Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Chet vs VW today - Spurs rare win (Chet still Rookie of the Year?)

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    The Spurs obviously didn't get the memo considering they beat OKC last night
    well, it would be unrealistic to win no games. But I doubt anybody above the player level is stupid enough to think it’s in their best interest. It’s like the NFL. You can’t tell players to tank. But you can take action to minimize the chance that you win a lot. Subtle difference but we all made peace with it long ago. The players will never just…want to lose. Players don’t care about some kid coming to take one of their jobs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Wemby should be ROTY because he is the best but the odds are ridiculous. -1350 for Wemby and +1000 for Chet. Those are landslide odds like a pro team facing a college team or something. The marketing machine is behind wembanyama.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Wemby should be ROTY because he is the best but the odds are ridiculous. -1350 for Wemby and +1000 for Chet. Those are landslide odds like a pro team facing a college team or something. The marketing machine is behind wembanyama.
    that isn’t what odds are. They’re predicting who is gonna win And setting odds for the purposes Of not losing money on the bets. If he’s obviously going to win, you should make him a giant favorite, even if he’s going to win by barely being better by a decisive majority of voters. Most of the votes thinking you’re a little better makes you an incredibly obvious favorite. It doesn’t mean all the voters think it isn’t even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    that isn’t what odds are. They’re predicting who is gonna win And setting odds for the purposes Of not losing money on the bets. If he’s obviously going to win, you should make him a giant favorite, even if he’s going to win by barely being better by a decisive majority of voters. Most of the votes thinking you’re a little better makes you an incredibly obvious favorite. It doesn’t mean all the voters think it isn’t even close.
    You don't think I know what odds are? I've been studying them for years. Even if their productions are similar everybody knows the NBA marketing machine is behind wembanyama way more than boring Chet and its pretty much impossible for him to not win it. Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it.

When comparing odds between an obvious award winner, and an athletic competition between different levels it feels like you don’t know what odds are nor their function.

when one guy should obviously win, barring some unforeseeable incident or injury you should make him a giant favorite. Has nothing to do with any hype machine or the merits of the argument. It’s about not losing money.

NBA Superstar

You don't think I know what odds are? I've been studying them for years. Even if their productions are similar everybody knows the NBA marketing machine is behind wembanyama way more than boring Chet and its pretty much impossible for him to not win it. Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it.
    So you think Chet deserves it then?

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    So you think Chet deserves it then?
    They have similar volume but Chets advanced metrics are far superior. He's producing on 124 ORTG with a huge positive differential split while Wemby is producing @ a paltry 104 ORTG and a negative differential.

Now when I factor in situation wembys is obviously much tougher so we have to take it with a grain of salt... because his talent is unreal and I can see based off that alone he is the favorite.

But to be a totally dominant favorite like that? Nah... it's clear the NBA marketing machine has influenced the general public to think it aint close but in reality on the court performance Chet has been better and he's done it on a top seeded team.

Good High School Starter

It's not really close. If they switched teams mid season, that would become abundantly clear to posters that hold your position.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    It's not really close. If they switched teams mid season, that would become abundantly clear to posters that hold your position.
    No surprise it’s infamous ISH Dimbulbs who can’t understand context like Xiao and Tpols arguing for Chet.

I'm looking at OKCs roster from last year when they were the 10 seed aka borderline lotto. They have all the same players ~ SGA, Jalen, Giddy, Dort etc. This year Chet starts and there a 2 seed almost a 1 seed in a brutal West.

The only difference in their team is Chet joining. He obviously has unreal impact. Extreme efficiency and he plays defense. Saying it's not close is absurd but I understand why when it's obvious the money machine is behind wemby.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

I'm looking at OKCs roster from last year when they were the 10 seed aka borderline lotto. They have all the same players ~ SGA, Jalen, Giddy, Dort etc. This year Chet starts and there a 2 seed almost a 1 seed in a brutal West.

The only difference in their team is Chet joining. He obviously has unreal impact. Extreme efficiency and he plays defense. Saying it's not close is absurd but I understand why when it's obvious the money machine is behind wemby.
    Chet joining and young guys improving. Jalen is a lot better player this year

To be fair Jalen was not the same player last year as a rookie.

It *should* come down to the next month and a half.

Wemby’s hot right now and people are calling him the GOAT. He was cold two months ago and people were writing him off.

Nobody has any patience or perspective. He was nowhere near as bad as some were saying when his numbers were down, and his recent numbers could also prove to be a bit of an outlier. Or maybe theyre here to stay.

Let’s let it play out. If he keeps up this same level for the remainder of the season he should have it in the bag. If he cools off it might well go to Chet for being consistent the whole year with more pressure/expectations due to starting on a team playing for something.

People talk like every moment is the only moment that ever happened. Newsflash: Theres a past and a future to consider as well. Sit tight and see how the rest of the season goes.

NBA Superstar

They have similar volume but Chets advanced metrics are far superior. He's producing on 124 ORTG with a huge positive differential split while Wemby is producing @ a paltry 104 ORTG and a negative differential.

Now when I factor in situation wembys is obviously much tougher so we have to take it with a grain of salt... because his talent is unreal and I can see based off that alone he is the favorite.

But to be a totally dominant favorite like that? Nah... it's clear the NBA marketing machine has influenced the general public to think it aint close but in reality on the court performance Chet has been better and he's done it on a top seeded team.
    Bet on Chet then.

That's not true lol. They've definitely changed their bench + SGA and Jalen Williams upped their 3PT efficiency by a significant margin. Chet obviously helps a lot too but you don't give a 3rd option the ROTY over the guy who's playing like a superstar because of team success. This is not the MVP award. If they both played in the same role and put up similar numbers then sure, I could agree with what you and the Toody stan are saying, but that's not the case.