remember there were posters here that said bradly beal’s contract wasn’t bad

lol

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    This season? Absolutely. He's been available for one, and he's much more efficient in his role.
    I guess... 130 ORTG is crazy. 50/47/90 splits. These are sniper %'s to the max over a signifigant sample size.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

going to be a hard sell after Peja not being better than than empty stats and sub 40% shooters

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Obviously he doesn’t go off often or he wouldn’t average 12.9 a game. He had 16 points the previous 3 games combined and one twenty point night since January 15th. Hes having a great year but it’s a great role player year. Hes not expected to step up nightly and with good reason. He plays off others.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

If Beal is going to remain injury prone like he has been these last few years then yes.

Taking into account their contracts Allen is easily more valuable. Beal makes 5x more than Allen.

It’s interesting because he was not shooting like this in Milwaukee. If he had they probably wouldnt have moved him in the first place.

So the question is whether this is an outlier year for him and he’ll regress toward the mean eventually, or if this is his new normal.

But of course if he's gonna remain the best statistical shooter in the game then he’s a pretty valuable guy. My feeling is he cant keep this level up indefinitely, and most importantly will the pressure of the playoffs bring him back down to Earth? Joe Harris used to shoot like this in the regular season, but he could never buy a basket in the playoffs and now hes irrelevant. If Allen isnt shooting 45% on threes or whatever it is, then hes just another guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    It’s interesting because he was not shooting like this in Milwaukee. If he had they probably wouldnt have moved him in the first place.

So the question is whether this is an outlier year for him and he’ll regress toward the mean eventually, or if this is his new normal.

But of course if he's gonna remain the best statistical shooter in the game then he’s a pretty valuable guy. My feeling is he cant keep this level up indefinitely, and most importantly will the pressure of the playoffs bring him back down to Earth? Joe Harris used to shoot like this in the regular season, but he could never buy a basket in the playoffs and now hes irrelevant. If Allen isnt shooting 45% on threes or whatever it is, then hes just another guy.
    He was a 40+% 3pt shooter across his last 4 seasons with the Bucks and Grizzlies. 47% is over his head shooting, but he was elite for a long time before this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    He was a 40+% 3pt shooter across his last 4 seasons with the Bucks and Grizzlies. 47% is over his head shooting, but he was elite for a long time before this year.
    He was at an even 40%, which is good but in today’s game I dont know if thats considered ‘elite’ for a floor spacer. Seth Curry shoots a career 43% and hes barely hanging on in the league. Grant Williams for instance shoots 38% from three on his career.

So again I say, Grayson Allen shooting 40% long range just makes him another guy today. He’s a reasonably scrappy and savvy player beyond shooting so he can still get minutes at that percentage. But it doesnt make him someone who is meaningfully above replacement. Again, Milwaukee traded him because they were still looking for that guy in the backcourt. He was ok but he wasnt a difference maker.

Facts Are Misleading

For guys that shoot a decent amount of 3s this year (300 attempts or more) only 15 of them shoot 40 percent or higher.

I think it's safe to say 40 percent is very very good for a floor spacer.

Facts Are Misleading

Certainly can't classify 40 percent as just another guy.