Default Wemby already better than peak Hakeem in block shots?

Wemby's posting peak Hakeem blocking number (5.6 blk per 100 poss) while having better block percentage (9.9%). Hakeem's peak block percentage was 7%.

Default Re: Wemby already better than peak Hakeem in block shots?

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe go... Nevermind.

I think he'll have better rate numbers (per 100; block percentage) but I don't think he'll peak as high per game. 4.6 per game seems out of reach in this era no doubt; however, if there was a guy to do it it'd be Victor. He could beat Hakeem's career average of 3.1 though - given he stays healthy.

Obviously, blocking shots is only one facet of rim protection, and rim protection is only one component of defense. Your question only asked about blocking shots. Rim protection and defense as a whole is another discussion; one with many nuances and considerations.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

blocks don't necessarily go up as a player gets better because guys stay away from them more and they learn that sometimes it's better not to go for a block

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe go... Nevermind.

I think he'll have better rate numbers (per 100; block percentage) but I don't think he'll peak as high per game. 4.6 per game seems out of reach in this era no doubt; however, if there was a guy to do it it'd be Victor. He could beat Hakeem's career average of 3.1 though - given he stays healthy.

Obviously, blocking shots is only one facet of rim protection, and rim protection is only one component of defense. Your question only asked about blocking shots. Rim protection and defense as a whole is another discussion; one with many nuances and considerations.
    per game is hard cause there's a lot less blocking opportunity available.