Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Why I Feared Jordan

Growing up a Knicks fan in upstate NY (late 80s, early 90s), the excitement grew before every playoff season as the possibility we might win a ring came closer. In my lifetime, the Knicks had never won the championship. During this time, there was one person responsible more than anyone else for making sure this never happened: Michael Jordan.

I loved the Knicks; the grittiness of Ewing, the physicality of Mason and Oakley; the grocery-store-bagger turned NBA phenom John Starks. To risk a cliche, it seemed like a "working man's" team without the flash but won with hustle and toughness.

When the playoffs came around and we inevitably played the Bulls, the only emotion I can remember distinctly is fear.

I thought "We can win. But we have to play perfectly. Handle the ball well. Ewing has to be on. Stark has to take great shots. " etc. The margin for error was thin.

30 years later, reflecting on why I felt that emotion, I drew the simple conclusion: Michael Jordan was a predator. That term best defines his nature as a player. He was not normal, there has been no one like him since. Period.

None of this has to do with his build, his facial expression, how "tough" he looked, nothing superficial.

And I won't go through what everyone already knows- that he was stronger, faster, jumped higher, quicker reflexes, more athletic than a league full of athletic freaks.

What drove the fear was that Jordan was absolutely like an apex predator from the wild. He studied the opposing team and his defender like a lion evaluating his prey. I doubt it came from watching film. He was just like this. I don't care how many players come in to the league, how many make adjustments, or how much film they watch- I don't think they'll be another like him.

The more you played Jordan, the better he would get at dismantling you.

Most people's minds are filled with trivial details, wants, memories. Jordan's mind was like a data bank of his opponent's weaknesses.

Highlights show Jordan soaring into the air and dunking. Truth is he had a million ways to score. There was nothing he couldn't do. He had a killer midrange game. He could score behind the arc. He had a great post-up game, especially later in his career.

His quickness and feints were akin to a running back, no one could keep up with him, and he would keep doing them until you eventually couldn't keep up. He used his toughness, esp. after the first few years when he put on muscle. If he was doubled, in a split second, he saw the 2nd defender, knew who on his team was guarded by that man, where he was on the court, and found him immediately with the ball for an easy score.

His IQ in the moment was stunning; as if we were calculating all the probabilities he had, exhausting every one in seconds, before deciding on the winning algorithm. And then storing in his head what worked against any defensive arrangement by the opponent, and using that later on. He was the closest thing to basketball artificial intelligence engine that improved on every iteration. On both ends of the court- offense and defense.

His scoring versatility (mentioned earlier) and peak athleticism is what allowed him to act on all this information.

During that period, the Bulls won every playoff series against the Knicks (except 94 when the Bulls were without Jordan). Of the series we lost, the 1992 playoffs were the only one we took it to 7 games. We won the first game. By the last game, the Bulls beat the Knicks by 29 points (!), a total shellacking, with Jordan scoring over 50% and scoring 42 points. The Bulls wont 110-81. 110 was massive back then in the playoffs- neither team in the first 6 games scored over 100 points.

By 1996, the last time during this era the two teams faced off in the playoffs, the Bulls won the series 4-1, no contest.

I could go on but I won't. Every athlete sizes up his opponent and tries to come up with ways to beat them based on some assessment. None of them were as good at it as Jordan.

Default Re: Why I Feared Jordan

Tl:dr 1-9

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Tl:dr 1-9
    This.

So not only were you afraid of a guy who put round balls into hoops for a living you worshiped his intelligence?
    I'll excuse this bitchmade behavior on account of you being a child at the time.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    So not only were you afraid of a guy who put round balls into hoops for a living you worshiped his intelligence?
    I'll excuse this bitchmade behavior on account of you being a child at the time.
    You usually make thoughtful posts. A bit surprised you descended to this kind of ad hominem.

Good High School Starter

Nice essay.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    Nice essay.
    Thanks. I'm just grateful Jordan was able to channel his aggressions towards something productive because he could have used those same skills in nefarious ways and been effective at it!

Also a Knicks fan, which is why I hate all the goats. Jordan stood in the Knicks way so many times, do they get at least 1 ring if there is no Jordan? About 99% sure they do.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    Growing up a Knicks fan in upstate NY (late 80s, early 90s), the excitement grew before every playoff season as the possibility we might win a ring came closer. In my lifetime, the Knicks had never won the championship. During this time, there was one person responsible more than anyone else for making sure this never happened: Michael Jordan.

I loved the Knicks; the grittiness of Ewing, the physicality of Mason and Oakley; the grocery-store-bagger turned NBA phenom John Starks. To risk a cliche, it seemed like a "working man's" team without the flash but won with hustle and toughness.

When the playoffs came around and we inevitably played the Bulls, the only emotion I can remember distinctly is fear.

I thought "We can win. But we have to play perfectly. Handle the ball well. Ewing has to be on. Stark has to take great shots. " etc. The margin for error was thin.

30 years later, reflecting on why I felt that emotion, I drew the simple conclusion: Michael Jordan was a predator. That term best defines his nature as a player. He was not normal, there has been no one like him since. Period.

None of this has to do with his build, his facial expression, how "tough" he looked, nothing superficial.

And I won't go through what everyone already knows- that he was stronger, faster, jumped higher, quicker reflexes, more athletic than a league full of athletic freaks.

What drove the fear was that Jordan was absolutely like an apex predator from the wild. He studied the opposing team and his defender like a lion evaluating his prey. I doubt it came from watching film. He was just like this. I don't care how many players come in to the league, how many make adjustments, or how much film they watch- I don't think they'll be another like him.

Most people's minds are filled with trivial details, wants, memories. Jordan's mind was like a data bank of his opponent's weaknesses.

Highlights show Jordan soaring into the air and dunking. Truth is he had a million ways to score. There was nothing he couldn't do. He had a killer midrange game. He could score behind the arc. He had a great post-up game, especially later in his career.

His quickness and feints were akin to a running back, no one could keep up with him, and he would keep doing them until you eventually couldn't keep up. He used his toughness, esp. after the first few years when he put on muscle. If he was doubled, in a split second, he saw the 2nd defender, knew who on his team was guarded by that man, where he was on the court, and found him immediately with the ball for an easy score.

His IQ in the moment was stunning; as if we were calculating all the probabilities he had, exhausting every one in seconds, before deciding on the winning algorithm. And then storing in his head what worked against any defensive arrangement by the opponent, and using that later on. He was the closest thing to basketball artificial intelligence engine that improved on every iteration. On both ends of the court- offense and defense.

His scoring versatility (mentioned earlier) and peak athleticism is what allowed him to act on all this information.

During that period, the Bulls won every playoff series against the Knicks (except 94 when the Bulls were without Jordan). Of the series we lost, the 1992 playoffs were the only one we took it to 7 games. We won the first game. By the last game, the Bulls beat the Knicks by 29 points (!), a total shellacking, with Jordan scoring over 50% and scoring 42 points. The Bulls wont 110-81. 110 was massive back then in the playoffs- neither team in the first 6 games scored over 100 points.

By 1996, the last time during this era the two teams faced off in the playoffs, the Bulls won the series 4-1, no contest.

I could go on but I won't. Every athlete sizes up his opponent and tries to come up with ways to beat them based on some assessment. None of them were as good at it as Jordan.
    Yup

He was different

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Phil Jackson mentioned this in one of his books: how MJ would naturally notice weaknesses in opponents and sought to exploit them relentlessly. He would notice things the coaching staff didn't notice. MJ mentioned how he used this against himself to perfect his game.

Being a predator seems to run in the family...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

MJ was on a level above the super star as Bird was during his era.

MJ when he walked on the court , he claimed it his domain .

THAT IS WHY HE IS THE GOAT.

Decent playground baller

Having the officials on his side didn't hurt.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    Also a Knicks fan, which is why I hate all the goats. Jordan stood in the Knicks way so many times, do they get at least 1 ring if there is no Jordan? About 99% sure they do.
    I think they would. The Knicks made it to the NBA finals the one year Jordan was absent during his baseball stint, beating the Jordanless Bulls 4-3. They barely lost 3-4 against the Rockets in the Finals. Game 7 decided by just 6 points. With that tight a margin, I have to believe having more chances would have resulted in a ring. His training helped, but Jordan also had the good luck to stay healthy during all those playoffs. Too bad his baseball career didn't take off
    Last edited by bdonovan; 03-03-2024 at 08:28 AM.