Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: Chet vs VW today - Spurs rare win (Chet still Rookie of the Year?)

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

I defer to Xia on this one.

Advanced analytics? According to him they back up Chet.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CurryOverLebron View Post
    Wembys championship while the Thunder enjoy a top seed

Very nice. Glad he could lead them to their 12th win on the season

Me and ImKobe gonna be on the same side once LeBron retires I just realized. Wemby uniting everyone besides the completely hopeless morons

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Bet on Chet then.
    Who would bet on a pre-determined outcome?

I can show you all the advanced metrics that have Chet above Wemby. I can show you the dramatic team success difference taking a 10 seed to a 2 and potentially 1 seed.

It doesn't matter because it's a popularity voting contest with no objective backing. So if I did bet on anybody it would be the popular guy but at -1000 or worse odds the payout isn't even remotely worth the risk with the only risk being wemby getting hurt.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    I defer to Xia on this one.

Advanced analytics? According to him they back up Chet.
    going to be a tough sell on ISH. ISH is more into hype

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Who would bet on a pre-determined outcome?

I can show you all the advanced metrics that have Chet above Wemby. I can show you the dramatic team success difference taking a 10 seed to a 2 and potentially 1 seed.

It doesn't matter because it's a popularity voting contest with no objective backing. So if I did bet on anybody it would be the popular guy but at -1000 or worse odds the payout isn't even remotely worth the risk with the only risk being wemby getting hurt.
    It seems like others have the same feeling. Which is why the odds are as skewed as they are.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    If we have historically looked at team records for individual accomplishments for whatever reason (MVP award), same should be said for the ROY award.

Spurs are 12-48
    OKC are 41-18

As close as the two are, that record difference has to mean something
    Agree, plus like I wrote, based on record, Chet's team improved with him. VW's team got worse.

Both teams have the same main players as the year before.

SGA and Jalen were good last year too. Giddey was better last year.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    It *should* come down to the next month and a half.

Wemby’s hot right now and people are calling him the GOAT. He was cold two months ago and people were writing him off.

Nobody has any patience or perspective. He was nowhere near as bad as some were saying when his numbers were down, and his recent numbers could also prove to be a bit of an outlier. Or maybe theyre here to stay.

Let’s let it play out. If he keeps up this same level for the remainder of the season he should have it in the bag. If he cools off it might well go to Chet for being consistent the whole year with more pressure/expectations due to starting on a team playing for something.

People talk like every moment is the only moment that ever happened. Newsflash: Theres a past and a future to consider as well. Sit tight and see how the rest of the season goes.

good post. Agree with all, except my vote still goes to Chet as of today.

We'll see what happens. If the momentum remains, I would vote Co rookies.

To vote VW, they would need a major winning streak of meaningful games. Have to improve record from last year for me.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    That's not true lol. They've definitely changed their bench + SGA and Jalen Williams upped their 3PT efficiency by a significant margin. Chet obviously helps a lot too but you don't give a 3rd option the ROTY over the guy who's playing like a superstar because of team success. This is not the MVP award. If they both played in the same role and put up similar numbers then sure, I could agree with what you and the Toody stan are saying, but that's not the case.
    it's clear you and other posters have VW derangement syndrome. He is ok without you making up nonsense to defend him. OKC is largely the same team as last year. Using your own opinion, Why do you think SGA and Jalen are playing better this year? Probably Chet impact. I think they are playing the same except for Chet impact. They played very well last year individually but you only hear about them because of their great record with Chet.

VW really has empty stats without wins. Fun to watch him play though. Yesterday, he hit his 3s and dominated as his team hit open shots. If they win, I would consider VW a ROY or superstar but he is potential with empty stats now.

You love Chet because he is white. We get it.

Spurs front office is now questioning if they should get Wemby help now rather than keep tanking for draft picks. So what do these advanced stats look like when Wemby is playing on a better team with a better supporting cast? Victor is a better player than Chet. Period. You are retarded to say otherwise. Morons wondering why a tanking team hasn't won more games. Get outta here.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Me and ImKobe gonna be on the same side once LeBron retires I just realized. Wemby uniting everyone besides the completely hopeless morons
    Depends. I think his hype currently is justified and he's easily the better rookie, but I'm not gonna be rooting for the Spurs to win shit when it comes down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer28 View Post
    it's clear you and other posters have VW derangement syndrome. He is ok without you making up nonsense to defend him. OKC is largely the same team as last year. Using your own opinion, Why do you think SGA and Jalen are playing better this year? Probably Chet impact. I think they are playing the same except for Chet impact. They played very well last year individually but you only hear about them because of their great record with Chet.

VW really has empty stats without wins. Fun to watch him play though. Yesterday, he hit his 3s and dominated as his team hit open shots. If they win, I would consider VW a ROY or superstar but he is potential with empty stats now.
    So player improvement is now credited to a rookie 3rd option , like Jalen Williams wouldn't have improved in his 2nd season without him, right? They added more role players and rookies who are also shooting lights out from 3 off the bench without Chet on the floor, but I think we also need to give him credit for that. I'm sure he just inspired everyone (even the new players & rookies like Cason Wallace) to shoot lights out from 3.

Chet's On/Off numbers are not that great (+1.7 Net Rating), they're still scoring and defending at a similar rate when he's on the bench. His impact on D is definitely there IMO but now we're giving a 3rd option all the credit for team success which is fking stupid.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Rarely do fans of sports look more foolish than acting like people on good teams are inherently better than people on bad teams, as if a franchise being incentivized to lose has nothing to do with it. The thunder a play in team that rounded into form and only missed being in the playoffs outright because of a late losing streak when SGA was out. They had the runner-up rookie of the year who is like 19 or 20 and has improved the way virtually all such players do. They also add Chet to this natural progression and are improved as they should be. The entire core of that team is set. They have no more incentive to lose. Theyre good on schedule to be good or at best a year ahead of it like the Kings last year or Memphis.

The Spurs would be total idiots to even attempt to be .500. They won 22 games last year and were rewarded with one of the greatest prospects in basketball history. Will one of you people talking about empty stats please tell me what anyone in that organization gains by winning games right now? Why would Pop be making decisions to win games? Why would the front office or ownership be pushing to win games? You think they’re watching games legitimately wondering what the problem is?

You’re on here acting like he would be personally more impressive if his franchise were being ****ing idiots.

He’s been individually judged by his franchise not being stupid enough to push for irrelevant wins that make the rebuild harder. A team that does not have its full core of the future would be idiots to push for mediocrity. They are out there ****ing around because the franchise has zero reason to do anything but **** around.

this isn’t 1998. They don’t have David Robinson to add to the star rookie after the clear tank. They still need to draft his other guy. And maybe his other other guy depending on chemistry issues.

The ideal outcome for this team is to get two more lottery picks, then concern themselves with winning. You can’t really evaluate if people on teams trying to suck are winners or not.

When comparing great players, does anyone ever bring up the ROY award? Of course not. It just isn't that important.

The important things are that both guys have been healthy and look really good. Playing in the same conference this could end up being a long term rivalry which the league could really benefit from.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Rarely do fans of sports look more foolish than acting like people on good teams are inherently better than people on bad teams, as if a franchise being incentivized to lose has nothing to do with it. The thunder a play in team that rounded into form and only missed being in the playoffs outright because of a late losing streak when SGA was out. They had the runner-up rookie of the year who is like 19 or 20 and has improved the way virtually all such players do. They also add Chet to this natural progression and are improved as they should be. The entire core of that team is set. They have no more incentive to lose. Theyre good on schedule to be good or at best a year ahead of it like the Kings last year or Memphis.

The Spurs would be total idiots to even attempt to be .500. They won 22 games last year and were rewarded with one of the greatest prospects in basketball history. Will one of you people talking about empty stats please tell me what anyone in that organization gains by winning games right now? Why would Pop be making decisions to win games? Why would the front office or ownership be pushing to win games? You think they’re watching games legitimately wondering what the problem is?

You’re on here acting like he would be personally more impressive if his franchise were being ****ing idiots.

He’s been individually judged by his franchise not being stupid enough to push for irrelevant wins that make the rebuild harder. A team that does not have its full core of the future would be idiots to push for mediocrity. They are out there ****ing around because the franchise has zero reason to do anything but **** around.

this isn’t 1998. They don’t have David Robinson to add to the star rookie after the clear tank. They still need to draft his other guy. And maybe his other other guy depending on chemistry issues.

The ideal outcome for this team is to get two more lottery picks, then concern themselves with winning. You can’t really evaluate if people on teams trying to suck are winners or not.

So you are saying that winning doesn't matter?

'Rarely do fans of sports look more foolish than acting like people on good teams are inherently better than people on bad teams, as if a franchise being incentivized to lose has nothing to do with it.'

Again, VW has great potential but his poor fg%, shot selection, and turnovers is why Spurs have a worse record - not some master plan.

He is clearly trying to win.

His contribution to winning on the court is by far less than Chet.

You posters can hiss about it but the facts remain like my original post.

Spurs, worse record with VW
    Thunder, much better record with Chet.

Yes, Chet gets a lot of the credit for the improvement. It is deserved. The other change closest to major is Cason Wallace - a bench player with 20 minutes a game.

Otherwise, most players are the same except Dort and Giddey are scoring and playing less. SGA and Jalen are about the same (Jalen shooting better from 3) and SGA slightly higher statistics except scoring.

Coach same.

Most players in rotation the same.

You all not giving Chet credit for the team's improvements have failed. Be better. At least I am honest. VW has great potential. He will learn and play better with a good PG.

For now, he is not ROY to me. He is not an all star. He could be MVP in the future though.