Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Pippen “unguarded”

Just finished reading this book

From the first page until the end, he sounded so bitter and jealous not only of MJ but a lot of the other guys as well. Basically lots of whining and complaining about literally everything.

Magic’s book was so much better and informative compare to this book

What did you guys thought of the book? I don’t see how “the last dance” disrespected the rest of the guys like pippen mentioned.

Default Re: Pippen “unguarded”

It has mostly positive reviews. In contrast to your statement I see opinions like this:

Scottie Pippen's negativity toward Michael Jordan and The Last Dance documentary has been taken out of context when blasted across the media. The attention is one reason why I decided to read the book. I wasn't a big Chicago Bulls fan and never worshipped at the altar of MJ during his reign. I live in Arkansas and remember when Pippen played at the University of Central Arkansas, but because he ended up with the Bulls, I still wasn't a fan.

That said, I wanted to see if Pippen was as much a crybaby as others thought.

He wasn't.

Instead, he complained about things rightfully wronged to him. Jerry Krause's inability to compensate him during his tenure there, Jordan's me-me attitude during the seasons and the apparent love of Toni Kukoc were all discussed... fairly. Pippen also talks about his infamous 1.8 seconds of not going into a game to pass the ball to Kukoc. That hangs over him like a dark cloud.

If Pippen went to a team besides the Bulls during his prime, he would have been the team leader and a star on his own, rather than a Jordan shadow.

Pippen was also able to blame himself for mistakes and he realized, looking back, at things he did that he thought were wrong. So, the hype about the book, about Pippen being whiney about it all, is not accurate.

I thought the game recaps of the Bulls dynasty were great. Again, he notes when he has a bad game and blames himself, rather than whine about Jordan getting the ball all the time.

After reading this, I felt more in favor of Pippen than I felt during that 1990s Bulls teams. I wish I knew more of him back then so I'd see how amazing a player he really was.
    Seems reasonable. Perhaps people should just hear him out instead of getting mad about him expressing his thoughts about their childhood hero.

Also, I don't believe you have even skimmed one page of the book.

NBA Superstar

I mean…it may sound petulant but Pippen of all people probably has a reason to feel that way. Jordan was the GOAT but also a dick probably. He was wildly underpaid through most of it. Didn’t seem like he was treated all that well in general despite his contributions.

Maybe it’s just him being insecure and making all of that “they’re out to get me” stuff up but it at least makes sense that he would feel that way when seeing all of this from a few angles.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    I mean…it may sound petulant but Pippen of all people probably has a reason to feel that way. Jordan was the GOAT but also a dick probably. He was wildly underpaid through most of it. Didn’t seem like he was treated all that well in general despite his contributions.

Maybe it’s just him being insecure and making all of that “they’re out to get me” stuff up but it at least makes sense that he would feel that way when seeing all of this from a few angles.
    Exactly. He got screwed over on his money and he had to live in someone else's shadow that whole time. He won more rings than almost anyone in modern NBA history, but it came at a cost. I'm sure that looking back he would have rather been a #1 on a worse team and not won as much while making a lot more money in the process, but then again we will never know if he would have developed into that guy if he started out on another team.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    It has mostly positive reviews. In contrast to your statement I see opinions like this:

Seems reasonable. Perhaps people should just hear him out instead of getting mad about him expressing his thoughts about their childhood hero.

Also, I don't believe you have even skimmed one page of the book.
    Cool job finding a shilled review from a Pippen fan lmaooo

Pippen has always been very childish. This isn’t anything new.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Supposedly Pippen is going on a 50 city state tour with Horace Grant and Luc Longley to complain about "the Last Dance".

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Exactly. He got screwed over on his money and he had to live in someone else's shadow that whole time. He won more rings than almost anyone in modern NBA history, but it came at a cost. I'm sure that looking back he would have rather been a #1 on a worse team and not won as much while making a lot more money in the process, but then again we will never know if he would have developed into that guy if he started out on another team.
    He's be forgotten if not riding MJ's coattails

Serious playground baller Nowoco's Avatar

He got screwed over on his money
    No he didnt. He screwed himself. He was advised by Reinsdorf himself NOT to take the 6 year $2m/year contract. He took it because it was guaranteed. He made his bed and should sleep in it. It also wasnt MJ's fault Scottie took a shitty contract.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Supposedly Pippen is going on a 50 city state tour with Horace Grant and Luc Longley to complain about "the Last Dance".
    You are an idiot.

Local High School Star

Didn't even know Pippen had a book but this topic makes me want to read it now

NBA rookie of the year

Scottie Pippen made more money in NBA salary than Michael Jordan did, lol. $109 million for Scottie, to $94 million for Jordan. And it's 100% him that signed the stupid contract he was upset about, he was literally told by the GM to not sign it, lol.

Like gimme a break. Not only did he make a ton of money in his career and the Bulls did him a solid by agreeing to sign and trade him (they didn't have to do this) so he could get more money, they even brought him back and paid him handsomely even though he barely played.

Funny how Scottie never mentions that. Dude is always crying about something. On top of the NBA salary he also doesn't openly cop to the fact that he made a lot of money from endorsement deals from Nike, Right Guard/Schick, Frito Lay, and others. Circa 1996 he was the 4th highest NBA player in endorsements behind Jordan, Shaq, and Grant Hill. Instead he even complains that the Nike signature shoe that they made for him wasn't good enough and hurt his feet.

This dude is never grateful for anything. Doesn't like Jordan, Phil Jackson is a racist, Barkley sucks, Nike sucks, has a feud going with John Paxson, was jealous of Kukoc for years, poor Scottie was ripped off by the Bulls, etc. etc. etc.

He's more well known than Hakeem Olajuwon from the 90s, even though Olajuwon is many times over the better player, you ever hear Hakeem complaining that he doesn't get his due? Pippen made virtually the same amount of money Olajuwon did, even though he had no business doing so, if anyone from the 90s has any business being bitter it would be here.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 03-14-2024 at 02:56 AM.

Pippen whining about the last dance would be hard to read. Would have been nice if he had released a book before the documentary.

I was living up there when Pippen signed that contract. This was talked about ad nauseum all over sports talk radio about how bad it was but Pippen wanted a long-term deal. What made it look even worse was Larry Johnson signing an $80 million deal not too long after Pip signed his. He screwed himself.

Hornets’ Johnson Signs NBA’s Richest Contract : Pro basketball: The all-star forward’s new deal believed to be worth $84 million over 12 years.
    L.A. TIMES ARCHIVES
    OCT. 6, 1993
    Last edited by RogueBorg; 03-14-2024 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Maybe, but we'll never know. He did get a team to a Game 7 of the WCF post-MJ so it's not like he only had success in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowoco View Post
    No he didnt. He screwed himself. He was advised by Reinsdorf himself NOT to take the 6 year $2m/year contract. He took it because it was guaranteed. He made his bed and should sleep in it. It also wasnt MJ's fault Scottie took a shitty contract.
    Sure, and it definitely wasn't on Jordan lol. He did it to himself and he still earned a lot so I don't feel bad for him. He got paid once he left the Bulls but I could see why he would have been upset at the time as a #2 on a dynasty who was making barely 2mil a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Scottie Pippen made more money in NBA salary than Michael Jordan did, lol. $109 million for Scottie, to $94 million for Jordan. And it's 100% him that signed the stupid contract he was upset about, he was literally told by the GM to not sign it, lol.

Like gimme a break. Not only did he make a ton of money in his career and the Bulls did him a solid by agreeing to sign and trade him (they didn't have to do this) so he could get more money, they even brought him back and paid him handsomely even though he barely played.

Funny how Scottie never mentions that. Dude is always crying about something. On top of the NBA salary he also doesn't openly cop to the fact that he made a lot of money from endorsement deals from Nike, Right Guard/Schick, Frito Lay, and others. Circa 1996 he was the 4th highest NBA player in endorsements behind Jordan, Shaq, and Grant Hill. Instead he even complains that the Nike signature shoe that they made for him wasn't good enough and hurt his feet.

This dude is never grateful for anything. Doesn't like Jordan, Phil Jackson is a racist, Barkley sucks, Nike sucks, has a feud going with John Paxson, was jealous of Kukoc for years, poor Scottie was ripped off by the Bulls, etc. etc. etc.

He's more well known than Hakeem Olajuwon from the 90s, even though Olajuwon is many times over the better player, you ever hear Hakeem complaining that he doesn't get his due? Pippen made virtually the same amount of money Olajuwon did, even though he had no business doing so, if anyone from the 90s has any business being bitter it would be here.
    I had to go look back on the salaries and yeah he actually made a lot after '98, he still was right to be upset about it at the time, whether he screwed himself over or not . He was in Jordan's shadow and wasn't paid like a star when he was easily a top 15 player in the league. Am I gonna feel sorry for him now? Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Yeah, the 5th draft pick. The guy that was in MVP discussion. The All-Star MVP when fans actually enjoyed the weekend. 8 All defensive 1st teams. 3 All NBA teams. Top 50 player ever. Probably would have been locking MJ up if he were on a different team.

Get real.